• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

I've known two addicts... one on prescription drugs... the other on heroin... both in what should have been in the prime of their lives... both had loving families that did everything conceivable to help... both... one male and one female are dead now from their addiction... 

I have no answers...

• GrumpyGranny, Jules, firefly1937 and 2 others like this

#42 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

My brother was addicted to heroin in the late 80's.  He would tell me where on his body he would use the needle.  I thank God he was ordered to go to drug rehab.  He has been clean ever since.  IMO, the people who get caught with the drugs should also be ordered to drug rehab, maybe that would help this unfortunate situation.

• grammy likes this

#43 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

My daughters life is hell. I don't know any of the answers that will help her but we don't need govts to make it harder for her. I guess you can't really understand how heroin affects a person and their family until it's your family . It is hell everyday to wonder if it's your daughters last day .

Bless you Grammy!! The Daily's will keep you, your daughter, & your entire family close in thought & prayer. Maybe someday your daughter will reach that lowest point & decide she no longer wants that life. After all, the addict's got to be willing to help himself / herself before they can get clean. If they don't want to, there's nothing anyone can do for them.....it's got to come from within.

We'll do our best to send good karma her way!! Hang in there, darlin'!! 😞

Rod Daily
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, firefly1937 and 2 others like this

#44 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Map of Indiana counties and reported HIV cases.

https://drive.google...Fc3c/view?pli=1

Local Zombies.

http://www.newsandtr...094a5e15ac.html

Edited by woo, 25 April 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#45 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

Our irrational war on drugs has been a complete failure. We need to take scientific and medical approach to the problem. Our drug laws have totally failed to stem the flow of drugs. Addiction and mental health issues affect most families.  If one doesn't believe this they are in a state of denial.  The profit motive must be taken out of the drug equation. That applies to the trafficking of drugs as well as the billion dollar industry that has developed to arrest, prosecute and house addicts. Add a felony to one's record and you have made it extremely difficult for the person to be fully reintegrated in society.  Our  war on drugs has led to the death, illness and arrest for generations of individuals.  Much of our gun violence and crime can be directly attributed to the trafficking, sale and the desperate seeking out of drugs. Too many in the corrections industry and courts refuse to admit this.  The primary reason of course is money.  If addiction was treated as a medical problem as opposed to a legal problem, the current law enforcement industry would collapse.  There seems to be hope.  The generation of people under the age of 30 appear much more tolerant and wilting to assist those who suffer from addiction. 

• cindiloohoo and Donna like this

#46 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I like to stereotype myself as a true conservative. As such, I believe that government should only provide for the common good in the areas of defense, education, mental and physical health. Most of our social programs have been a waste of time and talent. The programs become a self serving bureaucracy.  In today's Evening News and Tribune, Dr. Sean Avery called the Indiana Department of Health's response to the HIV crisis a monumental state failure. 

From observation, I know that the Scott County Government's response has been to put it's collective head in the sand like an Emu and ignore the problem.  A case of, if we ignore the numbers, it really is not happening.  A whole generation of our best and brightest is being affected, and it is not only confined to Scott County. Ask the Clark County Health Department about the statistics on HepC. 

This is one of the few areas where only government and an enlightened approach can solve what is going to become a national problem. When the Center for Disease Controls speaks, our government better listen. 

This is a regional problem.  It is not confined to Scott County. It is not confined to Louisville. Our politicians need to wake up because the wolf is at our door.  They need to ask the Health Department for correct statistics and begin to prepare for a real war on the effects of drugs. 

#47 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Local Zombies.

Nope. They're human beings with families that love them. They're sick and they're suffering. I don't know what you get out of calling them names but I hope you realize that it's not helping the situation at all.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, karen and 3 others like this

#48 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

Nope. They're human beings with families that love them. They're sick and they're suffering. I don't know what you get out of calling them names but I hope you realize that it's not helping the situation at all.

Remember that when they break into your property and steal your belongings to get their next fix.

• JenS likes this

#49 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

Remember that when they break into your property and steal your belongings to get their next fix.

I did.

• cindiloohoo, kelley and Donna like this

#50 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Been there and then some.

Dehumanizing humans is still wrong.
  • Jules, Donna and Persona Non Grata like this

#51 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

And I hope if this horrible thing ever comes to visit you, or anyone else you care about, that people show more compassion than you seem to be able to show...My guess is they would because once you've been touched by it you can't help but commiserate with another family going through the same thing, regardless of how you might feel about them otherwise.

