• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#3 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

I believe if the police killed this young man than they should be prosecuted. But protest and riots are 2 different things in my opinion . Protest are our right. Riots are criminal .
  • CityBoy, Peanut and Russell Brooksbank like this

#4 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

I ashamed to admit that I just haven't had a chance to look into the cause for these riots... yet...

Regardless of what happened though... 

I'm all for peaceful protests... maybe even some civil disobedience... 

However these thugs destroying property and hurting people should have been stopped... 

INSTEAD... apparently we have entered a time when people believe they have the right to riot and destroy crap... AND it's now government endorsed in some places... crazy stuff... 

• CityBoy, grammy, Peanut and 1 other like this

#5 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

The rioters are criminals and should be treated as such. With that said some of these videos showing the actions of these thug cops are despicable. This brutality has been happening for years and needs to be addressed. It's not a race issue it happens to white people as well as black people. It happens to men and women alike. I almost always side with the police but these videos are hard if not impossible to justify. I know that the biggest part of policeman are good honest people that do a very hard job really well. The few bad ones are the ones I'm referring to in this post.

Edited by ICU, 28 April 2015 - 07:27 PM.

• grammy and Peanut like this

#6 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

When predominately white people riot, they are called "revelers" as it usually involves a sports team winning/losing.  Sports fans are well known to torch sofas, cars, whatever, whether they win or lose, but black people are called thugs, pigs, criminals . . .

I think it's wrong on either scale.  I also noticed that the mainstream media did not show the community coming together to try to stem the anger and clean up the debris.  Violence sells more headlines than community activism. 

• kelley, Pesty Version 2 and Russell Brooksbank like this

#7 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:10 AM

When groups torch 144 cars in one night, they are called thugs.

Does not matter what color their skin is.

• JenS likes this

#8 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

When predominately white people riot, they are called "revelers" as it usually involves a sports team winning/losing.  Sports fans are well known to torch sofas, cars, whatever, whether they win or lose, but black people are called thugs, pigs, criminals . . .

I think it's wrong on either scale.  I also noticed that the mainstream media did not show the community coming together to try to stem the anger and clean up the debris.  Violence sells more headlines than community activism. 

yes... and there were peaceful protests going on in Baltimore for a while before all of this happened on the day of the funeral. but none of those peaceful protests were newsworthy apparently.

• Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#9 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

I am from the Baltimore area and it just makes me sick to know that people are causing so much trouble.  The police admitted to wrong doing and should held accountable.  These thugs are not very smart because they are burning up their own neighborhood. :sad:

• grammy likes this

#10 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

They should have droned the CVS when it was full of looters. They would only have to do that two or three times and people would decide that a case of Skittles isn't worth the risk. Of course I say that (sort of) tongue in cheek. But it would have been cool if the non-looters in the neighborhood would have taken some kind of action like the mom in Woo's video and protected their neighborhood assets.

#11 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

INSTEAD... apparently we have entered a time when people believe they have the right to riot and destroy crap...

We entered that period in the 1800s!

draftriotmap.jpg

• kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#12 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

Nothing to protest here!

http://www.theatlant...ltimore/391158/

Baltimore has been run by Democrats since 1967, the Mayor is black, the City Council is predominantly black, the Police Commissioner is black, the police department is predominantly black, the city is 63% black. So..........where is the racism?  It's called reaping what you sow!

• TruthToPower, Peanut and Dulcimore Dan like this

#13 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

"Police brutality reforms sought by city leaders failing in Annapolis"

Legislation sought by Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and other city leaders to deal with police brutality complaints has failed in Annapolis.

One bill introduced at the mayor's behest has been killed, and the other is being quashed in committee. With a week left in the annual 90-day legislative session, only a handful of relatively minor bills remain alive in the General Assembly that would seek to hold police more accountable for how they treat citizens.

http://www.baltimore...ory.html#page=1

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 29 April 2015 - 09:44 AM.

• kelley likes this

#14 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

"Police brutality reforms sought by city leaders failing in Annapolis"

Legislation sought by Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and other city leaders to deal with police brutality complaints has failed in Annapolis.

