Photo

I feel another hit to my wallet coming!!

Sewer tax rates again

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

But it was Toms administration who made this deal! And now some residents suffer.
  • Kruger87 likes this

#62 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

The consent decree was negotiated under Galligan but was done forcefully by the EPA. It was either negotiate with them or they would take over. Can't blame anyone but all the mayors since 1972 that ignored the problem.

#63 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

Well since he was a 3 term mayor he shares a great majority of the blame as well.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#64 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Don't disagree with you on that point. But the EPA forced the issue. No matter who was mayor at the time, it was going to happen. But if you are looking for someone to blame then go ahead and blame Tom if it makes you feel better.

#65 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

It doesn't make me feel better at all . They all (mayors and council) failed the citizens of Jeffersonville. But we can't blame Moore for not fixing it right away , he walked into a mess. There were others before him who had plenty of time( one twelve yrs ) before they sold us out. JMO
  • IntegrityMatters, Tina, Big Bopper and 1 other like this

#66 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

It doesn't make me feel better at all . They all (mayors and council) failed the citizens of Jeffersonville. But we can't blame Moore for not fixing it right away , he walked into a mess. There were others before him who had plenty of time( one twelve yrs ) before they sold us out. JMO

I agree -- and we also can't expect that changing the guard at this time will solve anything --- just another person to blame.   

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#67 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

The council could not negotiate with the EPA if they wanted to. You like so many, don't understand the duties of the council. If I'm not mistaken the city had 15 years to comply with the consent decree, 5 have past, we still have 10 years. A lot of the requirements have been met, but it looks like the problem is with the cash flow, not the time frame. At the time the rate increases were passed it was supposed to be enough to complete all requirements. I'm not sure why there is a fund shortage, maybe the audit that was just completed will she'd some light on the problem.

#68 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

So when the decree was signed the council had no say or vote on how it would be funded? It was all left in TGs and the city attorneys hands. They alone decided how to increase the rates.

#69 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

So when the decree was signed the council had no say or vote on how it would be funded? It was all left in TGs and the city attorneys hands. They alone decided how to increase the rates.

Hey there Grammy,

I first started hearing about the EPA and this CSO problems back in 2006 when I bought my house and the flooding took place after every rain. On our wedding day we flooded so bad the entire area there was under water. When we came back from our honeymoon I attended a meeting with our lack luster councilman John Perkins. Perkins was about as useful then as he is now. I went to Meeting after Meeting that was held by the city and the guest speakers of Aschack and Jorge Lanz. The only concerns they addressed to us was the Fossil beds at the Falls, the Wildlife living at the falls and then the jet skiing up by the boat docks. I told Jorge then I could care less about all that, he never would tell us what was going on with flooding. Rob Waiz ignored the problems because he was a sore loser after losing to Galligan in the primary. Then Tom's group came in the picture and then the negotiations began with the EPA. I can't put the entire blame on Galligan for the EPA mandate, some , not all. Tom did not design the sewers here in the city that was gravity fed for a very long time. The EPA is one of the worst bunch to deal with. These are the same people who tell us we can't have the CSO's anymore but allow the water to be pumped underground to a run off in New Albany. Really we can't let water run into the Ohio from the streets but we can move it underground to a run off area? Where is the logic there. Same group that the waling bridge is shut down in the winter when it snow because of the rock salt falling into the Ohio. Then you can watch the street department clean court ave and take all the snow to river and dump it in. What is the difference?

Getting back to the topic here, Moore is only making the headlines because in 6 months there is an election and he needs to keep his job. He has not cared about it for the first 3.5 years and and if he loses he will not care about it afterward. Moore has nothing to hang his hat on this time like he did with the canal. The only accomplishment he has are the boat docks and several lawsuits with the city council. If he wins I think he will neglect the problem as well for another 3.5 years again. Moore and the Sewer board that he run's had collected enough money to fix the problem but they are greedy, they want more money so they can play the shell game and move it from one area to another. This is why Moore did now want a person by the name Diane from the sycamore advisers to do an audit on any accounts. He is quoted in the paper saying "Not Credible". All I know this has been a great hardships placed upon families with financial difficulties to make decisions like pay the gas bill or sewer bill. But food to eat on or pay the sewer bill.  It is quickly getting out of hand and needs to stop.

