13 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

I already know the answer, but I still have a question. Why did our activist judge even bother wasting the time of the council, and the people, by asking for their approval if he was going to ram it down our throats anyway?
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#2 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Has anyone talked to the judge about this, or is everyone just listening to the 2nd amendment pushers? There was some common sense in his original request, until it was turned into a circus event. He gave the council an opportunity to approach it properly, but it's an election year. It has been discussed in the past, with positive feedback. Poor timing was the true problem. I'm sure once the Judge found the money in his own budget, and did all the research on security in government buildings it changed the dynamic. Let's stop making a mountain out of a mole hill and move forward. Enough is enough.
  • fitz likes this

#3 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

The mountain I see is an elected official ignoring the voice of the people. The Town Council, the voice of the people, was willing to secure his courtroom. He basically said, "I don't care what you people say. I'm doing what I want anyway." He knew he was going to do this all along. Gamesmanship pure and simple.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#4 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like Guilfoyle has a long, bright future as a politician ahead of him. So young, yet already flexing his authority on his "subjects". Yep, this guy's gonna go places in the political world! Just what Clarksville needed.

#5 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

Sounds like Guilfoyle has a long, bright future as a politician ahead of him. So young, yet already flexing his authority on his "subjects". Yep, this guy's gonna go places in the political world! Just what Clarksville needed.

http://newsandtribun...5548c094_259460

We can only hope that next year his resume reads "Former unelected judge of Clarksville town court". 

Has anyone seen the court order issued by the judge that bans weapons from the entire building?  Guess I'll have to go to the town hall today and pick up a copy...I wonder if I'll have to leave my weapon in the car?

Edited by TomD, 05 May 2015 - 05:43 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Russell Brooksbank like this

#6 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

I already know the answer, but I still have a question. Why did our activist judge even bother wasting the time of the council, and the people, by asking for their approval if he was going to ram it down our throats anyway?

popp said it best during council comments at the 4/20 meeting...it's political, just as it always is with popp and company.

Edited by TomD, 05 May 2015 - 05:56 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Russell Brooksbank like this

#7 fitz

fitz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Good for the Judge, common sense and we do not need guns in a public building.

#8 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Why not?

#9 fitz

fitz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

It would appear that certain members of the community think they have the right to carry a weapon anywhere they want at any time.

I applaud the Judge for making it clear very clear that it is not your God given right to carrry a fire arm any where you wish.

I have seen people on this site state it's their God given right, it in the Dec. of Ind. etc, but those do not carry any weight in our laws.

I know of no reason why anyone wants to carry a weapon in public. I worry for more about the mental state of a person who thinks they need to carry a wepon in public that is supposed to make me feel safe.

#10 Thomas Keister

Thomas Keister

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

Fitz, those certain members of the community may feel like they need to carry a weapon when and wherever they wish for whatever reason they decide to. Under Indiana state law, with proper permit, an individual is allowed to openly carry a handgun. 

Not God, not Judge Guilfoyle, but the Indiana General Assembly grants that right to the people of Indiana. People like Judge Guilfoyle, who carries a handgun on him, if I am not mistaken. 

#11 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

I know of no reason why anyone wants to carry a weapon in public. I worry for more about the mental state of a person who thinks they need to carry a wepon in public that is supposed to make me feel safe.

I have a perfectly good reason (as if I need one) I am in charge of providing security for a very important family.........MINE.

• Oldgoat likes this

#12 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

I'm not clear on how your lack of imagination has anything to do with anyone else's desire for self-protection but there are many, many specific examples people on this forum could give on why they may wish to carry a gun. 

As a woman, I'll just share one: rape prevention. It's a fact of life that in general women are not as strong as men so one reason some people may want to carry a gun is because guns can be a great equalizer. 

Would you really want to deny the ability for anyone, male or female, to protect themselves against others who may be able to gain the upper hand simply because they have the advantage of larger size?

• Oldgoat and littletommy like this

#13 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Thomas, government doesn't grant rights. It grants the privilege to exercise your right without government interference.
  • littletommy likes this

#14 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

Fitz, how many guns are carried publicly every day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users