69 replies to this topic

#61 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

And calling them zombies makes it better?

I don't expect you to understand, never said it makes it better, it's just MY reality.

#62 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

I don't expect you to understand, never said it makes it better, it's just MY reality.

Is that a yes or a no?

#63 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

never said it makes it better,

Pretty clear.....

#64 JenS

JenS

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I too have been impacted by drugs. I have sympathy for the innocent families that have to deal with their loved ones but it still is a CHOICE. And, denying that and making them accountable isn't helping either. I agree that they are 'sick' but they choose to be sick. I don't have all the answers but trying to be 'PC' does nothing to fix and in fact simply hinders their recovery.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#65 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

I too have been impacted by drugs. I have sympathy for the innocent families that have to deal with their loved ones but it still is a CHOICE. And, denying that and making them accountable isn't helping either. I agree that they are 'sick' but they choose to be sick. I don't have all the answers but trying to be 'PC' does nothing to fix and in fact simply hinders their recovery.

I don't know who is suggesting that anybody has to be PC. As for me, I am just trying to understand what good comes from the name calling. I really can't see that it helps. So what's the point? I think it has something to do with a need to feel superior by kicking someone when they're down but, if I'm wrong about that,I am eager to hear what it is really all about.

Whenever there is a murder or death by other means we are told that we should be considerate of the victim's loved ones when we post comments here. It should be obvious to all that some of us participating in this discussion have lost or are about to lose loved ones due to this scourge. Why are we not afforded the same consideration? If it makes you feel better or you just can't help yourself then go ahead. Considering the hell we've already been through, I guess we can take any crap you can dish out. It's just a shame that we have to. I feel bad about Woo's fence or any other loss of property. But like I said, I would trade places with him in a New York minute. Except I guess I really wouldn't because I wouldn't wish this on anybody else.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 27 April 2015 - 01:13 PM.

• kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#66 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

I don't believe my daughters addiction is (was) a choice. She was diagnosed at 22 with depression and bipolar. Thanks to pharmaceuticals she became dependent . And soon realized opiates took her pain away. Downward spiral. We must address the mental health issues in this country. . But once they reach 18 families hands are tied. I had the mental inquest she was released within a hour. Regardless that she is now on the streets staying away from all family, I miss her , love her and want my daughter back. I have seen her coming down off heroin and it is painful to watch. I wouldn't wish this on any family. But I also can't have her in my home for my own and her daughters well being. It crushes me.
  • Quasar and Donna like this

#67 JenS

JenS

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

I don't know who is suggesting that anybody has to be PC. As for me, I am just trying to understand what good comes from the name calling. I really can't see that it helps. So what's the point? I think it has something to do with a need to feel superior by kicking someone when they're down but, if I'm wrong about that,I am eager to hear what it is really all about.

Whenever there is a murder or death by other means we are told that we should be considerate of the victim's loved ones when we post comments here. It should be obvious to all that some of us participating in this discussion have lost or are about to lose loved ones due to this scourge. Why are we not afforded the same consideration? If it makes you feel better or you just can't help yourself then go ahead. Considering the hell we've already been through, I guess we can take any crap you can dish out. It's just a shame that we have to. I feel bad about Woo's fence or any other loss of property. But like I said, I would trade places with him in a New York minute. Except I guess I really wouldn't because I wouldn't wish this on anybody else.

Agree name calling solves nothing and in fact hurts the people who are already hurting. That said, pretending that drugs are a disease as if people are simply bystanders in the their own life isn't helpful. Compassion and Accountability are not mutually exclusive.

#68 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Alcoholism is a disease and so is drug addiction . It's not like the majority are going to the bars and clubs over the weekend. These are folks who went to their doctors. When you suffer mental illness decisions and accountability isnt something you master. If you test positive for pot the dr stops your meds that he (she) addicted you to . That's when they turn to the streets . It's a disease that has the same outcome, death if left untreated. Mental disease is real and if untreated just as dangerous as cancer to the individual .
  • Donna likes this

#69 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

We need to tone down the rhetoric and work on solutions.  The jail and the proposed new jail is is not big enough. We do not have enough policemen and prosecutors to lock everyone up. In This county the prosecutor grossly overcharges the defendant and then three to five months later pleads the case down to a minimum.

We need more treatment centers.  We need to get people help immediately and not make them wait to be admitted. If the courts would order immediate  treatment as a condition to a bond  release, we might help more people. Intensive out-patient treatment helps keep people alive and after a while on the track to recovery.

• Tina and Donna like this

#70 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

We need to tone down the rhetoric and work on solutions.  The jail and the proposed new jail is is not big enough. We do not have enough policemen and prosecutors to lock everyone up. In This county the prosecutor grossly overcharges the defendant and then three to five months later pleads the case down to a minimum.

We need more treatment centers.  We need to get people help immediately and not make them wait to be admitted. If the courts would order immediate  treatment as a condition to a bond  release, we might help more people. Intensive out-patient treatment helps keep people alive and after a while on the track to recovery.

There is another option as far as when individuals are arrested-as a condition to a release, the individuals could be court ordered to receive the once a month injection of Vivitrol-provided there is funding for the shots because it is very costly and insurance will not cover it but it seems it would be cheaper then housing these individuals in jail and going through court appearance after court appearance.  Couple the Vivitrol injection with court ordered attendance at 12 step meetings and it might be a viable option.  It won't work for everyone, but that is why there are many options available for treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users