6 replies to this topic

#1 cadis

cadis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Not having children currently attending CHS, I had not paid a lot of attention to what goes on there.  A certain picture of a student athlete came to my attention recently.  Very clear that he had been smoking marijuana.  It didn't take much inquiry to find out that some of CHS' sports teams have quite a bad reputation for drug use and that it is a major reason for some of the recent coaching changes.  The lack of authority to do anything such as drug test (unlike Clarksville High School) has led to a lot of frustration on the part of the coaching staff.  As many may know, drug abuse and its inherent community impacts often begin in high school.  Are we going to see Charlestown become like Austin?  

We will soon be having an influx of new people due to the bridges.  They will be looking at our community and its schools.  Will CHS be a bright spot that attracts upstanding people that contribute to a community or will it become like Austin, a black eye on the entire state and a national embarrassment?

It's up to us....it's time to start taking action.

• knowledge likes this

#2 cadis

cadis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

I would add that Trinity, Providence, St.X drug test as well. If the private schools aren't too good to do this why can't GCCC schools?

#3 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Welcome to chatter.
I don't know what picture you are talking about or who you have talked to but if you feel there is drug use I would think the school would be the place to let your voice be heard and not the chatter unless it is a for sure fact. The school does not tolerate drug use and to say
some sports teams have a reputation for drug use is a pretty broad statement. I don't know who you have talked to but if not the school or coaches, you need to. A blanket statement that includes all kids playing a sport is not fair. Most all kids playing sports work very hard to be the best. As far as I know, no coach has left because of kids using drugs.
Mr. Roland at the school would be the person to talk with. So many rumors get started without people checking facts. I still have grandkids in high school and it has a lot of good things going on there.
  • ctownmom, Donna, backinthegame and 1 other like this

#4 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

I'm unsure how you can determine marijuana use from a photo, and going from an assumption one kid smoked pot once to the situation in Austin is a mighty big leap.
  • ctownmom, masey, CityBoy and 5 others like this

#5 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

I'm sure there are a few athletes at EVERY school who are involved in things they shouldn't be.  But I've had kids involved in sports at CHS, and I don't know of a huge problem.  And to say coaches are leaving because so many athletes are doing drugs, seems to be a ridiculous statement.  Coach Ward just left to coach at his alma mater, who wouldn't take that opportunity?  A couple of years ago the girl's basketball coach was let go.  Coach Smith left the boys basketball program to go back to his hometown as well, if I'm right.  And Kevin Zollman, the softball coach is retiring.  And I know for a fact, that has nothing to do with drug use on the team.  The only other coach I can think of who has left is Jason Hawkins.  So I think saying coaches are leaving because CHS is a drug den is a pretty far stretch...

• Donna likes this

#6 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

I once heard a very good law enforcement official make a comment at a Rotary Club lunch that seems worth repeating here. He made the statement after school officials pretty much said there were no drug problems in their schools. He was then asked if the schools had drug problems from his perspective. His statement was thought-provoking. He first said that from a law enforcement perspective, the community where he served had significant problems with drug use and trafficking. He then said that schools are extensions and reflections of their communities. If the community has a problem(s) with drugs, it stands to reasons that the schools have very similar problems.  

Edited by Holy Cow, 26 May 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#7 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

I didn't say there are no drugs at CHS.  But, I don't believe there is more of a problem at CHS than at any other high school.  There isn't a school that doesn't have drugs.  Not one.

• Donna and Woodslover like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users