25 replies to this topic

#1 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

First I want to thank the News/Tribune for the hard work in putting the voter guide together. There are 64 pages of info about the people running for office. Everyone answered the same questions pertaining to the city/town position they are seeking. Please take time to read the reply and compare all the replies before voting. This may be the only source of information available in choosing the primary candidate. Please make informed choices on Tuesday.

Call me a nerd if you like, but I took the time to read all the responses from the candidates for Jeffersonville offices. Some offer fresh new ideas,both good and bad. I paid close attention to the question and responses about the EPA mandate and the last question asking about how TIF dollars should be used. The answers to these questions tell me the candidates that truly understand the position they are seeking.

Bill Meiners, candidate for mayor, offers a fix to the CSO problems that has not been discussed much among city officials. The few times it was discussed it was shot down as a bad idea by JTL. With Meiners also being an engineer.....maybe this should be looked at again.

And some candidates just can't tell the truth. Moore states and I quote, We must continue our commitment to streamlining government and cut wasteful spending end quote. I question what part of Jeffersonvilles government has been streamlined? My guess is there are a lot more city employees now than when he took office. And wasteful spending is still uncontrolled. His statement sounds good but is far from the truth.

And I had a good laugh reading his answer on TIF funds. He seems to understand TIF should be used to attract new development but spends the funds on parks, boat docks, and maintenance contracts,etc. Moore goes on to brag about how strong the TIF balances are but doesn't mention that millions were bonded by redevelopment and deposited in TIF funds to make them appear healthy. Perhaps Julius said it best.....TIF dollars should create more TIF dollars....meaning they should be used to attract economic development and bring new businesses to Jeffersonville. Only when TIF dollars are being used for economic development and increased assessments are the TIF funds being used as designed.
  • sheavanhoy likes this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

I'd like to see more of the specifics on Meiner's proposal. Sounded pretty good on paper.

I appreciated his frankness (admitted he might not make a very good politician; I can empathize). The odds of him winning are slim to none, but his points are intriguing. If the administration hasn't taken a serious look at the sewer separation option, they should.
  • sheavanhoy likes this

#3 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

I thought the News tribune was not to be trusted when it came to politics?

Have you changed your mind?

• kelley and sheavanhoy like this

#4 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

I thought the News tribune was not to be trusted when it came to politics?
Have you changed your mind?

As a general rule that is true. Their political stories are biased and slanted. However the voter guide they published was the result of the candidates themselves answering a set of questions. I trust the candidates replies were not edited.

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

I, too, would like to thank the N&T for their Voter's Guide.  The questions were consistent between the candidates. 

• sheavanhoy likes this

#6 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words on the Voters Guide. It is a ton of work. I'm glad that this cycle, we found a reliable survey host that allowed us to specify questions for candidates of different races. I've gotten a lot of good feedback about that and we'll do the same for the November election.

Mr. Hutt, have you every considered the possibility that it's your perspective that may make the stories appear slanted? There are a couple of certainties for us — there will always be politicans and there will always be stories to write about them. It doesn't make much difference to me who is in office. The job remains the same. And, at any given time, there's a decent chance both sides of an issue are unhappy with coverage. Could that sometimes come from the perspective they hold?

Would you like to provide some specific examples of slanted or biased reporting? That's a pretty weighty and general accusation without offering some evidence.

Best, Shea.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Quasar and 7 others like this

#7 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

:blink: :wacko: :rofl:

Maybe, the problem is that thar dern subliminal "glitzy" thingy that causes criticism of the great N-T.....

Edited by Savile Row, 01 May 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#8 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

:blink: :wacko: :rofl:

Maybe, the problem is that thar dern subliminal "glitzy" thingy that causes criticism of the great N-T.....

I'm not sure what that means, but I like the creativity.

• ChopperWoman likes this

#9 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

Mr. Hutt, have you every considered the possibility that it's your perspective that may make the stories appear slanted?

Or, as I should have typed, 'ever.'

• kelley likes this

#10 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

Shea, I noticed that some of the boxes were very small for answers on a few of the questions. So I kept mine short, only being able to see one sentence. Maybe that can be corrected before the general election. Thanks for your hard work! Kvissing

#11 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

First I want to thank the News/Tribune for the hard work in putting the voter guide together. There are 64 pages of info about the people running for office. Everyone answered the same questions pertaining to the city/town position they are seeking. Please take time to read the reply and compare all the replies before voting. This may be the only source of information available in choosing the primary candidate. Please make informed choices on Tuesday.

Call me a nerd if you like, but I took the time to read all the responses from the candidates for Jeffersonville offices. Some offer fresh new ideas,both good and bad. I paid close attention to the question and responses about the EPA mandate and the last question asking about how TIF dollars should be used. The answers to these questions tell me the candidates that truly understand the position they are seeking.

Bill Meiners, candidate for mayor, offers a fix to the CSO problems that has not been discussed much among city officials. The few times it was discussed it was shot down as a bad idea by JTL. With Meiners also being an engineer.....maybe this should be looked at again.

