46 replies to this topic

#21 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

JP does bring out strong emotions in the political process.

There are  good candidates in the first district.

To say that  say DW is more educated

or knowledgeable

than bro JP is a farce.

:poke:  :no:

:popcorn:

#22 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

The breakfast club sages

that someone denigrated

say

that it will take 400 primary votes

to win the first district.

What is the order

of finish?

:sweat: :whistle:

Edited by Savile Row, 29 April 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#23 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

Kate Miller, as president of Rose Hill Neighborhood Association, was staunchly against Exit 0 occupying the defunct J & J Video store as a DAY shelter.  The plan was to have showers, laundry and support help (computers and job counseling) available for those in need.  Roll Tide is correct that this was a planning & zoning issue, but when the surrounding neighborhood stridently says, "No!" the variance usually does not happen. 

This day shelter would have meant being on a TARC bus line, clean clothes and personal hygiene available, filling out job applications online, learning about local resources (food pantries and clothes closets,) applying for assistance (food, shelter or utilities.)   

Edit to add:  computer access

You know Donna, I can look out my bedroom window and see the old J&J store and I was never asked by anyone from Zoning about the use of the building by Exit 0. I can also say my neighbors on both side can justify it as well. Just another move by Shane Corbin and the Zoning group.

#24 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

I'm not completely aware of this whole situation, but I have a question- If there was a valid lease, sufficient donations and the owner's blessing to open- then why didn't it? What is the rest of that story? Just asking.

Why do you feel she has an attitude towards lower income individuals?? Have other situations occurred? I am not asking to provoke anything- just wondering as I am not aware and again- we're all getting ready to cast a vote. If comments are valid, that's one thing, if it's someone's opinion on a situation or hearsay, that's another. Not defending anyone- but perhaps there were more reasons for her to consider opposing the shelter at the time it was being presented for consideration. Again, I'm just asking.

I was very involved in the effort, including attending meeting where opposition was expressed.

Zoning was used as an excuse used by those voting against it. A change had to be requested, and the excuse for denying was that it was an inappropriate location for a ministry. However, there is already a church two doors away, and while this debate was going on, there was also a church located within 300 Spring which had the same zoning designation as Exit O's building.

I would recommend anyone that is considering voting for Miller ask her about her feelings about the homeless in downtown if this is important to them.

Edited by kelley, 30 April 2015 - 07:15 AM.

• Donna likes this

#25 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

There are  good candidates in the first district.

To say that  say DW is more educated

or knowledgeable

than bro JP is a farce.

:poke:  :no:

I will admit that JP is a crafty person and very smart. He knew how to screw over the 1st district for so many years when he was the council person then. I came into that area in 2006 and I learned quickly that this guy did not have our best intentions in his mind or at the front of the agenda. He was looking for a bigger seat. He got that seat in 2012 when he was appointed to fill Moore's empty seat on the County Commissioner's board. Then he used that seat to fix the road out by his house in Bethlehem while the county highway department was struggling for funds. In John's mind though that was alright because he used the key word, Safety. The only safety there was his wallet! I flooded several times when John was our council person and he never cared once. He held a meeting one time and had the residents go to a Public Works meeting in which then Mayor Waiz skipped. Obly 2 residents were allowed to speak even though we were all on the agenda. Clark Miles ended our time due to more pressing issues in the city at the time. The more pressing issue was approval on new Fire Department uniforms. In the mean time Perkins sat there and did absolutely nothing to help the residents. Perkins a very smart person who knows how to manipulate the system to get what he wants. On Tuesday we need to do the same thing and vote for anyone but this guy. Censorship will not allow me to call him what he really is.

• Big Bopper likes this

#26 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

DW is more educated.  I base this on degrees earned.

Although I do not discount JP's education degree.

#27 downtowner

downtowner

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

Miller also is not supportive of all the merchants who work so hard in our downtown. I have heard this from business owners and employees. Becka IS a downtown merchant.Dont know about White and forget about Perkins.

Edited by downtowner, 30 April 2015 - 08:24 AM.

• Beading Lady, flowergirl and Donna like this

#28 flowergirl

flowergirl

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Education does not equal smart. I have 2 college degrees on my wall (one from UL and one from Tulane) and I don't have half the smarts and passion for downtown Jeff as my mom does. I'd take someone with a lifelong dedication and proven support of the area over someone with lots of diplomas. Anybody can buy an education, but it takes someone really smart to run a successful business for over 20 years and to build a loyal and dedicated customer base. 

Edited by flowergirl, 30 April 2015 - 08:25 AM.

• kelley, Beading Lady, Kruger87 and 1 other like this

#29 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

You can have a wall full of degrees and doctorates but if you don't use them in the correct manner all they are Emergency toilet paper!! DW may have a few degrees as does Perkins. Does it mean that they have the best interest at heart for the district? I do not know DW very well other than the one time I had to deal with him. He was appointed special counsel for the Zoning Board Appeals when the council was suing the city and Les could not comment for the RD department. DW stepped in and the only interest I saw that night was his interest of who was paying his check. The council's attorney SL had a lot information and facts about the property in question and the Board made him stop because he as not a resident in the effected area. DW was placed there by Moore and Les to keep the RD good ole boy favor to the party in mention. I hate to say it first impressions are lasting impressions. On that night DW had no care, thoughts, or the tax payers of that district. The only thing he wanted to represent was his two bosses.

• flowergirl and Donna like this

#30 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

An Education can never be taken away from you.  It is of value.

