29 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Well, Jeff needed a new coach, so anything goes.  Create positions, invent things, anything for Jeff.  New Wash needs a coach, let's cut 3 teaching positions, yes, that's right 3.  Once again Melin screws a smaller school, ie, Charlestown and New Wash.   I hope this guy leaves Melin at the altar.  Melin is a fool.

Fron Greater Clark's Facebook Page:

Dr. Andrew Melin, Superintendent of Greater Clark County Schools, will make the recommendation to the Board of School Trustees at their meeting on Wednesday, May 6 to approve Joe Luce, USA Today’s 2015 Indiana High School Coach of the Year, as the new Jeffersonville High School varsity boys’ basketball coach.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Joe, his wife, Amy, and their four children to Jeffersonville and into the Red Devil family,” said Jeffersonville High School Athletic Director Todd Satterly. “He has a tremendous record as a basketball coach and will be an outstanding leader for our program, and mentor to our student athletes.”

A native of Muncie, Indiana, Luce has served as the varsity boys’ basketball coach at Richmond High School since 2009. During his time at Richmond High School, Luce compiled an overall record of 117-33, two 4A sectional champions and one regional title. He has been named the North Central Conference Coach of the Year for two consecutive years.

Prior to leading Richmond High School, Luce led the 2008 Marion High School varsity boys’ basketball team to the IHSAA 4A State Championship game. The 2007 team competed at the Final Four and 2009 team in the Elite Eight.

“An impressive group of candidates were vetted and Joe Luce clearly rose to the top for his numerous coaching accomplishments,” stated Satterly. “Luce will have a long-lasting and positive impact on the Red Devils basketball program and the Jeffersonville community.”

Edited by CaptainPicard, 30 April 2015 - 10:34 AM.

• Tina likes this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Honestly, New Washington parents should get a petition going to extract themselves from GCCS.  Personally, I think it makes sense Charlestown and New Wash to become East Clark Community schools.  Let Clarksville merge with GCCS and the suburb-metro areas be GCCS.  We'd still have 3 districts: West Clark, East Clark and Greater Clark.   Snow days would be easier to handle as well when you don't have so much variance among the areas.

And no, it does NOT make sense to merge them into one.

• ctownmom, Donna, JeffResident and 1 other like this

#3 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

I agree Tina --- New Washington and Charlestown should pull out of Greater Clark.   I do not think that Clarksville and Greater Clark should merge but I do  think that Parkwood Elementary should become part of Clarksville schools --- after all, it is located IN Clarksville.  

Greater Clark could save a lot of money by having less administrative staff.   Also, the snow days would be much easier!

But the powers that be don't think logically -- or what is really best for the kids or the community --- it is all about dollars.  Sad.

I wonder how much they are going to pay the new basketball coach -- and how many "perks" he will be given.  

• GrumpyGranny, Avid Reader, Donna and 1 other like this

#4 Bulldog0605

Bulldog0605

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ohhhh heck no, Leave Clarksville alone... As a parent I want to stay as far away from Greater Clark as possible...

• GrumpyGranny, Avid Reader, Tina and 1 other like this

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

Tina, do you hate Clarksville? You must...why else would you want our schools to merge with Greater Clark?  Yeah, New Wash and Charlestown should pull out of GCCS but that sure doesn't mean Clarksville or any other school system should be forced to merge with them. Maybe GCCS should become Jeffersonville Community Schools... and leave the rest of the communities' schools alone!

• IntegrityMatters, Avid Reader, Tina and 1 other like this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

I just know there are people that have suggested merging all 3 to "save" money. you know their reasoning: that consolidation saves (not!).
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

Those people that have suggested merging all 3 to "save" money, would they be people at the GCCS Admin or people who do not have children in school?  

I agree with Tina on the snow days, travel advisories.  A too large geographical area means that ALL district schools close when only certain areas are hazardous. 

I don't expect GCCS to relinquish Parkwood, they get dollars for those kids.  And, that is what GCCS is all about.  There's still a friend, family member, or significant other that could be added to the payroll, they NEED those dollars to provide for them and theirs. 

