• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:12 AM

Once upon a time there was a small amusement park in Louisville called Kiddieland. It was on 7th Street, near Berry Blvd. I don't know when it opened or closed, but I remember going there maybe late '50s or early 60's. Unfortunately, I can't remember too much about it. It had a kiddie roller coaster,a train and go karts, and they'd give us free entry or free rides if we took our report card with A's  on it. Does anyone remember Kiddieland?

• grammy likes this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

I have slight memories of Fountain Ferry, too little to ride what bigger sibs were all about!  Don't remember hearing about Kiddieland.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#3 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

Went to Kiddieland all the time. It was across the street from Arlans dept store, where the flea market is now. Loved the tunnel on the train. Happy memories

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:40 AM

Went to Kiddieland all the time. It was across the street from Arlans dept store, where the flea market is now. Loved the tunnel on the train. Happy memories

Grammy, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to remember it! I spent my first 13 years out in that area. I remember Arlans well; my grandpa was a part time night watchman there for years. Across the parking lot from Arlans was a little garage, owned by the Greenwell family. It was like a 3 in 1 place; body shop on the end closest to Arlans, mechanic shop in the middle and used car sales on the other end. My uncle did the body work way back then and the first car I ever bought came from the used car end. 

I moved back into the area about 1978-79. Kiddieland was gone, except for that tunnel and the go cart track. They were pretty overgrown, but still there, evidence that Kiddieland was still there and not a figment of my imagination.

Ahhh, the old days!

• grammy likes this

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

I have slight memories of Fountain Ferry, too little to ride what bigger sibs were all about!  Don't remember hearing about Kiddieland.

Yep, went to Fountain Ferry a few times, too. I can't remember a lot about it, except the only time I was on a real, live pony was there. I almost fell off... And they had that big wooden roller coaster by the river, and I wouldn't get on it! I can't remember specifically, but I assume they had a Tilt-A-Whirl, that ride was my lifelong favorite ride!

Kiddieland had a kid sized coaster and I did ride it!

• Donna and grammy like this

#6 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

I remember Fountain Ferry well also. They also would honor report cards at the end of school year as admission .I remember my Dad and I riding the wooden roller coaster that would span out to the Ohio river. It would creek and rock so bad but Oh so much fun!! My favorite was the funhouse and the illusionial mirrors. But I also remember the ugly side that only whites were allowed. As a child I didn't understand. I lived in Shively and went to St. Basil elementary if you remember that school Donna.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users