8 replies to this topic

#1 AerialView

AerialView

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

This is a meeting to discuss health and safety issues and possible legal options available to residents.

It is open to Northaven, parents of children in Thomas Jefferson School and the Walnut Ridge Area. Everyone is invited no matter where you live in Jeffersonville.  It is an opportunity to listen to the experts and educate ourselves.  I've attached an aerial showing a 1 mile radius around the plant.Attached File  1mileradius.jpg   234.61KB   3 downloads

A 43 page report came out on February 23rd about the health problems associated with being exposed to the toxic mix that an asphalt plant puts into the environment. 

The meeting will be held at St. Lukes Church of Christ on Aprils 30th at 11:00AM.

Our mayor pulled MAC's permit which, MAC is still fighting in court.  Mayor Moore understands our problem and his actions have proven he is willing to do what is right for the people.   MAC on the other hand, could care less about toxic chemicals in an environment that kids play in or neighbors enjoy.  This is our opportunity to become more educated about this issue.  The day we get to go before the zoning appeals board, we can all be prepared.  That is our goal.

Thanks

Pat Barrow

• kelley likes this

#2 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, a weekday time during the day isn't very convenient for most working people!  You will have to keep us posted on what happens.

• firefly1937 likes this

#3 AerialView

AerialView

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

I will be glad to.  If we have a large response for another time, I will try to organize another time.  

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Weekends or during the week around 7 would probably work for most of the folks impacted. I know with my schedule I don't hit Jeffersonville until 6:30 to 7:00 during the week due to traffic from Louisville. I get off at 6pm.

I live in The Woods of Northaven which is on the edge of the boundary but close enough to be within range of their chemicals

Edited by Bigfoot, 28 April 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#5 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

This is a meeting to discuss health and safety issues and possible legal options available to residents.

It is open to Northaven, parents of children in Thomas Jefferson School and the Walnut Ridge Area. Everyone is invited no matter where you live in Jeffersonville.  It is an opportunity to listen to the experts and educate ourselves.  I've attached an aerial showing a 1 mile radius around the plant.attachicon.gif1mileradius.jpg

A 43 page report came out on February 23rd about the health problems associated with being exposed to the toxic mix that an asphalt plant puts into the environment. 

The meeting will be held at St. Lukes Church of Christ on Aprils 30th at 11:00AM.

Our mayor pulled MAC's permit which, MAC is still fighting in court.  Mayor Moore understands our problem and his actions have proven he is willing to do what is right for the people.   MAC on the other hand, could care less about toxic chemicals in an environment that kids play in or neighbors enjoy.  This is our opportunity to become more educated about this issue.  The day we get to go before the zoning appeals board, we can all be prepared.  That is our goal.

Thanks

Pat Barrow

Hey there Pat,

in their industry they have to submit air quality test to the state office. Most companies like this have consulting firms who assist in the testing and ensuring that they, the company, stay in compliance with IDEM. There should be records somewhere to show their testing and what measures they did to do this. If you could get a copy of these from IDEM it may help you and the residents.

#6 firefly1937

firefly1937

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

I live in Buttonwood backing up to the golf course. I hate the plant. I have health issues and when you can smell the plant, I can't even step outside. I would love to know what happens. I am at work in Louisville, so I won't be able to attend.

• kelley likes this

#7 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

I live in Buttonwood backing up to the golf course. I hate the plant. I have health issues and when you can smell the plant, I can't even step outside. I would love to know what happens. I am at work in Louisville, so I won't be able to attend.

You should try it in my neighborhood!! I have the Pfau corporation and the 10th street pump station hitting us!! Nothing like the smell of road kill animals getting cooked down for their oils and the smell of sewage on a hor summer day. At least when the weather gets bad you get a break from the asphalt plant. We get this year round!!

• firefly1937 likes this

#8 AerialView

AerialView

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

We had a very interesting meeting.  I think it is worth repeating on an evening schedule so others can attend.  A lot of other people, not just Jefferson Court, showed up.  We were told about the affects of the pollutants that MAC puts in our environment every day they operate.  One of the more serious issues is the children at Thomas Jefferson Elementary School playing in the dust that causes cancer.  I intend to reach out and see how we can inform the parents about what is going on.  Any suggestions are welcome!

It was a real treat when Mayor Moore came to the meeting.  Those who were there, witnessed a Mayor who cares about the people.  He is exactly the man for the job.

Hey Kruger, about the inspection.  Indiana was inspecting plants every five years.  Now they just allow the company to monitor themselves.  "hang me"   It is another way that government can turn their backs on the people and allow companies to pollute unmercifully.   I remember before the self monitoring law went into affect, they were inspected and they found a problem.  Can't remember what it was but, IDEM allowed them to correct it and didn't even slap them on the wrist.

Pat Barrow

• kelley and firefly1937 like this

#9 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Pat -- I suggest calling the school and asking who the president of the PTO is.   Then contact her/him and see if you can speak at the next PTO meeting or distribute information.

• kelley likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users