692 replies to this topic

#1 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

Melin wants $119 million from the taxpayers!!!!   Close Maple, TJ and Spring Hill and repurpose Bridgepoint.  Close Pleasant Ridge.  Renovate Parkview and make it an elementary school. to accommodate 650 to 750 students.  Renovate Wilson and expand it. 

Move Maple kids to Parkview; move SH kids to Northaven; TJ kids to Wilson; make Bridgepoint an alternative school (I think their kids would go to Parkview too but not sure); 

River Valley and Charlestown MS renovated and remove the "open concept" (although it is highly successful in many school districts).   Renovate and expand Northaven - remove open concept.   Build new elementary in Charlestown on 403 

-- new elementary in Jeff (not sure where).  I was watching the "livestream" and it kept locking up and skipping -- hopefully this will be posted in full on the school website tomorrow.

Also need some major work done at Jeff High - he said 200,000 sq ft not renovated during the last renovation project.

Will try to get more details but these are the main points.   (Except a school board member needs to learn not to use a double negative!   Terrible)

• karen and Donna like this

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

He needs to get over the idea of closing neighborhood schools! I'll admit it's been a few (or more) years but my youngest son and grandkids went to Maple; the grandkids also went to Spring Hill. I loved both schools, and they were great with the kids. Also, why on earth hurt those neighborhoods by closing their schools? If they need some fixing up...fix 'em up. If they need some renovations, renovate them. Don't close them!

Someone should tell this man he is not King and Jeff High is not his castle...it's just one of his "holdings" and he needs to keep the three high schools equally maintained, equipped and staffed. 

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, karen and 1 other like this

#3 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

Wow. This is a huge project that will change the education landscape of Jeff forever.  The first few years of schooling are crucial for kids.  There is no way that a school of 650-750 k-5 students in a building the size of Parkview is a good idea.  You can tell that Melin is an outsider.  Jeff residents are loyal to the schools they attended as children and do not want to see them closed.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 1 other like this

#4 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Melin wants $119 million from the taxpayers!!!! Close Maple, TJ and Spring Hill and repurpose Bridgepoint. Close Pleasant Ridge. Renovate Parkview and make it an elementary school. to accommodate 650 to 750 students. Renovate Wilson and expand it.
Move Maple kids to Parkview; move SH kids to Northaven; TJ kids to Wilson; make Bridgepoint an alternative school (I think their kids would go to Parkview too but not sure);
River Valley and Charlestown MS renovated and remove the "open concept" (although it is highly successful in many school districts). Renovate and expand Northaven - remove open concept. Build new elementary in Charlestown on 403
-- new elementary in Jeff (not sure where). I was watching the "livestream" and it kept locking up and skipping -- hopefully this will be posted in full on the school website tomorrow.
Also need some major work done at Jeff High - he said 200,000 sq ft not renovated during the last renovation project.

Will try to get more details but these are the main points. (Except a school board member needs to learn not to use a double negative! Terrible)

Damnit. Worse than we thought. TJ too?

#5 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

Article now posted on the News & Tribune website .  http://www.newsandtr...085414c245.html

#6 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

I've always wondered about the open concept at CMS and River Valley.  First, I don't know how that isn't distracting.  When my kids were in middle school, they always talked about how you could hear everything going on in the classes on either side.  Secondly, I wonder about security.  There is no place to go.  Everything is wide open.  I know it's not likely, but if there were a school shooter, or something like that, you can't barricade yourself in the room.  I don't have kids in school anymore, but I do think that needs to be addressed. 

• Donna likes this

#7 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

this is a bit much... too much money and too much change all at once.  i don't see the referendum passing.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 1 other like this

#8 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

I just contacted my school board rep. Everyone concerned needs to do the same.

I'm hoping they squash this so the rest of us don't have to spend between now and November campaigning against this.

Anyone want to get a PAC formed muy pronto? There have been criticisms that the Floyd County opposition didn't but legally maybe should have.
  • IntegrityMatters and snowman like this

#9 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

I know this man from having lived up in the Peru area when he was working there.  His #1 goal is to continue to make as much money as he can.  He feels that if he can grow the district it will help increase his pay and also lead to bigger opportunities.  He'd like to run the biggest school system in the state and eventually take Tony Bennetts old job.  Melin ONLY wants this to happen to increase his profile.  The only way we can stop this is by voting against it and then voting out the school board that supports him.  He's already been told "No" by the mayor about accessing TIF money.  

• Donna likes this

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

I've literally watched friendships end on Facebook over the Floyd County referendum. There have been claims one side used taxpayer resources to support the referendum and that the other side used tactics that were hateful or illegal in opposing it.

Opponents who had what they felt were unanswered questions and a lack of faith in the school board are being shouted down that they don't care about kids...

