108 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Anyone know what's going on at Clark county 911? Been hearing some chatter that our police officers and firefighters are have some big issues getting dispatched. Not sure of the whole story just getting bits of information.

#2 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

Saw this story awhile back, is this what you are referring to  ?

http://www.wdrb.com/...aby-left-in-car

#3 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

AS I understand it, all police departments are being dispatched on the same radio frequency, unlike in the past when each department had their own dispatchers and frequency.  I can imagine there could be a bit of a bottleneck if several departments got busy at the same time.  I have also heard that perhaps some badly needed equipment for the 911 office has been nixed due to budget restraints.

#4 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

That's progress! Man, I'm glad they changed it from that old out-dated system.

#5 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

I was updated on a few things today and what I was told is the Clark county 911 is way understaffed and is putting lives in danger for our police and firefighters. they have people Quiting left and right for where ever reason. And this is how it was explained to me they have 911 call takers and they have 911 dispatchers and the dispatchers are the only contact for our police and fire so what is happening is they are so short staffed that the dispatchers are answering the 911 calls and therefore not able to stay in contact with the police and fire so if a officer is asking for help then the officer is not getting heard. That is not good not good at all.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#6 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

A high employee turnover rate is usually because of low wages and poor management. Found the website, doesn't give any contact info as to who is running the place. 

http://clarkcounty911.com/index.html

Edited by Mr. Gray, 24 April 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#7 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

First thank you Chatter member for alerting me to this issue

HH,
As a member of the 911 Fiscal Board I can tell you 911 has the equipment needed, the tech support staff to assist them with this state of the Art technology. We are near, if not as of today at, full staffing, but we also welcome applications. We are preparing this county's emergency response system to handle situations now and we are staging to handle future influx of new citizens as our county grows.

In addition to the dispatch stations we added, we also have four new training modules we included in the budget to facilitate training. So we have the tools to enhance training.

The Operations Board, which is comprise of Representatives from every police and fire agency, including Dr. Burke the County Health Officer, has addressed protocol, channel usage, equipment needs, guidelines etc. and made recommendations to our Board. The 911 dispatchers use New World Systems which was recommended and is the latest and best technology in this arena.

The 911 Fiscal Board is comprised of representatives from all of the municipalities, County Commissioners, County Council and we also have representatives from the operations board that sit on the fiscal board, including a police chief, and Sheriff representative. The director of 911 is also a non voting Board Member. We deal with budget and personnel issues for 911.

There are adjustments the emergency responders are making to the new technology and system. They are doing a great job but like anything else time will help. Our goal is to have solid transfer of information between all agencies to provide the very best service to all citizens of Clark County.

After meeting for well over a year getting this monumental task off the ground, this state mandated consolidation went live in December.

I appreciate all the hard work of all involved. Our Employees are doing a fabulous job. We made every effort for the transition to be seamless. Have we had issues? Yes. But at no time, that I am aware of, has there been an issue with police officers or firemen's safety. If so please be specific, as to the allegations, so it can be investigated, which I assure you it will!

The Operations Board meets May 13 at 1:00 pm at Central alarm in Sellersburg.
The Fiscal Board meets following the Ops Board at 3:00 pm same place.

I volunteered to be on this board and I must say it has been interesting to see all the pieces come together AND the tremendous effort by the public servants to see it be a success. But it has also been disappointing to see the personal agendas try to thwart the effort.

HH I realize your are just repeating info you received. Safety for responders and / or ALL citizens is my concern.
If you wish to move forward in looking into the issues in your post Please give ME a call 502-296-4226 I will be in and out tomorrow and will return your call ASAP if I miss it.

Thank you,
Kelly Khuri
Clark County Council Member
  • IntegrityMatters, karen, Pesty Version 2 and 1 other like this

#8 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have had contact with the Clark County 911 center in a professional capacity. (thankfully not as a 'caller')  

Occasionally have to ask for 911 tapes.  I can tell you that this outfit is superb at responding to legal 

requests in an efficient, professional and timely manner.  

I have not heard of any problems with the operations of this service. 

#9 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

First thank you Chatter member for alerting me to this issue

HH,
As a member of the 911 Fiscal Board I can tell you 911 has the equipment needed, the tech support staff to assist them with this state of the Art technology. We are near, if not as of today at, full staffing, but we also welcome applications. We are preparing this county's emergency response system to handle situations now and we are staging to handle future influx of new citizens as our county grows.

In addition to the dispatch stations we added, we also have four new training modules we included in the budget to facilitate training. So we have the tools to enhance training.

The Operations Board, which is comprise of Representatives from every police and fire agency, including Dr. Burke the County Health Officer, has addressed protocol, channel usage, equipment needs, guidelines etc. and made recommendations to our Board. The 911 dispatchers use New World Systems which was recommended and is the latest and best technology in this arena.

The 911 Fiscal Board is comprised of representatives from all of the municipalities, County Commissioners, County Council and we also have representatives from the operations board that sit on the fiscal board, including a police chief, and Sheriff representative. The director of 911 is also a non voting Board Member. We deal with budget and personnel issues for 911.