Oh and just a heads up...If you ever do have to deal with something like this, the break-in's and theft will be the least of your worries and problems.

I'm not sure you could show your a**  and ignorance anymore if you tried to than with that comment.

#52 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

I've known two addicts... one on prescription drugs... the other on heroin... both in what should have been in the prime of their lives... both had loving families that did everything conceivable to help... both... one male and one female are dead now from their addiction...

I have no answers...

Sad to say... I have to add another to this list, as of this weekend...

Rest in peace cuz...

I still have no answers...
  • GrumpyGranny, Donna and grammy like this

#53 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

I'm sorry "Q"...As PNG said most of these people have families that love and care about them a great deal and who are just helpless but to watch them spiral downward regardless of their efforts...And for the few that don't that love, it's even sadder.

I also think it's the not having answers that's so incredibly frustrating...It feels after you've been through it some light bulb moment should occur and you suddenly have all the answers as to what you did right, what you did wrong, and what you could/should have done better...But, that doesn't happen...At least not in my case yet.

I think what's beginning to scare me the most is that there may not be an answer...Certainly not a one size fits all one anyway...Some will get "lucky" and find their way out of it...But, many others won't...And by luck I don't mean that someone waves a magic wand over them and they're just better or they don't have to work at it...But, they find something within themselves at the right time, with the right people, in the right place, and it clicks for them.

But, why for some and not others in similar circumstances I don't know.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, karen and 3 others like this

#54 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

Sorry for your loss, Q.

• Quasar likes this

#55 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

So sorry Q. I don't have answers either . Prayers to your family.
  • Quasar likes this

#56 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Sad to say... I have to add another to this list, as of this weekend...

Rest in peace cuz...

I still have no answers...

Damnit.

So sorry.
  • Quasar likes this

#57 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

And I hope if this horrible thing ever comes to visit you, or anyone else you care about,

Oh, it has.. If you only knew....

I'm not sure you could show your a**  and ignorance anymore if you tried to than with that comment.

I disagree... but you are entitled to your opinion. Based on you experience, no, disrespect meant.

They're sick and they're suffering. I don't know what you get out of calling them names but I hope you realize that it's not helping the situation at all.

That's  your opinion, mine differs.  Sickness to me is Cancer, MS, Dementia, Lupus... ect.

IMO. This to me is a choice.. These people CHOSE to put this toxic substance in their bodies, Not once, but over and over again. Even after they knew what it was doing to them. Humans were given a brain. They know right from wrong.  They choose this path, it is not forced on them.

I fight to keep my granddaughters Maternal Grandmother away from her every day, ( crack head @ 50+ years ) she is toxic.. I won't let my gdaughter think this is right or even normal.

I go into protection mode. She has done things to her family that are unimaginable. Her former husband and daughters. I won't allow it to enter mine. To me she is less than zero.

Give me the back lash , preach if you want.  When it comes to addiction, cigarettes, alcohol, Meth (it used to be crank ) and any other drug from the 80"s to now . Your preaching to the choir. Done it all.   I have lived, survived and thrived by MY choices.  No matter what anyone else says or does to try to help. You can throw money at it all day long, raise my taxes, give all free rehab. Unless you can physically drag them in and keep them locked up. It still won't work. Its a personal CHOICE.  

When help is so readily available. I can't muster the respect for anyone who CHOOSES to put themselves, family and friends through this. IMO, it is selfish.

I do have empathy for those family and friends who survive the ride.

Edited by TLIES, 27 April 2015 - 09:15 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar and JenS like this

#58 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

Regardless of whether or not addiction itself is a disease, all the addicts I've had to deal with over the years have not been healthy people. They ARE sick and they ARE suffering. That's not my opinion. That's just a fact.

#59 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

Because of others choices, I have to constantly repair fencing at one of my work sites.

Cant leave anything out in plain sight.

Metal theft.... $10 K worth of damage to date.

It is so bad, I have to be armed when I visit the site.

Management will not allow anyone to visit the site alone.

( Maybe that's where my opinion comes from)

• TLIES likes this

#60 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

Because of others choices, I have to constantly repair fencing at one of my work sites.
Cant leave anything out in plain sight.
Metal theft.... $10 K worth of damage to date.

It is so bad, I have to be armed when I visit the site.
Management will not allow anyone to visit the site alone.

( Maybe that's where my opinion comes from)

And calling them zombies makes it better? If that is all you are being impacted by this crisis you should consider yourself lucky. I would trade situations with you in a heartbeat.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 27 April 2015 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users