• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

The Sav-A-Step at Clark Blvd/Harrison Ave was robbed tonight. My daughter-in-law was working, the dude had a gun...no shots fired, she is shook up but ok. 

• IntegrityMatters, Not Super But Honest Mike, Donna and 1 other like this

#2 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

Really sorry to hear this.

With any luck the owner had some decent cameras recording?

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#3 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Sorry to hear this. So glad she wasn't hurt. Hope they catch the creep(s) soon!

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

Really sorry to hear this.

With any luck the owner had some decent cameras recording?

Yeah, they did. My understanding is his face was partially covered, but they got some good shots of him. 

• Donna and grammy like this

#5 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

I am so happy she wasn't hurt.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#6 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

That's scary news... I so glad that it ended well and she's ok...

#7 firefly1937

firefly1937

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

So scary ! I am glad that your daughter(and anyone else) wasn't hurt.

#8 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hope they share the images!

Glad she's ok!

#9 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

The south end of Clarksville used to be a really nice place to live and raise a family. Now almost all of the houses are rundown rentals and the whole area is full of drug users. It really is a shame to see this happen.

#10 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

I would say some parts are still good places to live; we love our little neighborhood! We've been here 4+ years and have not regretted buying here. I also know ICU is correct that parts of old Clarksville are not what they used to be. 

• grammy likes this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

That's what happens when neighborhood schools are closed.  Families move out of the area, more transient folk move in, if only temporarily. 

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Oldgoat and 2 others like this

#12 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Donna K. I grew up in old Clarksville and my mom still lives down there. I have nothing but great memories of growing up. There are still some nice houses and streets in that end of town. I would still be there but my wife is the boss of this household and she wouldn't go for it.

#13 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Donna. You are correct with all of those causes. I think the biggest contributing cause was the police dept. moving out of that end of town. Once they moved out to Veterans Pkwy. the downward spiral began.

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

I agree, ICU.  We rarely see a patrol car in this neck of the woods.  This store gets hit a lot and it is a brightly lit corner.

#15 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

First, sorry that your daughter experienced that. Second, I'm super glad that she is okay. Third, these are the type of crimes that I believe our police force should be dedicated to preventing/solving. Why aren't they patrolling that area? Do we need more officers or do we need to shift the focus of our force? I would definitely be interested in hosting a forum, after the election of course, to discuss this very thing with the people who live there.

#16 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

They patrol old Clarksville much more now than they used to, the problem is, there's just too many mopes with too much time on their hands. Look down the path towards browns station way the next time you're sitting at the intersection of Harrison and south clark, there's almost always a group of losers just standing around down by the middle of the trail. And it's rare to go by sav-a-step without seeing a bunch of lowlifes just milling around, probably plotting their next illegal act.
Maybe instead of having a cop sitting on browns station way running radar, they could sit at the intersection of Harrison and Clark, at least they could get somebody running the stop sign every now and then
  • GrumpyGranny and ICU like this

#17 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

If we had just one officer and I had to decide where to station him the question I would have to answer is,"Which activity violates people's rights armed robbery or going 10 mph over the speed limit?" I would rather protect people's rights than collect revenue.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 25 April 2015 - 08:13 AM.

• littletommy likes this

#18 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

I agree Russell. I'm not knocking the PD, I think they do a great job, but I also believe this is a situation that needs tending to. Old Clarksville is going down the tubes due to the lowlife factor, but I'm sure other parts of town are seeing it too. Maybe a week long head busting session in different parts of town are needed?

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#19 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

littletommy is right the police and chief Palmer are trying to clean up the old end of town. There's just alot of drugs. A big problem is the "slum lords"who will rent to anyone. They do not take care of their properties and just flat out don't care about the decent homeowners that they affect.
  • littletommy likes this

#20 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

I don't believe hiring more police officers is the answer. Look at the war on drugs. That was one of the main strategies and we all know what a failure that has been. Hiring more police with the intention of being rid of drugs only cost taxpayers more and does nothing to get rid of the problem.
  • Tina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users