692 replies to this topic

#621 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

IM, I mentioned this a long time ago, but I really like to do research on issues and I do my best to stay out of lobbying efforts. I would be happy to share what I have found through research and what I know about issues, but I much prefer avoid engaging with those who serve in the Indiana Statehouse

That's fine.  Feel free to share your research at any time.  You can send me a PM if you like.   Thanks for the help.  

Getting a law changed is a difficult and time-consuming task, but it is not impossible.   I was pleased that we were able to get the law changed regarding criminal activity of school board members as quickly as we did.  Unfortunately, it was not retroactive and the person who made this law change necessary still has not had the good sense and integrity to resign.  None of her fellow board members seem to think that having a felon on the board is a problem. (These are supposedly educated people, right??? )  I am still shaking my head over that one!   So glad the law has now been changed thanks to Rep. Stemler.  

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 27 January 2016 - 08:33 AM.

• apirateatheart likes this

#622 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

I listened to the new Jeff High "Red Devil Network" this weekend and found it very enjoyable. I look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

#623 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

I listened to the new Jeff High "Red Devil Network" this weekend and found it very enjoyable. I look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

Was it worth a few million

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Avid Reader and 2 others like this

#624 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Was it worth a few million

4.5 million

• kelley likes this

#625 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

4.5 million

...that could have been spent on buildings that are supposedly unsecure, moldy and falling down.
  • IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#626 Huston

Huston

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

I've actually seen some pictures and heard some people talking about it. First Class experience for the students! Good for the future media students at JHS!

#627 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

I've actually seen some pictures and heard some people talking about it. First Class experience for the students! Good for the future media students at JHS!

Was it $4.5 million of first class experience in those pictures? Did the future look so bright that it could counter the experience of breathing in alleged mold?
  • CityBoy, Tina and Donna like this

#628 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

I find it interesting that Dench said there is "none other like it in the country" ----- hmmm, I wonder where all the people in radio and tv today got their start. Obviously, many of them were quite successful without a state-of-the-art high school radio station. This is overkill when there are so many other schools that need work -- and programs that could benefit many more students than will benefit from this project. It is nothing more than Melin's "pet project" because he was involved in radio when in high school. It is a very, very expensive project -- just like the $6 million he wants to spend on a fancy new bus compound. I hope he never again tries to tell people that there are schools that are in disrepair.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 02 February 2016 - 07:45 PM.

• Donna likes this

#629 Huston

Huston

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

Was it $4.5 million of first class experience in those pictures? Did the future look so bright that it could counter the experience of breathing in alleged mold?

I will just say that a friend of mine in that works in radio and has worked in major markets called it first class. If anyone would know, it would be him. Happy for our future media stars.

#630 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

At $4.5 MILLION, it ought to be first class! 

Meanwhile, we keep hearing how school buildings are in need, and, now, the bus compound is in need.  We can't/won't spend money maintaining infrastructure, but we love to spend dollars on pet projects.

Future media stars?  Um, my brother, who would know, has worked in radio for over thirty years . . . he would tell you that it has mostly gone to pre-programming. 

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#631 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

Just wondering how many JHS graduates have gone on to be "media stars"?? Any idea what our projected return on investment is?

Perhaps we should spend millions on a mock courtroom for our future 'courtroom lawyers' to get experience

or maybe a mock hospital for students to practice being nurses & doctors?

or maybe a hotel on campus for students wanting to go into hotel management?

or maybe a restaurant for our future chefs?

or maybe an airplane on campus would be a great way for our future pilots to get training.....

or maybe we should spend a couple million more at the auto tech facility in Charlestown --- auto technicians are in high demand and the students deserve a top notch facility like none other in the country.

or maybe.........

Or Maybe we should realize this is HIGH SCHOOL --- not COLLEGE. Maybe we should STOP overdoing it -- and fix the schools that are supposedly in disrepair where ALL our children learn rather than catering to a small number who may be future "media stars".

I am certainly not against a high school newspaper or a high school radio station --- BUT $4.5 million to build a radio station that is like "none other in the country" is an obscene waste of taxpayer dollars.
  • kelley and Donna like this

#632 Huston

Huston

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

Talk and Sports Talk radio has exploded over the past decade. Not to mention podcast which some people are also doing quite well at. 

#633 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

I think this is an argument that begs a conversation about spending and strategically planned spending. For the sake of comparison, please indulge me in drawing a comparison outside of Greater Clark. I do this to make a point at a higher level and avoid getting bogged down in specific examples.

Start with general spending practices. Let's look at New Albany-Floyd County Schools. They recently lost a referendum in an overwhelming fashion similar to GCS. Prior to, during and after that loss, they have spent millions of dollars on things like turfing their football stadia, overhauling sports locker rooms in a manner that could be considered the envy of many low-major to mid-major Division I NCAA universities, and renovating a closed elementary school. All of that is without consideration of spending they have done in the school corporation's general fund by allowing certain coaches to teach less than their colleagues. They are now considering another pass at a referendum.