There are adjustments the emergency responders are making to the new technology and system. They are doing a great job but like anything else time will help. Our goal is to have solid transfer of information between all agencies to provide the very best service to all citizens of Clark County.

After meeting for well over a year getting this monumental task off the ground, this state mandated consolidation went live in December.

I appreciate all the hard work of all involved. Our Employees are doing a fabulous job. We made every effort for the transition to be seamless. Have we had issues? Yes. But at no time, that I am aware of, has there been an issue with police officers or firemen's safety. If so please be specific, as to the allegations, so it can be investigated, which I assure you it will!

The Operations Board meets May 13 at 1:00 pm at Central alarm in Sellersburg.
The Fiscal Board meets following the Ops Board at 3:00 pm same place.

I volunteered to be on this board and I must say it has been interesting to see all the pieces come together AND the tremendous effort by the public servants to see it be a success. But it has also been disappointing to see the personal agendas try to thwart the effort.

HH I realize your are just repeating info you received. Safety for responders and / or ALL citizens is my concern.
If you wish to move forward in looking into the issues in your post Please give ME a call 502-296-4226 I will be in and out tomorrow and will return your call ASAP if I miss it.

Thank you,
Kelly Khuri
Clark County Council Member

Mrs Khuri as a matter of fact there was a incident first of this week an Dutch Ln were two officers were asking for help and no one heard them the home owner had to call 911 again to get those officer help they were fighting with a man who was breaking into homes and this man was trying to disarm the officers.

#10 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hmmm.....and the plot thickens.....

#11 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

I don't understand.  Do the police call 911 when they want to reach their HQ?  I thought they had their own dispatch. 

#12 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

As Kelley stated, this was mandated by the state and pushed heavily by the State Police for many years.  Until recently, Jeffersonville, Clarksville, Charlestown and Sellersburg police had their own radio frequency and dispatchers as did their respective fire departments.  The Sheriffs office had their own frequency and also provided radio for Utica and Borden Police.  In recent years, the proliferation of wireless devices,(cameras, modems, cell phones, and government uses) has created a need for more available frequencies.  The government SELLS these frequencies to private interests at considerable cost.  Therefore public service agencies had their  arm  twisted to give up their frequencies in favor of higher frequency DIGITAL systems that require much less bandwidth. This is also why there is no longer analog TV. 

All calls now must pass through a "decoder" that changes them into digital data then back again at the receiving end. If any of  you ever owned a Nextel (or as we called them Next Hell) and you used the "direct connect" feature, that is basically how these systems work.  Sometimes you pushed the button and it worked and sometime it didn't.  Additionally, with all the talk about EMP, one must understand that if the computers go down the emergency personnel will have to use cans and string as the radio system, unlike the old analog systems, cannot operate without the computer decoders. 

As an amateur radio operator there is much concern that we will lose even more of our frequencies  and the time is fast approaching where ALL electronic communication is computer controlled, with CONTROL being the operative word.

Edited by Oldgoat, 25 April 2015 - 10:55 PM.

• karen likes this

#13 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:07 PM

That is fascinating. However, it doesn't answer the question of whether the police at Dutch's lane had to call 911 or not. 

#14 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

That is fascinating. However, it doesn't answer the question of whether the police at Dutch's lane had to call 911 or not.

The police did not have to call 911 the home owner did because the police have 2 channel's 1 dispatch channel and 1 service channel. The police after they are dispatched they move to service channel and everything is done over there pc there is not enough people at CC 911 to cover that channel and monitor the traffic so the officers could not get anyone to answer on the service channel so the home owner seen that no one was coming to help these officers so she called 911 again.

Edited by hillbilly highway, 26 April 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#15 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

I am sorry for my ignorance HH. But,  first,  what is "pc"?   Second,  which police department ?  Third, who monitors the "service channel"  CC 911 or the police officers on duty?

#16 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

The Dutch Lane incident mentioned in HH's post, was discussed at the recent 911 meeting. Tapes were listened to by Operation Board members and officer safety was determined not to have been an issue.

Please don't hesitate to call me if there are any questions etc.

Kelly Khuri
  • Pesty Version 2 likes this

#17 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

I don't know how to edit my previous post, but it should say, officer safety was determined not to have been an issue, due to staffing at 911.

#18 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

See previous

Edited by rosietheriveter, 26 April 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#19 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

I am sorry for my ignorance HH. But, first, what is "pc"? Second, which police department ? Third, who monitors the "service channel" CC 911 or the police officers on duty?

Pc= personal computer
Jeffersonville Police
Service channel is supposed to be monitored by CC 911

#20 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

The Dutch Lane incident mentioned in HH's post, was discussed at the recent 911 meeting. Tapes were listened to by Operation Board members and officer safety was determined not to have been an issue.

Please don't hesitate to call me if there are any questions etc.

Kelly Khuri

According to my research it was determined that it took 6 officers to subdue this person and the two first officers on the scene were somewhat battered before 4 more officer's were on the scene and these officers are tell me that this problem had accrued due to the lack of personal at CC 911. Also it was stated that the current staffing was not to power. The newly hired personal you are referring too will not be ready for 6 to 8 weeks which makes the current staffing below what was budgeted Jan 1, 2015
  • theinformer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users