It's ugly. I hate that we're likely going to have to go through the same exercise.

One strategic point: someone complained school resources were used by the referendum supporters. The response was that is allowed if the opposition is allowed equal access. No one asked in Floyd, probably because they didn't know.

If a PTA group or others supporting it have a booth at a school event, the opposition needs to request one too.

Of course, the opposition can't spend big tax dollars buying a study and communications person...

Opposition needs to get organized immediately. Who wants to lead it? I volunteer for the committee that throws big public hissies about the impact on poor families.

Edited by kelley, 07 May 2015 - 09:27 AM.

• Donna likes this

#11 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

Nobody likes to pay more in taxes but the schools are in terrible conditions. This would be for the kids. We are not voting on paying the administration more money. This is the exact reason why attendance is down in Clark County and parents are sending their children to other school corporations. I would for once just like to see people think with an open mind and don`t shoot down an idea just because you don't like the superintendent I think that's just silly.

#12 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

Neighborhood schools are not the reason people are sending their kids elsewhere. Are there stats somewhere showing how many students from which schools are exercising their school choice? I know of one family with students in Maple's area going to Silver Creek. However, these are not elementary students, and the move wasn't because of the condition of the schools but because of concerns about kids' safety due to do specific behavior of officials.

My concerns have nothing to do with the superintendent. I had no opinion of him one way or the other until his rather recent newspaper interview and his very telling comments about "those people down there."

Parkview is the only building I've known parents or students to complain about.

Edited by kelley, 07 May 2015 - 09:33 AM.

• IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#13 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

I`m not responding to any one individual. I just want people to really think about this. If people would take the time to walk thru the schools their is no doubt they will see the need for work to be done. Nobody in their right mind would want their child to go to a beat up, stinky, dirty, smelly run down school and yes all the children I mean all the children deserve better. Thanks for the dialogue on this topic, I just think this is really a good opportunity for not just one school and a selective group of people but all of Clark County.

#14 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

2q0q64n.jpg

#15 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

Rock Creek is at capacity -- primarily with Greater Clark students -- and it is NOT because of the buildings.  Silver Creek is also overflowing with students from Greater Clark -- also NOT because of the buildings.  A fancy, new building will not attract more students.   Raising taxes out the roof will drive more people away from Jeffersonville -- once all these jobs Melin talks about materialize (if they do), people will opt to live on the Kentucky side of the new bridge or in Sellersburg. 

Enrollment in Greater Clark has been stagnant for years even with growth in the community.  Ask yourself why.  It is definitely NOT the buildings.   A referendum for $119 million has a snowball's chance in .... passing.    

(Kelley- hope you can list a lot of properties in Sellerburg because many people will be looking to move if this passes!)

• kelley and Donna like this

#16 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

I know for a fact a bunch of parents have decided to go elsewhere because of the conditions. Believe that or not that is 100% true. It will not pass because of the mentality of the people in Clark County I understand that just disappointed. Hey little Johnny I know your school stinks and is dirty and your rivals school is nice and pretty but you settle for this that's right learn to settle for less as we in Clark County don't deserve better.

• River City Kid likes this

#17 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Nobody likes to pay more in taxes but the schools are in terrible conditions. This would be for the kids. We are not voting on paying the administration more money. This is the exact reason why attendance is down in Clark County and parents are sending their children to other school corporations. I would for once just like to see people think with an open mind and don`t shoot down an idea just because you don't like the superintendent I think that's just silly.

that's not the reason!

there are many other ways to accomplish a good education besides building new buildings and destroying neighborhoods!

• Donna likes this

#18 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

I understand that's not the only reason but is one of them. I understand it will not pass so people can keep their money and at the moment their taxes will not be raised. Just watch and see when the bridge is finished and people locate over here where their children go to school. Feel bad for the students and families who deserve better that's all.

#19 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Let's really 'keep it real' --- the current schools do not "stink" nor are they "dirty".   The "rivals" schools as you say are not all "nice and pretty".   Have you been to Rock Creek or Silver Creek or Sacred Heart?   They are not fancy or new.    Christian Academy is relatively new but honestly I don't think people choose to go there and pay tuition because the school building is fancy and new.  I have a granddaughter who attends a private school in Louisville and it is much older than 50 years but is kept in very nice condition and portions were recently updated.   The buildings we have can be updated as well. 

Someday when new schools are built I hope that contractors will cease building "throw away buildings" --- schools need to last much longer than 50 years.  This is ridiculous.

• GrumpyGranny, Donna and toomanytoofew like this

#20 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

I`m sorry but if you walk thru them you cannot tell me they are not disgusting. I`m not here to argue with anyone things do not get accomplished that way. I`m telling you what I have seen with my own eyes and hear from my friends who have students in the schools. Let me ask a question what dollar amount do you see that would be a fair price for a referendum. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users