#70 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

WOW!!! Very well said!!!! You hit the nail on the head and this pertains to just about every candidate out there! I think you forgot just one thing in that statement, they don't prey on you or your family in a time of need and promise to fix something and then when elected they just ignore the problem. The city did nothing in the last 3.5 years to rethink this sewer problem except raise the sewer cost. Well I should not say that they did nothing, the Mayor and I believe the council, I may be wrong here, decided to shut off the water to peoples homes if they fell behind on their sewer bill. This applied to just about everyone except Rob Waiz, the RD Director, who walked in with a $50-75 plumbing bill to erase a huge sewer bill. It was a good thing it was caught in time.

I do believe that Clark County is very fortunate to have one truly ethical person holding political office.  That person is Representative Steve Stemler.

Yesterday, he was appointed to the Indiana House Ethics Committee.

http://indianahoused.../steven-stemler

I agree with the statement made by the House leader -- "It is imperative that this committee be populated by lawmakers who demonstrate a moral code that is beyond reproach....I cannot imagine any better person to fill the role....than Steve Stemler."

Note that it also says that "During the 2015 Indiana General Assembly session, Stemler authored significant ethical legislation that corrects a flaw within current state law.  House Enrolled Act (HEA)1335 allows for the removal of an elected or appointed school board member who has been convicted (or plead guilty) to a felony during their term."   The bill passed both the House and the Senant by unanimous votes and is awaiting the Governor's signature.   Hats off to Steve Stemler!!

• Donna likes this

#71 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

I do believe that Clark County is very fortunate to have one truly ethical person holding political office.  That person is Representative Steve Stemler.

Yesterday, he was appointed to the Indiana House Ethics Committee.

http://indianahoused.../steven-stemler

I agree with the statement made by the House leader -- "It is imperative that this committee be populated by lawmakers who demonstrate a moral code that is beyond reproach....I cannot imagine any better person to fill the role....than Steve Stemler."

Note that it also says that "During the 2015 Indiana General Assembly session, Stemler authored significant ethical legislation that corrects a flaw within current state law.  House Enrolled Act (HEA)1335 allows for the removal of an elected or appointed school board member who has been convicted (or plead guilty) to a felony during their term."   The bill passed both the House and the Senant by unanimous votes and is awaiting the Governor's signature.   Hats off to Steve Stemler!!

What was his stance on the Original Religious Freedom act law? As for Stemler I won't say anything bad about the guy because I do not know the person. He nor his office ever come around to our neighborhood to talk to the residents. I get his junk mailers along with the others telling us how great he is and I just toss them where they belong, the trash. Politicians have one goal get elected another term! It would be a shame if they had to work a real job and get their hands dirty with dirt, not politics!

What has good ole Steve done to help in this matter with the EPA? Could he speak with them or meet with them along with Grooms? If they cared about where they started they would defend it!!

Edited by Kruger87, 24 April 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#72 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

What was his stance on the Original Religious Freedom act law? As for Stemler I won't say anything bad about the guy because I do not know the person. He nor his office ever come around to our neighborhood to talk to the residents. I get his junk mailers along with the others telling us how great he is and I just toss them where they belong, the trash. Politicians have one goal get elected another term! It would be a shame if they had to work a real job and get their hands dirty with dirt, not politics!

What has good ole Steve done to help in this matter with the EPA? Could he speak with them or meet with them along with Grooms? If they cared about where they started they would defend it!!

Better watch it there Mr. Kruger.

You are treading on Hallowed Ground.

• Kruger87 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users