One bill introduced at the mayor's behest has been killed, and the other is being quashed in committee. With a week left in the annual 90-day legislative session, only a handful of relatively minor bills remain alive in the General Assembly that would seek to hold police more accountable for how they treat citizens.

http://www.baltimore...ory.html#page=1

So, as usual, the incompetent liberals screw things up and want somebody else, (the legislature) to fix it for them?  The police work for her and the Council.  If they have hired thugs as officers the buck stops with them.  Local government sets SOPs for local police departments, handles hiring AND discipline!  It is in her lap!  There are plenty of laws on the books to protect citizens, primarily within our Constitution, you know, the one most liberals detest?  These people do not want to alienate their thug constituency or the police unions by enforcing existing laws so they try to pass the buck.

Edited by Oldgoat, 29 April 2015 - 09:59 AM.

• TruthToPower likes this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

Baltimore has been run by Democrats since 1967, the Mayor is black, the City Council is predominantly black, the Police Commissioner is black, the police department is predominantly black, the city is 63% black. So..........where is the racism? It's called reaping what you sow!

I didn't say anything about racism or Democrats. The stats in the article are what they are.

And, personally, I'd say the drug war has planted many/most of the bad seeds (looting of the city from redevelopment schemes is in the mix too). That isn't a partisan policy, just a violent and destructive one that runs totally counter to any ideal of liberty.

#16 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

Letting thugs run wild has never worked in ANY society!  The media has clearly played this up with a racial tinge as have the usual instigators, Sharpton, et al.  All we have heard for the last several years is how young black men are being singled out by police..  Even after the facts come out as they did in Ferguson, PROVING the officer did nothing wrong, Obama and his flunkies still talk of the "injustice" of Ferguson.  The facts that our most troubled cities are and have been run by Democrats is almost universally left out of articles.  I consider that a very important factor worthy of mention.

Alcohol is legal and there is still plenty of abuse.  We don't have a drug or alcohol problem we have a conscience problem.  Legalizing hard drugs will solve nothing.  When we start refusing to support and bail out our friends and family members that CHOOSE the druggie lifestyle, things MIGHT change.  Unfortunately, few people make the "tough love" decisions to do that.  You just can't fight natural selection indefinitely without destroying our society.

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

Did you read the article? Did you see the number of incidents?

At what point do you fight back? Would you tolerate that level of abuse locally?
  • Donna likes this

#18 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

From the article linked above:

"What's crucial to understand, as Baltimore residents take to the streets in long-simmering frustration, is that their general grievances are valid regardless of how this case plays out. For as in Ferguson, where residents suffered through years of misconduct so egregious that most Americans could scarcely conceive of what was going on, the people of Baltimore are policed by an entity that perpetrates stunning abuses. The difference is that this time we needn't wait for a DOJ report to tell us so. Harrowing evidence has been presented. Yet America hasn't looked."

"$5.7 million is the amount the city paid to victims of brutality between 2011 and 2014. And as huge as that figure is, the more staggering number in the article is this one: "Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil-rights violations." What tiny percentage of the unjustly beaten win formal legal judgments?

If you're imagining that they were all men in their twenties, think again:

Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson. Those cases detail a frightful human toll. Officers have battered dozens of residents who suffered broken bones — jaws, noses, arms, legs, ankles — head trauma, organ failure, and even death, coming during questionable arrests. Some residents were beaten while handcuffed; others were thrown to the pavement."

"Lest anyone imagine that this investigation was the only tipoff of egregious misconduct among Baltimore police, more context is useful. The period covered in the brutality investigation came immediately after the FBI caught 51 Baltimore police officers in a scheme that resulted in at least 12 extortion convictions."

Edited by kelley, 29 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.

• Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

The article has more, plus links to more.

What is the appropriate reaction? If a victim in an armed robbery should arm themselves for protection, how should the citizens of Baltimore protect themselves from these THUGS?

Edited by kelley, 29 April 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#20 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

So, as usual, the incompetent liberals screw things up and want somebody else, (the legislature) to fix it for them?  The police work for her and the Council.  If they have hired thugs as officers the buck stops with them.  Local government sets SOPs for local police departments, handles hiring AND discipline!  It is in her lap!  There are plenty of laws on the books to protect citizens, primarily within our Constitution, you know, the one most liberals detest?  These people do not want to alienate their thug constituency or the police unions by enforcing existing laws so they try to pass the buck.

Isn't the state supposed to to deal with corrupt police at a local level? Isn't that their job?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 29 April 2015 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users