692 replies to this topic

#21 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

I've been in Maple and Parkview.  They are fine.  We need to stop being a throw-away society... Resources are getting scarce. Clean, paint, etc. and use what we have, and spend any extra money on teachers.  That brand new, well pretty near, administration building they just built was a perfect example of a waste of tax dollars. 

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 4 others like this

#22 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

FYI Parkview was just renovated by a grant.

#23 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

This "plan" will result in only 3 elementary schools in the Jeffersonville area ---- Parkview, Northaven and Wilson.   Each school will have 650 to 750 students.   Is this what neighborhoods really want??   Is this what will help our communities?   How much more will it cost to bus all these kids to only 3 schools -- many of whom walked to their neighborhood schools?    And there will still only be 2 middle schools --- River Valley and a new one built out towards Port Road.   All these kids will be bused as well.    I don't see how this will attract people to move to the Greater Clark area  -- people will continue to move to West Clark or live on the Louisville side of the new bridge.  

And if I heard correctly last night, Corden Porter and the Clark County Middle High would be moved into Bridgepointe.   Corden Porter was just recently renovated and is beautiful.   Why on earth would those kids be sent to Bridgepointe?    What will happen with the "old" buildings --- Maple, Spring Hill, TJ, Corden Porter....????

Would love to see this illustrious 300 page feasibility study but the admin will not release it to the public.   I heard they told someone last night that they won't release it until they have time to "edit" it and "clean it up"!    What does that mean?   I can only imagine!

• kelley, Donna and toomanytoofew like this

#24 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

That we paid for a study we can't see boggles the mind.

#25 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

I'm sure if the admin folks took a pay decrease and eliminated some of the positions they could then get the money needed.  Plus, they all don't have to built all at once.  

I'm all for new and improved but not when its not needed.  Do away with board members benefits, Melin's perks, gravy train positions for coaches, and a 10% reduction in staff and pay for the admin. That should help save money.  As well as eliminate some other costs besides teachers and their salaries.  Then we can talk.

• kelley and Donna like this

#26 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

Vote to raise your taxes so we can close your kids' school!

That better be one helluva communications consultant they hire to sell such a stinky, stinky turd.

Edited by kelley, 07 May 2015 - 12:25 PM.

• Tina and Donna like this

#27 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

This "plan" will result in only 3 elementary schools in the Jeffersonville area ---- Parkview, Northaven and Wilson.   Each school will have 650 to 750 students.   Is this what neighborhoods really want??   Is this what will help our communities?   How much more will it cost to bus all these kids to only 3 schools -- many of whom walked to their neighborhood schools?    And there will still only be 2 middle schools --- River Valley and a new one built out towards Port Road.   All these kids will be bused as well.    I don't see how this will attract people to move to the Greater Clark area  -- people will continue to move to West Clark or live on the Louisville side of the new bridge.  

And if I heard correctly last night, Corden Porter and the Clark County Middle High would be moved into Bridgepointe.   Corden Porter was just recently renovated and is beautiful.   Why on earth would those kids be sent to Bridgepointe?    What will happen with the "old" buildings --- Maple, Spring Hill, TJ, Corden Porter....????

Would love to see this illustrious 300 page feasibility study but the admin will not release it to the public.   I heard they told someone last night that they won't release it until they have time to "edit" it and "clean it up"!    What does that mean?   I can only imagine!

Was there any mention of Riverside elementary? It was just rebuilt from the ground up a few years ago.