And some candidates just can't tell the truth. Moore states and I quote, We must continue our commitment to streamlining government and cut wasteful spending end quote. I question what part of Jeffersonvilles government has been streamlined? My guess is there are a lot more city employees now than when he took office. And wasteful spending is still uncontrolled. His statement sounds good but is far from the truth.

And I had a good laugh reading his answer on TIF funds. He seems to understand TIF should be used to attract new development but spends the funds on parks, boat docks, and maintenance contracts,etc. Moore goes on to brag about how strong the TIF balances are but doesn't mention that millions were bonded by redevelopment and deposited in TIF funds to make them appear healthy. Perhaps Julius said it best.....TIF dollars should create more TIF dollars....meaning they should be used to attract economic development and bring new businesses to Jeffersonville. Only when TIF dollars are being used for economic development and increased assessments are the TIF funds being used as designed.

what day was that in the paper?

#12 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

Thursday, and I'm sure you can get it online or at N&T on Spring Street!  Good read, for those who want to know.

#13 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

This is what it looks like.

Attached Files

#14 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

I'd like to see more of the specifics on Meiner's proposal. Sounded pretty good on paper.
I appreciated his frankness (admitted he might not make a very good politician; I can empathize). The odds of him winning are slim to none, but his points are intriguing. If the administration hasn't taken a serious look at the sewer separation option, they should.

When campaigning 4 years ago moore said he was not going to use JTL. Something must have changed. Moore will never give this a serious look. The only way to find a less expensive option is to vote for Meiners. If you want to save.....vote for Bill.

#15 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

Mr. Van Hoy,

It is easy to take exception to what was said, but I would pose a question back to you that I believe will both answer the allegation and provide some proof, yet justification from the newspaper's perspective.

From my research, many people say that the newspaper business is getting tougher and tougher. When asked why, they generally respond that the 21st century news consumer is relying more and more on the blogosphere, social media and the like. We all know that many if not most reports from those outlets are riddled with editorializing, rumor, and have no standard of fact-checking. Given that, and the fact that people in general love sensational stories, I would love for you and any other person who is in leadership positions with print media (namely newspapers) to respond to this question. What impact has social and digital media had on reporting? Do you as a publisher now spend more time than you used to making sure that stories get "clicks" on the internet, thus maybe forcing writing styles of news reporting to shift from old-fashioned "facts" (and letting editorials do the editorializing) to styles that compete with social media and the blogosphere? 

Just a thought?

#16 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

The 24 hour news stations kill newspapers. Why pay for the news in print that you heard dissected a million ways last night? they also editorialize & force their opinions into the discussion.

It's what people WANT these days. They are not taught HOW to think but WHAT to think. Schools aren't working on changing that either. People who question are threatening to the status quo.

This is why hyper-local is so much more relevant. CNN & Fox dont report on Jeffersonville.

Edited by Tina, 03 May 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• Donna likes this

#17 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

Shea, I noticed that some of the boxes were very small for answers on a few of the questions. So I kept mine short, only being able to see one sentence. Maybe that can be corrected before the general election. Thanks for your hard work! Kvissing

Hi Kevin,

We are going to look into that for the general election. It's also why I suggested, in my column announcing that the survey was live, typing answers in a word document and then copying that into the boxes. That way, the answers can be spell-checked and proofed.

Thanks, Shea.

#18 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Mr. Van Hoy,

It is easy to take exception to what was said, but I would pose a question back to you that I believe will both answer the allegation and provide some proof, yet justification from the newspaper's perspective.

From my research, many people say that the newspaper business is getting tougher and tougher. When asked why, they generally respond that the 21st century news consumer is relying more and more on the blogosphere, social media and the like. We all know that many if not most reports from those outlets are riddled with editorializing, rumor, and have no standard of fact-checking. Given that, and the fact that people in general love sensational stories, I would love for you and any other person who is in leadership positions with print media (namely newspapers) to respond to this question. What impact has social and digital media had on reporting? Do you as a publisher now spend more time than you used to making sure that stories get "clicks" on the internet, thus maybe forcing writing styles of news reporting to shift from old-fashioned "facts" (and letting editorials do the editorializing) to styles that compete with social media and the blogosphere? 

Just a thought?

You're right, the newspaper business gets tougher every year. There are more and more outlets for people to get information or to spend their advertising dollar.

As the newspaper's editor, I do spend more time on our website and social media than I did five years ago, three years ago or last year. It's just how things are evolving. The focus is more on frequent updates and getting information to consumers as quickly as we can, but there hasnt' been a concerted effort at our paper to write or report differently. We just want to dominate the local market and get that information to people as quickly as we can through many means. That's why I'll often Tweet news [@newsandtribune] before we even have a story on our website. Reporters are also asked to tweet from events, shoot video and photos - something they did not have to do a few years ago.

So, I would say urgency is more essential here. We have the same standards with out web content and news tweets as we do with our printed product.

Best, Shea.

#19 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, but sometimes sadly, being first to report something doesn't provide any context or background on an event.  I think our society has become obsessed with the fifteen second news clip. 

• Tina and Donna like this

#20 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

NERD!

• Not Super But Honest Mike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users