46 replies to this topic

#41 downtowner

downtowner

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Wow... I'd have to say you just don't care for Ms. Miller. To say she is -'not supportive of all of the merchants who work hard for downtown' is a *very broad* statement and YOUR opinion.  Or is it that you know this because she said this directly to you???  Opinion is not fact. Yes, Becka is a downtown merchant, but I feel your comment is very unfair.

no, I said "who work so hard IN our downtown" and yes in my opinion and observation the business owners and employees do work hard (in our downtown)

#42 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

I dont know Kates stand or views on the homeless in downtown but I do know she had little to do with the day room/shelter being rejected. The plan was voted down because it was close to the old Ray Parrella restaurant and early in this administration redevelopment had hopes of someone reopening the restaurant. I heard moore say several times that the restaurant would never reopen with THOSE PEOPLE across the street. A day or two before the vote was taken I was in Andy Crouchs going over some 10th Street projects when moore stepped in and asked Andy if he had everything set up so it would fail. Andy replied it was taken care of and if they went for rezoning the requirements would be too expensive. I don't know Andy views on the homeless but I do know moore wanted them anywhere but Jeffersonville. Andy had to follow orders to keep his job.

The city needs to step up and help with the homeless problem, not make it harder for them to survive.

And.......Becka will make the best council rep for the first district, just my 2 cents worth.

Miller lead the Rose Hill Neighborhood Association in their opposition. She got up and spoke against it at at least one meeting, telling a story about finding someone she assumed was homeless on her porch.
  • Donna likes this

#43 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Wow... I'd have to say you just don't care for Ms. Miller. To say she is -'not supportive of all of the merchants who work hard for downtown' is a *very broad* statement and YOUR opinion. Or is it that you know this because she said this directly to you??? Opinion is not fact. Yes, Becka is a downtown merchant, but I feel your comment is very unfair.

I can vouch for downtowner. As their name suggests, they are in a position to know how someone has interacted with or treated the downtown merchants.

Edited by kelley, 01 May 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#44 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I can vouch for downtowner. As their name suggests, they are in a position to know how someone has interacted with or treated the downtown merchants.

As can I... vouch for a friend and downtown business owner who has never had a bad experience with -either- of the ladies running for office. I have already said *both* are good candidates.

I think it's unfortunate that this race -at lease between these two ladies - is appearing to be turning into a race leaning more on preferred personality and who seems to have more friends and connections than the real issues.

#45 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

As can I... vouch for a friend and downtown business owner who has never had a bad experience with -either- of the ladies running for office. I have already said *both* are good candidates.

I think it's unfortunate that this race -at lease between these two ladies - is appearing to be turning into a race leaning more on preferred personality and who seems to have more friends and connections than the real issues.

To my mind, homelessness and the city's response to it is very much a real issue.
  • Not Super But Honest Mike and theinformer like this

#46 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

I agree Kelley- it is a real issue. 

It was stated that 

"This day shelter would have meant being on a TARC bus line, clean clothes and personal hygiene available, filling out job applications online, learning about local resources (food pantries and clothes closets,) applying for assistance (food, shelter or utilities.) "       While that's fine- I think a few more things could be added that I feel are equally as important as access to a shower and access to the internet. I would tend to believe many people in a homeless situation are there because of a disconnect from their family, a break in a family unit- divorce/abuse/loss, health issues etc. People in situations like those mentioned, would greatly benefit from mental health counseling - I would add that to the list. 

They might also be lacking in employment skills, so knowing how to read and type - since for most jobs, even at McDonalds, you have to know how to communicate, read a screen and count change- basic educational skills must be mastered.  Perhaps the city could check into a program similar to what Junior Achievement does with young people, and format a program for those in more of an adult age bracket.  At least a year ago, I mentioned the city should start some type of an incubator program for people in our community wanting to start a business or learn new skills. There are a lot more details involved in that particular topic that is too much to share now; but gosh, wouldn't it be great if the city did something pro-active in the form of a structured program to help teach these life skills- that people need- in order to live on their own? An incubator could also help people who were not homeless, but would maybe be interested in starting a business and need help getting things off the ground. And the whole city could support this group effort to lift up those in our community who need a hand up not a hand out. Personally, I don't think we have the right people in office capable of approaching the homeless situation. I do believe the candidate is out there- but, as a whole, the next administration has to seriously lead a program with results.  We can't  just salvage a building and give people a place to check email and continue their day homeless and unemployable- sometimes people need to be pushed.

We need a program similar to THIS in our community-  http://www.changelives.org/about_us

Housing needs to be addressed. And I'm sorry, I'm going to say this and take the heat on my comment- some of those houses that were torn down and or moved for the initial canal/bridge project- could have been kept for shelter- even temporarily- maybe I'm completely wrong, but while all the canal debate was going on- people slept under bridges- even for a few nights, i'm sure many would have preferred that over being in the elements.  Someone appointed by the next mayor needs to lead a task force that exclusively addresses the homeless situation. Someone with *proven results* for programs they have worked with which lead to a decrease in homelessness or an increase in getting homeless people in a positive environment with positive personal and employable skills which will lead them out of their current situation. 

I'm sure if someone in office, seriously reached out to other businesses within in the community and began a program with successful business owners contributing their time, expertise, knowledge and skills- together a program could be designed that might prove successful. Surely there is grant money somewhere that can help.

#47 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

We could all list off what we think an ideal program would be. However, that takes time and resources and everyone's buy-in.

In the case of the day shelter, people we're already taking the initiative. The taxpayers and city government were being asked for nothing except permission to serve. Permission was denied.

Edited by kelley, 03 May 2015 - 11:58 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar and ConcernedHoosier like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users