#28 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

The Agreement between the "consultant" and the school system states the following:

I.  SERVICES PROVIDED BY CONSULTANT:  Consultant shall provide advisory and consultation services for the School Corporation's study of a possible building referendum campaign seeking an increase in property taxes to fund capital projects or other lawful reason including:

A.  Work with School Corporation representatives to establish campaign plan, budget and timelines;

B.  Establish referendum committee consisting of membership of which shall be subject to approval of the School Corp.'s Superintendent;

C.  Advise and communicate with stakeholders, including but not limited to committee and subcommittee members, volunteers, and School

Corporation representatives about the referendum campaign process, procedures and message;

D.  Assist in development and proposal of campaign materials, including paid media and earned media, subject to approval of School

Corporation's Superintendent;

E.  Serve as liaison between School Corporation and committee/subcommittee(s);

F.  Attend meetings with School Corporation representatives, committee and subcommittee meetings as coordinated with School Corporation;

G.  Maintain and propose adjustments of campaign calendar;

H.  Coordinate campaign operations, including but not limited to contribution sourcing and collection, expense review, and recordkeeping,

with assistance of committee and subcommittee(s), subject to approval of School Corporation's Superintendent;

I.  Coordinate campaign equipment, facilities and voter database; and,

J.  Other services as deemed necessary by Consultant and School Corporation.

II.  DURATION:  This Agreement shall commence on July9, 2014 and expire on May 15, 2015..........

III.  COMPENSATION:  School Corporation will pay Consultant for the Services performed hereunder an amount not to exceed Fifty Thousand Dollars

($50,000.00) due and payable in installments... (installment dates between June 1, 2014 and December 1, 2014 -- note all installments have been paid)

B.  In the event the School Corporation is successful in  referendum(s) or project(s) success during the term hereof, School Corporation will pay

Consultant an additional installment in the amount of $5,000.00 for each successful referendum or project within fifteen days of certification of the

results of the referendum or certification of non-remonstrance results.

IV.  STATUS OF CONSULTANT:  In performance of the duties and obligations of this Agreement, Consultant shall be and is at all times an independent

contractor of School Corporation.  Nothing in this Agreement is intended nor shall be construed to create an employer/employee relationship.....

(NOTE: -- This agreement was approved by the Board under "Personnel"!!)

The consultant is Steve Klink, First Tuesday Communications.   The agreement was signed on July 9th, 2014 by Klink, Mark Pavey and Jerry White

The school corporation has been planning this referendum for over a year now yet they refuse to release any information on the facilities study to the public.   They want anyone who is opposed to have as little time as possible to prepare a campaign against this.  

#29 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

Snowman --- They said that Riverside, Utica and New Washington schools did not need renovations at this time.

#30 Goldwater Girl

Goldwater Girl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

I attended Eastlawn and Middle Road elementary, Parkview and Jeff High. Middle Road was built in the 1920's I believe, and has since been turned into condos. it was not fancy, but the principal and teachers were some of the best. They had a couple that liked to "discipline" the students but I think we turned out okay. I think the problem with GCCS is quality of teachers(somewhat), quality of curriculum, and the general penal institution that Jeff High has become. If you're not in Honors classes, the teacher has little control over the classroom. The other thing that's rarely mentioned, is the lack of parental involvement for so many kids. New and nicer buildings will not  change what's going on at home.

• GrumpyGranny and karen like this

#31 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

I think the problem with GCCS is quality of teachers(somewhat), quality of curriculum, and the general penal institution that Jeff High has become. If you're not in Honors classes, the teacher has little control over the classroom. The other thing that's rarely mentioned, is the lack of parental involvement for so many kids. New and nicer buildings will not  change what's going on at home.

And Melin wants Jeff High to be bigger and bring in more dollars, regardless of the quality of the experience. Does this show he cares about the kids? His son wants a radio station, so there will be a radio station. My neighbor children next door want to be in a classes with less than 32 students in them, yet GCCS is spending $60,000 on two radio towers. That money would almost pay for two first year teachers which would reduce class size. Who cares about kids or just his own kid (and his radio/TV crony)? Please explain all of this to me?

This would be for the kids. We are not voting on paying the administration more money. 

But we also are not seeing any pay cuts, hiring freezes, or reduction in force at the administrative level. Until Melin cuts the fat at the top, I will not vote yes for any referendum. Please do not attempt to shame us with the "it's for the kids" mantra. If I hear that one more time I am going to regurgitate. I do care about kids. I care enough to question those in charge of the decision making that directly affects those kids. I expect better from those making the decisions.  

