25 replies to this topic

#21 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, but sometimes sadly, being first to report something doesn't provide any context or background on an event.  I think our society has become obsessed with the fifteen second news clip. 

That's a valid point. I should have clarified that often, we'll try to get a couple of paragraphs out about something that just happened and then continue to add to that coverage, culminating in a full story in the next day's paper and on the web.

Best, Shea.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#22 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

News Coverage Process
....."we'll try to get a couple of paragraphs out about something that just happened
and then continue to add to that coverage, culminating in a full story
in the next day's paper and on the web".....

Mr. Vanhoy, that is excellent.  Thank you for  providing  that analysis  to the readers.
Many people do not comprehend a newspaper's process of delivering the news.
Some are critical of not providing to them "instantaneous gratification"
with immediate detailed information in reference to a selected story.
Some   demand  it  right  away   when all of the reporting
and background research has not been completed.
Some persons strangely criticize the thorough
news gathering activity by a  paper,

while others would like a complete,

accurate compilation.

The process

that you describe

of getting an early release

of the initial information concerning
a story placed online  followed by the complete,

well researched, and thoroughly referenced story via the work

of the journalist is very good. It is classic and we appreciate your professionalism.

Edited by Savile Row, 05 May 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#23 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

We usually read about stories on chatter before they come out in the NT sometimes up to a week before and most of the time there are people on here that have the contacts to get both sides of a story once it has been posted on here I believe the NT reporters don't have those contacts to report both sides of a story so often what they report is old news in my opinion.

• kelley and Donna like this

#24 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

We usually read about stories on chatter before they come out in the NT sometimes up to a week before and most of the time there are people on here that have the contacts to get both sides of a story once it has been posted on here I believe the NT reporters don't have those contacts to report both sides of a story so often what they report is old news in my opinion.

There sometimes are items of news interest posted on this site before they are in the paper, but rarely is any reporting done on said items. And example would be someone on here saying they heard shots fired; another person may say they heard someone was shot. Someone may have been shot.

We have to verify that information before reporting it in any format. Then we'll follow up by getting to a police report, talking to officers, talking to the prosector and defense attorney if needed, perhaps talking to family of the victim, covering hearings, covering a trial.

I'm not saying people shouldn't come on this site and share information. You're just simplfying what we do every day.

Or, you can take tonight. Seven reporters and three photographers covering election night in Clark and Floyd counties, plus two designers and two editors in the office designing pages and working on social media. I don't think you'll find better coverage of tonight's election or any election involving our two counties anywhere.

Best, Shea.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#25 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

The

design

of the nifty

CCC posts by  

the journalism person

utilizing the nom de plume

'Savile Row' is very educational.

Shea Van Hoy is very nice to explain the

extensive,  responsible,  and professional process

that the News and Tribune utilizes to inform the plebes

of the news in a thorough,  informative,  entertaining manner.

:popcorn:

Edited by Savile Row, 05 May 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#26 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

rhouchens - It's only old news to those on Chatter.

Not everyone is on Chatter (EEK!)

N&T does a fine job of verifying social media, sources, tips . . . and reporting. 

• Tina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users