81 replies to this topic

#41 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

The best answer is for the store clerk to pull their own gun on armed robbers and send them where they won't ever get out.

#42 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:19 AM

I agree with Oldgoat, the first responder to any bad situation is YOU, be aware of your surroundings and yes profile those moving around you and stay aware of what they are doing, cowards fear the light of truth and honesty just like cockroach's fear the light. 

#43 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

I'm not seeing where anything devolved, not really sure where the broad brush comments come from, either, but if you spend anytime in the south end of town , you will surely note a large amount of "wayward" citizens moping about. Of course there are great people in this part of town, it's still like a small town in most neighborhoods down here, but the bad element has certainly grown in recent years, I believe it began when town hall moved out, and gained more momentum when GRC closed.

Nah, not devolving, just having a little fun based on your earlier comment. I like this post better! Yes, Old Clarksville isn't what it used to be, but neither is downtown Jeff's residential area, and similar areas everywhere. But it is still a great place to live, and raise children. I wouldn't trade my house, or my neighborhood, for the biggest, fanciest neighborhood Clarksville has to offer. Our neighbors are all good people....

I think you're right about the area changing after losing town hall and GRC. But with every town/city, it seems that as they expand with newer, "better" subdivisions, etc., the original areas are left to crumble. The powers that be forget that without an original, old Clarksville there wouldn't be a new Clarksville. They need to remember, take some pride in the town's history and beginnings.

Having said that, I will also say that the police department has much more of a presence in our area than they did under the previous chief. They have been here for us the few times we have needed them, and gone so far as to make a second stop by to check that everything is cool. The street department runs like clockwork; trash pickup, chipper truck, etc. comes by the same day at basically the same time each week. I can't say enough good about them...

Yeah, I love old Clarksville. Hubby grew up here, we lived here early on and now we're back and will be staying.

There is a part of Clarksville I do not like...Veteran's Parkway! Too big, too much... 

• Donna and ICU like this

#44 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

The best answer is for the store clerk to pull their own gun on armed robbers and send them where they won't ever get out.

See, this is what I don't understand, OG...the dude was in the door and in two steps had his gun in her face; she had no time to reach for a gun without him seeing her intent. Don't you think if she had reached for a gun he would've blown her away before she could have pulled it out? I can't see him waiting around to see what she was reaching for.

• IntegrityMatters, Quasar, Donna and 1 other like this

#45 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

I'm glad she's okay.  Money can be replaced, she cannot. 

• GrumpyGranny, Tina, grammy and 1 other like this

#46 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Nah, not devolving, just having a little fun based on your earlier comment. I like this post better! Yes, Old Clarksville isn't what it used to be, but neither is downtown Jeff's residential area, and similar areas everywhere. But it is still a great place to live, and raise children. I wouldn't trade my house, or my neighborhood, for the biggest, fanciest neighborhood Clarksville has to offer. Our neighbors are all good people....

I think you're right about the area changing after losing town hall and GRC. But with every town/city, it seems that as they expand with newer, "better" subdivisions, etc., the original areas are left to crumble. The powers that be forget that without an original, old Clarksville there wouldn't be a new Clarksville. They need to remember, take some pride in the town's history and beginnings.

Having said that, I will also say that the police department has much more of a presence in our area than they did under the previous chief. They have been here for us the few times we have needed them, and gone so far as to make a second stop by to check that everything is cool. The street department runs like clockwork; trash pickup, chipper truck, etc. comes by the same day at basically the same time each week. I can't say enough good about them...

Yeah, I love old Clarksville. Hubby grew up here, we lived here early on and now we're back and will be staying.

There is a part of Clarksville I do not like...Veteran's Parkway! Too big, too much... 

Hey now! If not for Veterans Pkwy there would be no Longhorn steakhouse! Love the ribs there! But, yeah, we always try to go out that way early in the morning if we need to go to Sams club.......I'll take the backroads off of Lewis and Clark to get to Longhorn at supper time.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#47 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

:goodpost:   This is my biggest beef with sprawl and new development.  Especially when REdevelopment monies are used on NEW development instead of correcting the actual blighted areas.  

