46 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetpea

Sweetpea

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

I am really worried that we have too many options for District 1; and as such, Perkins might slip back in.  I think there are a couple of really good candidates.  I am wondering if there are any polls?  How people feel - will you vote?  

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

I'd love to see everyone get behind Becka. I agree there's a potential mess with the number of candidates and Perkins in the mix.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, flowergirl and 2 others like this

#3 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Kate has my vote. We need fresh faces, ideas and people without strings attached. 

• HopingforMiracles likes this

#4 RollTide

RollTide

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

Another vote for Kate, you GO Girl!

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

Becka has NO strings attached, but, yeah, she's not a fresh face . . . she's been here all her life. 

• GrumpyGranny, flowergirl and Big Bopper like this

#6 downtowner

downtowner

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

Becka is my choice. She is well versed with downtown, understands the needs and issues and listens to us. She will be a great representative for this district
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 2 others like this

#7 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

Becka's face is so fresh! Not new, but fresh as a daisy!
  • GrumpyGranny, flowergirl and Donna like this

#8 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

This Vote goes to White.

Education trumps all others.

#9 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

I would take the neighbors dog before I took Perkins and his bag of tricks!!! We cannot blame the judge because this piece of work slipped in on a technicality. I knew when I saw on the news at his hearing and he did not make a comment he had some trick up his sleeve! Through every social media outlet out there we have to spread the word that this guy has to go for good!! Lets send him back to his REAL RESIDENCE in Bethlehem with tears in his eyes and the feel of defeat in his chest!!

• Donna, Big Bopper and Sweetpea like this

#10 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

I don't live in the 1st District, but if I did, I would be inclined to vote for Dustin White.  He seems to be very well-qualified, and I'm impressed with his background.

• Sleepy likes this

#11 flowergirl

flowergirl

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Becka Christensen is a lifelong resident of downtown Jeffersonville. She has devoted many years to the improvement of downtown, both commercial and residential. 

She is an alumnus of Rose Hill elementary, Parkview Junior High and Jeffersonville High School. 

She started her volunteer and community involvement early, as a Girl Scout (brownie troop) leader for her daughters troop at Rose Hill elementary. She was also a PTO officer of Rose Hill while her daughter was a student.

She was a committee member of the Clark County Empty Stocking Fund, where she helped sort toys and organize gifts for underprivileged children of Clark County. 

She has served as a member of City Pride, as a neighborhood advisor on the Clark County Youth Shelter board, and a board member of Jeffersonville Main Street, Inc. 
Due to her commitment to the city and all of her volunteer activities she was honored with an award from the Jeffersonville United to Make Progress (JUMP) committee.

She and her husband opened Affairs of the Heart Florist nearly 25 years ago, when downtown Jeffersonville was struggling to make a comeback. Wasting no time, Becka, Danny and their daughter Jamie jumped right into the heart of downtown activities, including Spring on Spring, JEFF Fest, and numerous holiday events. She was a founding member of the original Halloween in Downtown, which started as a very small event held in Warder Park and quickly grew into one of the premier events in Downtown Jeff. She is a member of the Downtown Merchants Association and is past secretary. Currently she serves on the Jeffersonville 4th of July parade committee.

In 2008 she was elected to the Greater Clark County School Board, where she represented District 7. She served as President of the board in 2010. While on the school board she served as a board member of the Jeffersonville Boys and Girls Club, and also on the Jeffersonville Redevelopment Board. 

She and her husband are also founding members of the Franklin Commons Neighborhood Association, which encompasses a large portion of downtown Jeffersonville. Along with fellow neighbors, the association has monthly get togethers, celebrations to remember the Great Hurricane Ike Windstorm, and block parties. They are a staple in many downtown events.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 3 others like this

#12 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

One of my first few communications with Becka - she'd made friends with my kids years before - was as a parent having trouble with the school system. At the time, Becka served on the school board. The problem was addressed quickly, and we received an apology from the administration.

Residents would experience the same attention and assertiveness on their behalf with Becka on the council.
  • Quasar, flowergirl and Donna like this

#13 ButchKeeney

ButchKeeney

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

After I read the article in the paper about the 1st district candidates, I think that after the district changes I am now actually in the 1st district, and my polling place has changed. I voted at  Maple during the last election, but now I am not sure where to vote. Does anyone know where the 200 block of EAST Park Place Votes?

Thanks for the help.

#14 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

https://indianavoter...px?Link=Polling

Check here.

#15 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

While my vote will go to Kate, I do agree Becka is very devoted to the community. She too, is genuine and passionate about what goes on with safety issues, education and business growth.

Both ladies would do an excellent job- my vote is for Kate because I believe she will bring fresh eyes and has no where to go but up-- for everyone in the community. I truly believe she is passionate about the economic growth that lies ahead for downtown as well as the rest of Jeff. Education is a priority- the kids are our future decision makers. I believe she will work well with others and vote what's best for the community based on what is being shared with her by the community. 

I think this will be a tough race in this district. Good luck- in particular to both of these ladies.

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

Here's the key concern I have about Miller: her attitude toward lower-income folks. She was among those that strongly opposed Exit 0 opening a day shelter on the North side of Court Ave though they were asking for no money from the city, already had a valid lease, the owner's blessing and sufficient donations in place.
  • Donna and hillbilly highway like this

#17 RollTide

RollTide

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

Here's the key concern I have about Miller: her attitude toward lower-income folks. She was among those that strongly opposed Exit 0 opening a day shelter on the North side of Court Ave though they were asking for no money from the city, already had a valid lease, the owner's blessing and sufficient donations in place.

Accually, it's common knowledge that this was a planning and zoning issue.

#18 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

I'm not completely aware of this whole situation, but I have a question- If there was a valid lease, sufficient donations and the owner's blessing to open- then why didn't it? What is the rest of that story? Just asking.

Why do you feel she has an attitude towards lower income individuals?? Have other situations occurred? I am not asking to provoke anything- just wondering as I am not aware and again- we're all getting ready to cast a vote. If comments are valid, that's one thing, if it's someone's opinion on a situation or hearsay, that's another. Not defending anyone- but perhaps there were more reasons for her to consider opposing the shelter at the time it was being presented for consideration. Again, I'm just asking.

#19 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for clarifying that Roll Tide. I honestly feel there has to be more to that previous comment. I do not in any way believe Kate has anything but empathy for anyone in a stressful financial situation. What I know of her, I would think she would be one of the first to step up and help- as I am sure Becka would also- and the gentlemen as well.

#20 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

Kate Miller, as president of Rose Hill Neighborhood Association, was staunchly against Exit 0 occupying the defunct J & J Video store as a DAY shelter.  The plan was to have showers, laundry and support help (computers and job counseling) available for those in need.  Roll Tide is correct that this was a planning & zoning issue, but when the surrounding neighborhood stridently says, "No!" the variance usually does not happen. 

This day shelter would have meant being on a TARC bus line, clean clothes and personal hygiene available, filling out job applications online, learning about local resources (food pantries and clothes closets,) applying for assistance (food, shelter or utilities.)   

Edit to add:  computer access

Edited by Donna, 29 April 2015 - 11:01 PM.

• kelley likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users