13 replies to this topic

#1 cindiloohoo

cindiloohoo

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

A two week old kitten survived the fire, was found and rescued 24 hours later. His rescuers named him Miracle. Well done, Jeff Firefighters and J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter. 

• GrumpyGranny, Not Super But Honest Mike, Jules and 2 others like this

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

:thumbsup:

GOOD JOB !  !........

:super-happy-dance-smiley-emotic

• cindiloohoo, Not Super But Honest Mike and Donna like this

#3 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Met little Miracle this morning.  What a sweetie he is!  Great job by Eastside Animal Hospital and JB Ogle shelter for their response to the needs of critters of this horrible fire. 

• cindiloohoo, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 2 others like this

#4 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

Yes, I know about the miracle kitten because the city's Facebook page had made about a dozen posts about it, which is about a dozen more than the number of posts they've made showing concern for the human being still hospitalized from this fire.

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

Miracle is an inspirational story.  Found in a fire-gutted apartment, against all odds, this little fellow was rescued, (his momma didn't survive.)  The hard work and dedication of firefighters, emergency response teams, veterinarians and assistants and animal rescue, the Salvation Army, etc. deserve the recognition of their efforts. 

It is illegal to give health updates on hospitalized patients.  HIPPA law does not cover kitties.

I wish for a speedy recovery of the individual.

• cindiloohoo, kelley and flowergirl like this

#6 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Miracle is an inspirational story.  Found in a fire-gutted apartment, against all odds, this little fellow was rescued, (his momma didn't survive.)  The hard work and dedication of firefighters, emergency response teams, veterinarians and assistants and animal rescue, the Salvation Army, etc. deserve the recognition of their efforts. 

It is illegal to give health updates on hospitalized patients.  HIPPA law does not cover kitties.

I wish for a speedy recovery of the individual.

It's not illegal for emergency response teams or city officials to visit the hospital in person to show concern for the victim.  But I understand that it's an election year and cute kittens get more votes.

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm in the hospital, I don't want politicians coming to visit me!  Don't see how this is a political/vote getting scheme and am pretty sure that emergency responders do not have the time or inclination to follow up on the care of individuals they have helped.

Edited by Donna, 23 April 2015 - 07:49 AM.

• cindiloohoo, GrumpyGranny and grammy like this

#8 Harley77

Harley77

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

Wow!  Somebody whiz in your Post Toasties this morning Hickory Huskers? It is a miracle that this little fella made it out alive. Enjoy it for what it is.  Not a knock to the individual in the hospital.  Lighten up a little!

• flowergirl, Donna and Peanut like this

#9 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Wow!  Somebody whiz in your Post Toasties this morning Hickory Huskers? It is a miracle that this little fella made it out alive. Enjoy it for what it is.  Not a knock to the individual in the hospital.  Lighten up a little!

How about I decide what my attitude will be and you stick to worrying about your own?

• Not Super But Honest Mike likes this

#10 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Well, if you want to vent on a forum, don't be surprised by the various responses.  

If you want to reveal your friend/family member's health update, (hopefully with their approval) then do so.  It's just not something that the city's Facebook page may legally do.  No political football in play. 

• cindiloohoo and grammy like this

#11 cindiloohoo

cindiloohoo

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

Good grief. Hickory Huskers, I saw it posted on another thread that the injured person had lost her pets in the fire, so I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that she must be an animal lover and, as such, would probably be glad to hear that this helpless little animal was rescued. A life saved is something to be thankful for. No one here has even hinted that the loss and injuries your friend received are of little or no concern compared to the rescue of this little animal, but have correctly pointed out that HIPAA privacy restrictions regarding patient information would prevent any unauthorized person from obtaining and publicizing that information.

Instead of swooping in to scold people for celebrating that this little life was spared, you could have done something positive for your friend – get her permission to set up a legitimate donation drive to help her and publish it here. I’ve been a member here since day one and I can tell you that no matter how much we might squabble with each other over politics, Chatter people have consistently managed to put those differences aside and work together when it comes to lending a helping hand to those who have suffered catastrophic loss.

As for me, I’m going to continue being thankful for any lives that were spared, including both the life of your friend and the life of this little kitten.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Tina and 3 others like this

#12 Harley77

Harley77

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Nice Cindiloohoo! Glass half full here!

#13 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Good grief. Hickory Huskers, I saw it posted on another thread that the injured person had lost her pets in the fire, so I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that she must be an animal lover and, as such, would probably be glad to hear that this helpless little animal was rescued. A life saved is something to be thankful for. No one here has even hinted that the loss and injuries your friend received are of little or no concern compared to the rescue of this little animal, but have correctly pointed out that HIPAA privacy restrictions regarding patient information would prevent any unauthorized person from obtaining and publicizing that information.

Instead of swooping in to scold people for celebrating that this little life was spared, you could have done something positive for your friend – get her permission to set up a legitimate donation drive to help her and publish it here. I’ve been a member here since day one and I can tell you that no matter how much we might squabble with each other over politics, Chatter people have consistently managed to put those differences aside and work together when it comes to lending a helping hand to those who have suffered catastrophic loss.

As for me, I’m going to continue being thankful for any lives that were spared, including both the life of your friend and the life of this little kitten.

My original statement wasn't about anybody here.  It was about a total lack of concern shown by the mayor's office.  HIPAA doesn't prevent the city from reaching out to the injured person and checking to see if there is anything they could do for her, or at least expressing concern for her.

Also, I still feel that repeated Facebook posts/photos about the kitten reeks of politics when a single story with a couple photos could have gotten the same information out.

Edited by Hickory Huskers, 27 April 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#14 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

My wife and I are having an event to raise money for her.  Indiana charity gaming laws are pretty strict to the point that there isn't enough time for us to do this "by the book" so I can't provide a lot of detail here, but I will say that if anybody on here or anybody you know enjoys poker tournaments and has the evening of May 8 free, you can PM me for more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users