As I said earlier, Education and Community Involvement.

#31 RollTide

RollTide

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

how 400 wins the race. What would the overall turn out end of being? Around 750?

#32 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

There are good candidates in the first district.
To say that say DW is more educated
or knowledgeable
than bro JP is a farce.

:poke: :no:

John Perkins is one of the worst I have ever seen on the jeffersonville city council I have seen this man get up at a council meeting while a presentation was going on and walk out into the hallway to talk to some developers who's zoning was not passed mins before and Perkins told the developers that he thought he had the votes covered to get it passed but said not to worry he has other options to get it done. By the way he was the only one who voted for the zoning change. The man is a snake and snakes can't trusted
  • Donna and Big Bopper like this

#33 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

I was very involved in the effort, including attending meeting where opposition was expressed.
Zoning was used as an excuse used by those voting against it. A change had to be requested, and the excuse for denying was that it was an inappropriate location for a ministry. However, there is already a church two doors away, and while this debate was going on, there was also a church located within 300 Spring which had the same zoning designation as Exit O's building.
I would recommend anyone that is considering voting for Miller ask her about her feelings about the homeless in downtown if this is important to them.

I dont know Kates stand or views on the homeless in downtown but I do know she had little to do with the day room/shelter being rejected. The plan was voted down because it was close to the old Ray Parrella restaurant and early in this administration redevelopment had hopes of someone reopening the restaurant. I heard moore say several times that the restaurant would never reopen with THOSE PEOPLE across the street. A day or two before the vote was taken I was in Andy Crouchs going over some 10th Street projects when moore stepped in and asked Andy if he had everything set up so it would fail. Andy replied it was taken care of and if they went for rezoning the requirements would be too expensive. I don't know Andy views on the homeless but I do know moore wanted them anywhere but Jeffersonville. Andy had to follow orders to keep his job.

The city needs to step up and help with the homeless problem, not make it harder for them to survive.

And.......Becka will make the best council rep for the first district, just my 2 cents worth.
  • flowergirl likes this

#34 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

" Mayors fault..."

Like a broken record.

• grammy likes this

#35 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Miller also is not supportive of all the merchants who work so hard in our downtown. I have heard this from business owners and employees. Becka IS a downtown merchant.Dont know about White and forget about Perkins.

Wow... I'd have to say you just don't care for Ms. Miller. To say she is -'not supportive of all of the merchants who work hard for downtown' is a *very broad* statement and YOUR opinion.  Or is it that you know this because she said this directly to you???  Opinion is not fact. Yes, Becka is a downtown merchant, but I feel your comment is very unfair.  

#36 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

Five days to go....

1st District City Council race discussions....

BC

KM

JP

DW

Does anyone have an estimated breakdown of the votes that each will receive?

Order of finish?

:pirate: :angel: :D :wacko:

#37 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

[quote name="woo" post="155886" timestamp="1430445730"]Like a broken record.[/quote

Only the truth and I swear to it on a stack of bibles!

#38 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

Kate Miller, as president of Rose Hill Neighborhood Association, was staunchly against Exit 0 occupying the defunct J & J Video store as a DAY shelter.  The plan was to have showers, laundry and support help (computers and job counseling) available for those in need.  Roll Tide is correct that this was a planning & zoning issue, but when the surrounding neighborhood stridently says, "No!" the variance usually does not happen. 

This day shelter would have meant being on a TARC bus line, clean clothes and personal hygiene available, filling out job applications online, learning about local resources (food pantries and clothes closets,) applying for assistance (food, shelter or utilities.)   

Edit to add:  computer access

---Question---- You stated:

'when the neighborhood stridently says, "No!" the variance usually does not happen. '  As the neighborhood representative- Kate was representing her neighborhood's desire regarding if this location opened- Why would you *blame* Kate that it didn't pass? As if it was her decision alone to say this day shelter is not wanted in *her* neighborhood. To me, it sounds like she was doing exactly what I would think a neighborhood association would want her to be doing - speaking on their behalf; and taking the heat when people speak out, as you have.  Isn't that what we are wanting our elected official to do for us? -To listen to what we want as a district and speak and/ or vote based on what we want?  And be strong and take the heat as she has?? 

If I'm giving my vote to someone in exchange for representing me, you darn well better believe I am going to want someone strong, educated and diplomatic speaking and voting on my behalf.  Sorry, but we agree to disagree.

#39 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

---Question---- You stated:

'when the neighborhood stridently says, "No!" the variance usually does not happen. '  As the neighborhood representative- Kate was representing her neighborhood's desire regarding if this location opened- Why would you *blame* Kate that it didn't pass? As if it was her decision alone to say this day shelter is not wanted in *her* neighborhood. To me, it sounds like she was doing exactly what I would think a neighborhood association would want her to be doing - speaking on their behalf; and taking the heat when people speak out, as you have.  Isn't that what we are wanting our elected official to do for us? -To listen to what we want as a district and speak and/ or vote based on what we want?  And be strong and take the heat as she has?? 

If I'm giving my vote to someone in exchange for representing me, you darn well better believe I am going to want someone strong, educated and diplomatic speaking and voting on my behalf.  Sorry, but we agree to disagree.

That was my understanding as well at the time too...While my family had no problem with the shelter,  many residents of the neighborhood did not want it...She was doing her job as president of the association and representing the majority of neighbors.

• The Optimist likes this

#40 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:53 AM

My bad, Optimist.  I thought your post was for info and I gave the info that I have.  You know who you're voting for . . . rock on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users