I'm sure if the admin folks took a pay decrease and eliminated some of the positions they could then get the money needed.  Plus, they all don't have to built all at once.  

I'm all for new and improved but not when its not needed.  Do away with board members benefits, Melin's perks, gravy train positions for coaches, and a 10% reduction in staff and pay for the admin. That should help save money.  As well as eliminate some other costs besides teachers and their salaries.  Then we can talk.

Amen sfizer! Amen!

• kelley and Donna like this

#32 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Is it just coincidence that they want to close the schools closest to downtown? The schools that possibly have a larger percentage of kids from lower income families? 

#33 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Is it just coincidence that they want to close the schools closest to downtown? The schools that possibly have a larger percentage of kids from lower income families?

No. The think "those people" lack the resources to fight it, and they don't get, can't relate to, the hardship losing those schools will inflict.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#34 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

Also they plan to move the middle school (Parkview) much farther east --- into a brand new building-- in hopes, in my opinion, of attracting the Utica and Riverside students who are seeking alternate middle schools for their students. But that leaves the downtown kids high and dry with a long bus ride each day to get to middle school. Downtown will be left with no schools at all - sad.
  • Donna likes this

#35 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Slightly off topic in a way, I guess...but what I see in the future is downtown Jeff will someday be known as old Jeff; much like the original Clarksville is now fondly known as old Clarksville. Keep moving east, Jeff, and fail to maintain your downtown.  Take away their schools and their sense of community and sit back and watch those areas dry up. Keep moving the town east; make it better; leave "those people" behind...

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Little Pickle and 1 other like this

#36 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

IM did a great job providing information on the contractual information for the consultant GCS hired for this effort. I found out a little more. Mr. Klink is from West Lafayette. From my information, he was the consultant for for the referendum i Brownsburg that also failed this week. Furthermore, and for all of you who support school choice, he produced a documentary in West Lafayette that is anti-school choice, and anti-education reform. His documentary seems to say that measures such as those are anti-public education.

Along those lines, I was puzzled by the comments made by NAFC central office adminsitrators who characterized the defeat of the refendum as being the We will obviously reduce the contract so that you realize budgetary savings and avoid duplicitous expenditures. result of the community being anti-public education. As usual, I will not support nor condemn this effort. I do hope though that in the spirit of avoiding the devisiveness that rsulted in NAFC, GCS avoids "anti-public education" rhetoric against opponents of the refendum. This is especially critical given the leaning of the consultant they hired.

#37 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

This will be fought. Anyone interested in fighting, get with IM or me. If anyone has already taken steps to organize, please, please let us know so there is no duplication of efforts. The school corporation spent a long time plotting, we have a short time to render their plotting pointless.

My biggest wish is the school board fails to pass the resolution and allows our community to skip this fight. The referendum will be defeated if placed on the ballot, but there's going to be a lot of conflict before that happens.

School board members: skip it. Please.
  • GrumpyGranny, karen, CaptainPicard and 2 others like this

#38 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

If you all have any meetings to help get organized with the efforts to fight this please let the chatter community know.  We really need to all band together and get these greedy folks out of our community!  There has to be a much better way for our children.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#39 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Folks, I began this thread using posts from the thread Will The Failure of the NAFC Referendum Impact GCS Efforts. These posts seem to address the referendum itself and the closure of the schools rather than a comparison of the NAFC/GCCS referendums.

#40 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

If you all have any meetings to help get organized with the efforts to fight this please let the chatter community know.  We really need to all band together and get these greedy folks out of our community!  There has to be a much better way for our children.

As Kelley said -- anyone interested in helping to organize the effort to oppose this, please send a PM to either Kelley or myself for the time and place of our meeting.   Thank you.

• Little Pickle and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users