108 replies to this topic

#41 AerialView

AerialView

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

I was the 911 caller.  3:30AM the police found a guy trying to get in my back door.  I thought at first it was my husband coming home from work.  Then I heard voices.  I could tell by the tone of the voice it was trouble.  I was running to the door (armed) when I heard a God awful scream.  The police had tasared him at my back door and he jumped from the porch into the bushes and onto a patio.  Not a good way to get off the porch.

I witnessed the two police trying to subdue this guy and he was having no part of it.  The tasar did nothing but piss this guy off.  He was big and wild.  When it became apparent the police were in trouble, I called 911.  (with 2 police on him, he still knocked one off on his back)  The guy is lucky he didn't get shot.  I thought they would have been justified.

In seconds almost 12 cars showed up and it took 6 police to finally shackle him.  He was never "subdued".  Police had to ride in the ambulance to get him to a trauma center.

Turns out their radios didn't transmit and they needed back up.  They put their lives on the line that night.  I think I'm safe saying someone could have gotten hurt because, they didn't get through to dispatch.

I cannot thank them enough.  They were heroes. 

• kelley, Mr. Gray, Oldgoat and 3 others like this

#42 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

I dont' get it. (Sorry this happened to you).

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 28 April 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#43 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

I dont' get it. (Sorry this happened to you).

This is how it was explained to me.

"Apparently the decision makers at 911 decided that all the police officers in Clark County should be on the same radio channel.  This allows only one person to talk at a time. So in the event of an actual emergency such as the one discussed here if the dispatcher is talking or another officer the ones calling for help are out of luck.  Combine this with under-staffing, management not caring, and some untrained or not properly trained people dispatching and you have a recipe for disaster."

Edited by Mr. Gray, 28 April 2015 - 11:21 AM.

• Oldgoat likes this

#44 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

I received a similar explanation. There is one channel specifically for emergencies. It isn't being perfectly preserved for that. Therefore, when there is an emergency, that communication may not break through the non-emergency communication taking place on that channel.

I think that was the explanation. I don't really understand what I'm relating, lol.

If I'm reading Kelly's posts here correctly, it isn't that there wasn't an issue with officer safety, but that, from the perspective of the board who investigated the situation, it wasn't specifically due to staffing levels.

#45 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

This is how it was explained to me.

"Apparently the decision makers at 911 decided that all the police officers in Clark County should be on the same radio channel.  This allows only one person to talk at a time. So in the event of an actual emergency such as the one discussed here if the dispatcher is talking or another officer the ones calling for help are out of luck.  Combine this with under-staffing, management not caring, and some untrained or not properly trained people dispatching and you have a recipe for disaster."

That is pretty much how it was explained to me.

#46 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

I can assure you that CC 911 is not at fully staffed the resent hires have to be trained for many weeks so they will not be dispatchers or call takers for sometime so it is a big issue for not only police and fire and first responder safety it's a issue for residents as well. The director and his staff knew they were falling short of employees and He had no scene of urgency to replace employees if he was he would have advertised more than word of mouth or Facebook. Give me a break his guys needs to go. And the director has one state certification that only 3 in the state have remove that requirment and you will get a much greater pool of applications. I think there are what 92 counties in Indiana so looks like 89 counties don't have that particular certification requirement

#47 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

So if there are recent hires that simply need to be trained, what would you have him do at this point?

If he hires more now, they'll need to be trained as well. right?

How many people can be trained at one time?

#48 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

My point is we should have never been at this point. Experienced People are leaving because of poor management they can't retain there employees. And it has been Said it's because of poor management and lack of the training officer and director being in the dispatch helping with stressed and over worked dispatchers. It was also said that the director himself doesn't know how to dispatch. How can that be a director that can't dispatch how dumb is that.

#49 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if this isn't just an operation trying to get someone else the control of that agency.  Trumped up issues. 

Sounds like it to me.

#50 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

I wonder if this isn't just an operation trying to get someone else the control of that agency.  Trumped up issues. 

Sounds like it to me.

Or maybe someone else NEEDS to be in control......

#51 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

Yeah. I am sure they feel the NEED for the control.  Ambition... 

#52 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Yeah. I am sure they feel the NEED for the control. Ambition...

Not trumoed up!!
Do a police ride along and you will see or by a scanner and listen to the radio traffic and stop by and ask any dispatcher that works there and they will tell you the FACTS. NOTHING IS TRUMPED UP it's a REAL LIFE AND DEATH ISSUE. ASK ANY POLICE OFFICER ASK ANY FIREFIGHTER ASK ANY EMS PERSONNEL AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THE FACTS

Edited by hillbilly highway, 01 May 2015 - 11:48 AM.

• theinformer likes this

#53 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

Some of us everyday citizens care about the public safety service we receive. I for one would like to make sure when heaven forbid if I ever need police fire or EMS that there is no issues getting me or my family the help they need to me this is not about who is liked or not liked it about a director that is capable of doing the job. And I don't care who that person is as long as they can do the job. I'm not trying to get anyone a job by saying this director can't manage I'll take anyone that can do this job and do it effectively and efficiently and with a since of urgency.

Edited by hillbilly highway, 01 May 2015 - 11:49 AM.

• theinformer likes this

#54 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

how long has Brad been director?

#55 Cryptx

Cryptx

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm working on that certification that Hillbilly Highway was talking about up there and hope to have it in a few months...  I've got my share of ideas that could resolve the issues, and some experience to back it up.

#56 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

I'm working on that certification that Hillbilly Highway was talking about up there and hope to have it in a few months... I've got my share of ideas that could resolve the issues, and some experience to back it up.

I'm ready to here your ideas. We need good people who has the best interest of the citizens at heart with the knowledge and skills you are referring too looking forward to hearing more from you.

#57 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

how long has Brad been director?

Tina I'm not sure how long Brad had been director. For sure since Jan 1 2015 but he has been at CC 911 For many years

#58 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Tina I'm not sure how long Brad had been director. For sure since Jan 1 2015 but he has been at CC 911 For many years

So he has been serving the public in this area for many years....I wonder how many lives he has saved.  

I respect his work. 

I trust Kelly knows her job.

#59 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

If he has been there for years and the problems are recent, I believe it more to do with the forced consolidation and working out the kinks with that. Maybe we should wait rather than rush to blame him. There were others who applied for the position and the board chose Brad. It's only been four months since the mandated consolidation.

Others have said it is the one channel thing. Is that Brad's fault?

Edited by Tina, 01 May 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#60 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

When a resident needs help and/or the police/firefighters/EMT's need help or reinforcements, the dispatching MUST work! 

This shouldn't be a political football.  This is a matter of public/first responders safety. 

• GrumpyGranny and hillbilly highway like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users