Now let's shift the focus to strategic spending. NAFCS will try to sell the community of a "strategically planned" spend that will be at least as much, if not more than their last effort. They have engaged and/or will engage in a thorough facilities study to guide their decisions on scope for their strategic spend. They will likely hire a communications consultant to help them sell this strategic spend to the community, and they will work like the dickens to get it accomplished.

My point in that rambling is that all of what is in the last two paragraphs sounds crazily familiar with what has and is continuing to happen at GCS. GCS like NAFCS routinely pursue general spending that excites special interests (sports, radio, ROTC, etc.), is done in a rather unstrategic manner (regardless of the fact that school corporations do these flimsy 3-Year Capital Project Plan that they would argue is strategic), and done without regard to how those spends would cohesively fit into a true strategic spending decision-making process that would have appeal beyond those special interests. When they do pursue a referendum that is the result of a "strategic facilities plan" the community pushes back because it sees money spent on special interests as opposed to those things that the school corporation says it needs in the strategic plan. That creates the pushback you see on this thread.

To take this a step further, what if GCS used its Capital Project Plan and funds to force the GCS facilities and maintenance leadership to keep schools maintained, cleaned and appropriated updated so that strategic spending could do what it is supposed to do? I digress, but that is a personnel issue as well as a fiscal planning issue...

To conclude, the issues of Capital Project Fund spending and strategic facilities planning for the purpose of a referendum should be done together in order to avoid these conflicts that arise from spending decisions and referenda planning and pursuits. This comprehensive approach could go a long way in eliminating the divisiness in the community over these issues.
  • kelley likes this

#634 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

Great for Jeff High and its students as well as the community that can enjoy their hard work and dedication. 

#635 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Huston - I don't recall reading from anyone that the radio facility is not first class.   What I do read, is that they question the priorities of GCCS.   Do you have a response to their questions and why the amount spent on the radio station is justified given the other needs in the district?

And could someone refresh my memory....where did the money for the radio station come from?   Was it CPF, General Fund, or did they borrow it?

#636 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Huston - I don't recall reading from anyone that the radio facility is not first class.   What I do read, is that they question the priorities of GCCS.   Do you have a response to their questions and why the amount spent on the radio station is justified given the other needs in the district?

And could someone refresh my memory....where did the money for the radio station come from?   Was it CPF, General Fund, or did they borrow it?

Integrity Matters posted this on March 15, 2015:

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

Kelley --- this is connected to the other thread.   The bonds to be issued are for $4.5 million..   It covers the radio stations at JHS, CHS and NWHS with a "little" leftover for "whatever".   The cost of the radio stations was said to be about $1.9 mill for JHS; $1.7 for CHS and only $120,000 or so for NWHS --- not sure why so much less for NWHS.   I do know from the claims registers that someone has been buying a lot of equipment for the radio program from BestBuy on the school's credit card -- before the bond issue was approved.

This is such a waste of money when we had a good program with Mr. Gross.    

REMEMBER this when the school system starts to close neighborhood schools and tries to push a tax referendum on the taxpayers to build a bunch of new schools.

http://clarkcountych...262-channel-25/   is the thread I found IM's quote on.

#637 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

I am confused.   Is there one radio station, or three?

#638 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Didn't they also install TV broadcasting equipment at Charlestown High School several years ago?  I think Mayor Hall got C'town taxpayers to foot the bill, or most of it.  Next thing I know, Hall has a campaign video featuring a supporter whose grandson was one of the school's "newscasters."  See Channel 25.

Edited by CityBoy, 03 February 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#639 Sweetpea

Sweetpea

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

so how many more years until the TV station is broadcasting?  

#640 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Breakfast Club Observation

GCCS

Agenda Item Details
Meeting
Feb 16, 2016 - Special Meeting (7:00 PM)
Category
Action Items
Subject
Authorization to Dispose of Real Propery
Type
Action
Recommended Action
The Superintendent recommends beginning the statutory procedure to sell the twenty-five (25) acres of land on Jeffersonville-Charlestown Pike.
Background Information: Greater Clark has owned twenty-five (25) acres of land on Jeffersonville-Charlestown Pike for a number of years. Developers have shown some interest in purchasing this land from GCCS. In order to sell the land the following procedures are to be followed:
1) The School Board authorizes by public vote for the Superintendent to begin the disposal process.
2) The property is appraised by two (2) licensed/independent appraisers.
3) The property is advertised for bid via a Notice to Bidders
4) A specific date must be set to open the bids and the bids are then open for public inspection.
a. A bidder may raise his bid per IC 36-1-11-4(d)
5) The sale continues from day to day for not more than sixty (60) days. However, the disposing agent may sell the property before the expiration of the sixty (60) days to the highest and best bidder.
6) Upon a determination that there is a highest and best use bidder and that the property should be sold to that company or individual, a Public Hearing is scheduled and conducted allowing the public to comment on the proposed sale.
7) Upon the Superintendent’s recommendation, the sale of the property is considered and then voted upon by the school board during a public meeting.
Tonight’s action is step one in the process for the possible sale of this land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users