2 replies to this topic

#1 porkypine

porkypine

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

I drive one of those BIG TRUCKS for a living.  Have been driving since 1968, and driving the 18 wheelers since 1981.  Over 5,000,000 miles with NO accidents. (Now that I have said something.........)  I am employed for a large trucking company at their local terminal.  Out every night and home every day.  Very happy with the job, paycheck and HOMETIME.

Going South on I-65 at about 04:30 AM the other morning, around Bowling Green KY.  NO street/highway lights, a little ground fog, but nothing to worry about.  Speed limit on this section of I-65 was 70mph, I was doing about 65 mph.  Was warned, over the CB radio, that there was a car on the side of the road ahead.  So I was watching for the car, and THANK GOD, I had been warned!  When I get up to the car, it is on the side of the Interstate, with the Driver's side tires ON THE WHITE LANE END LINE and here are three people, changing a tire (driver's side rear),  standing in the driving lane!  And not one of them was facing/watching oncoming traffic.  If I had not been warned of them standing on the side of the road,and was not able to pull to the left into the middle lane, I would have hit all three of them and most likely killed all three people.  The tractor trailer I am driving now weighs close to 80,000 LBS. every night and with that much weight, you don't make any sudden swerves or moves.  You will loose control and usually turn over, if you do it too quickly.

PLEASE PEOPLE:  If have to pull over to the side of any road, especially an Interstate, get as far to the right as possible.  Get EVERYBODY out of the vehicle, and have them stand over the guard rail away from the road.  If you are going to change a tire, check under the hood, or anything else, NEVER STAND WITH YOUR BACK TO ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!!  Always watch trafficcoming towards you or have somebody stand an keep watch.  This is all they do JUST WATCH TRAFFIC.   This way if somebody isn't paying attention to their driving (and about half the people on the road today ARE NOT), the watcher can yell out and hopefully give the people,working on the vehicle , a chance to jump out of the way.

AGAIN:  Pay more attention to your driving, put the D*** cellphone down and DRIVE MORE SAFELY.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Donna and 4 others like this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

Amen, Porkypine, Amen! 

#3 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

I've driven concrete trucks since '97. I hear ya porkypine. We weigh close to the 80,000 mark too when fully loaded. People just do not realize how long it takes to stop a big truck and how difficult it is to maneuver suddenly and not make things worse. Thank God for the radio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users