• GrumpyGranny and Russell Brooksbank like this

#48 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

Another problem is that "correction" normally means,"All you poor people get out while we bulldoze your homes and build a mall for our buddies." instead of,"Hey, let's get together and paint Old Man Johnson's house for him."
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Tina like this

#49 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

See, this is what I don't understand, OG...the dude was in the door and in two steps had his gun in her face;

My martial arts instructor told me that my two best self defense weapons were my two feet running away. Conceal carry instructors, if they are worth anything, will express the same sentiment. Assessing the situation is job one. The time to be reaching for your gun is not when they are already standing there with their gun in your face. At that point, it's best to give them what they want. If they make a mistake, and you believe you can, then by all means capitalize on it. If you can move or create a diversion that might buy you time to draw in that situation, but that scenario needs to be practiced a lot before you should attempt it. I'm just saying that there are times that even if you are carrying you are better off not drawing your weapon.

#50 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

http://www.wlky.com/...robber/32607040

Story/video on WLKY about the robbery.

#51 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Oh my!  I hope she is doing okay.  How very frightening for her!

#52 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

See, this is what I don't understand, OG...the dude was in the door and in two steps had his gun in her face; she had no time to reach for a gun without him seeing her intent. Don't you think if she had reached for a gun he would've blown her away before she could have pulled it out? I can't see him waiting around to see what she was reaching for.

DonnaK,  AS difficult as it may seem, if you are a clerk at a convenience store at night you need to be watching who is coming in the door. Dude comes in with his hoodie pulled way up over his face I would have my hand on the piece before he cleared the door, just in case.  I had a young friend that was working in a convenience store on Applegate Ln. in Clarksville some years ago.  He did everything they asked and they still shot him.  While he survived for some years he eventually succumbed to complications from the shooting.  I KNOW I'm better with a gun that 99% of the lazy little thugs that commit robberies and anybody that carries should practice and be confident.  Win or lose I won't leave myself at the mercy of a thug.

#53 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

Even better, refuse to work there until the owner puts up bullet proof glass for the clerk.

#54 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

Arm chair quarterbacking, while your butt isn't on the line.  Don't the police advise that you NOT escalate the situation? 

What good would bullet proof glass be for an employee cleaning up the store . . . away from the counter? 

I'm glad that she did what she needed in order to survive.  All that was lost was $$$$.  Now, I just wish her peace. 

Edited by Donna, 28 April 2015 - 09:54 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and grammy like this

#55 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

Arm chair quarterbacking, while your butt isn't on the line.  Don't the police advise that you NOT escalate the situation? 

What good would bullet proof glass be for an employee cleaning up the store . . . away from the counter? 

I'm glad that she did what she needed in order to survive.  All that was lost was $$$$.  Now, I just wish her peace. 

Umm... 1). I said not to escalate unless you were sure and well trained.

2). Obviously, bullet proof glass only helps if you are behind it. That's why you lock the doors while you are sweeping up. Make the owner put in a remote lock. Seen those before. Guy comes in to rob the place, can't shoot the clerk behind the barrier, and has to wait for the cops to show before the clerk unlocks the door. My point is that as an employee you have the power to demand safety precautions. If the owner doesn't want to do it himself then not working for him until he does will get the job done.

3). I'm glad too

4). So do I, but I also wish for the guy to be found, arrested, tried and put away for a very long time.

#56 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

Okay, you got me with #4,  but "as an employee you have the power to demand safety precautions."  Good luck with that!

#57 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

You do have power as an employee. All employees do. The hard part is realizing it. If people refused to work for that store unless they installed safety measures for the employees then they would either go out of business, make the owner do all the work or install the safety measures. I doubt the owner wants to work in an unsafe environment. People just have got to learn to stick together. Things can change.

#58 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Place gets robbed at least once a year.  CPD avoids old clarksville at all costs.  No good places for them to eat.

#59 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

So I guess we should just close the stores?  The world has 3 kinds of people: Sheep, wolves and sheepdogs!  You are obviously a sheep, I'm a sheepdog!

• Dulcimore Dan likes this

#60 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

So I guess we should just close the stores?  The world has 3 kinds of people: Sheep, wolves and sheepdogs!  You are obviously a sheep, I'm a sheepdog!

You're not a goat?
  • Oldgoat, Donna, Russell Brooksbank and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users