I wish Clarksville could wrest Parkwood away from GCCS, and New Wash & Charlestown students & families would be better served apart from GCCS.    

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#8 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Well, Jeff needed a new coach, so anything goes.  Create positions, invent things, anything for Jeff.  New Wash needs a coach, let's cut 3 teaching positions, yes, that's right 3.  Once again Melin screws a smaller school, ie, Charlestown and New Wash.   I hope this guy leaves Melin at the altar.  Melin is a fool.

How can a school as small as New Washington lose three teaching positions? Are there enough teachers to cover all of the certified areas? I know that I was a New Washington resident, I would be questioning the powers that be, or I would be looking for a new school. Actions speak louder than words Melin said a mouthful. The lowest rated school in the corporation gets all the perks: new coach, new radio station, four administrators plus deans to do discipline. 

• CaptainPicard and Donna like this

#9 Newbomb

Newbomb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Which three positions are going to be cut? And what position is being created for Luce?

#10 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

Luce holding GCCS hostage.

#11 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

I did research on the laws regarding one area of a school corporation "seceding" from the rest of the school corporation. It is not done simply by saying, "we are leaving this school corporation and either joining another or starting our own." There are many steps in the process, and one of those is that the school board must vote that the secession is actually best for all parties, including the school corporation. They also have to have the change approved by the State Board of Education and have a plan approved by the Department of Local Government and Finance that splits assets and tax liabilities.

If solely for financial purposes, one would doubt GCS would ever allow a portion of the pupil count leave their school corporation and give up tax bases and facilities. 

#12 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

I did research on the laws regarding one area of a school corporation "seceding" from the rest of the school corporation. It is not done simply by saying, "we are leaving this school corporation and either joining another or starting our own." There are many steps in the process, and one of those is that the school board must vote that the secession is actually best for all parties, including the school corporation. They also have to have the change approved by the State Board of Education and have a plan approved by the Department of Local Government and Finance that splits assets and tax liabilities.

If solely for financial purposes, one would doubt GCS would ever allow a portion of the pupil count leave their school corporation and give up tax bases and facilities. 

You are correct.........because it's all about the kids. :no:

• IntegrityMatters, Tina and Donna like this

#13 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

Aren't monopolies grand?

Do you realize that what you've said is, even if NINETY percent or more of the families wanted to secede from GCCS, the school board could hold them hostage.

Nice.

Edited by Tina, 01 May 2015 - 08:11 PM.

• Donna likes this

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:27 AM

GCCS does hold THEIR schools hostage and protects THEIR TURF from any interlopers (charters) wishing to establish a new choice for students/parents.  GCCS also hates that the rules were changed allowing students to move to other school systems and those tax dollars follow the student.   Of course, it IS all about the children.

#15 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

It is important to remember that it is not only administrations and school boards who oppose these things. It does not take long to look on the teacher unions' websites, blogs, Facebook pages, etc., to see that they are also in opposition to all forms of school choice outside the traditional systems.

#16 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

And, yet, the traditional system leaves so many kids behind.  Pardon me if I look for viable options, for the children (and parents.)

• IntegrityMatters and karen like this

#17 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

It is important to remember that it is not only administrations and school boards who oppose these things. It does not take long to look on the teacher unions' websites, blogs, Facebook pages, etc., to see that they are also in opposition to all forms of school choice outside the traditional systems.

Are you saying "who cares about the parents and the kids?"

#18 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Tina, I really try to avoid making those statements. I am only sitting in front of a computer researching issues and trying to provide facts to generate dialogue.

#19 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

A newley created Deans position for Luce and supposedly a position for his wife too.  Melin says to New Wash you can kiss my ***.  I would laugh ohhhhhhh so hard if Luce would back out at the final hour.  And, I have no ill will towards Jeff at all, it just comes down to right and wrong. 

• Donna likes this

#20 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Academics takes a back seat to sports. Nothing against sports mind you, but this is ridiculous. It will also be interesting to see tomorrow night how many millions Melin wants for the upcoming referendum -- to build schools we don't need. Money is no object to this admin. I wish NW and Charlestown could pull away from GCCS.
  • Avid Reader and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users