Photo

I feel another hit to my wallet coming!!

Sewer tax rates again

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Here is the Link:

http://www.newsandtr...ff0bf4f2ca.html

I saw this in the paper today and I was wondering why it was not financed for a longer period of time? I understand at the time in the last administration when they negotiated this agreement but did the elected officials have the best interest of the residents at heart when they did this? Then this current one is just as bad as the last one. For the first two years they did not care about it until the end of the third year and now its election time!! Also I have seen a few things done with this money like a Tenth Street Pump station that smells so bad speeding should be allowed at this intersection, a new treatment plant in the east side of town to take care of the annexation area. What about this big interceptor project that JTL is involved in? When will we ever see our Sewer tax money at work there? The city forced out several of my neighbors for the rights to that property to put this line through and still 5 years later nothing to show for it? Whats up with JTL? Did they lose a T-Square? 

Then how about all the nice new trucks I see the sewer department and other departments driving around the city in? How were these paid for? I have not seen a "Suck Truck" in my neighborhood in 3.5 years. Yet we flood the most because to quote Jorge Lanz from JTL, you are at the bottom of the bowl. Then there were residents who could barely afford the old rates living off fixed incomes, like a lot of our seniors forced with the decision, do I pay the sewer bill or do I buy food or pay for heat this month? These were not questions taken into consideration for anyone who is forced with these decisions. Now if you fall behind on your sewer bill they have the right to shut off your water. Only in Jeffersonville!!

Maybe it is time for an audit to be done on a lot of accounts there in the city. Out of all these firms involved in this process I would like to see how many are donating money to certain Political races that are getting ready to gear up. Then I wonder how many have made donations under the table to certain leaders of this City. Do we ever see and end to this madness!! I don't!!

• JenS likes this

#2 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

Might want to actually read the article.

The current administration is trying to LOWER sewer bills by renegotiating the consent decree.

• JenS likes this

#3 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

I did read the article there Woo. My question is that when this was negotiated why did they try and fix it all in one shot? I worked in other cities were this EPA mandate with CSO's were a problem and theses cities never had to impose sewer taxes to pay for them all. Also look back at the date and time it all started, it was the same time they were throwing the Stimulus money around. Why didn't we try to get some funding for this through that? We the residents are paying for a problem in a sewer system designed back in the early 1900's. What happens if the EPA says no, you agreed to it so do it or we will start fining you? Who pays the fines, that's right the tax payers again!

Would they working this hard if it was not an election time? When Moore ran against Galigan he had only bullet to fire in the election campaign, the Canal. Now there is no canal to discuss with his opponent this time. Sorry NSBHM, its true, the canal is dead. What will be his stance this time? Moore like the others all promised to fix the downtown flooding problems. Also like the others they all were believing the hype thrown out by JTL and the magic drafting table that showed they could get problem resolved. A discussion of a park with a pond in it hold the water from the flooding was talked about. When the question was asked if there was contamination into the water is there money budgeted in the clean up for the pond. The good folks at JTL stated there would be contamination in it. Would they back that up with the cost of the clean up if it was to get contaminated?

Woo the bottom line here is simple we need an audit done on the sewer department and the RD department. It is not to discredit anyone or any department but as a tax payer who keeps paying these bills I want to see something for my money. I want to see first hand where the money has gone I want to know where the dollar is being spent and who is getting that dollar. If we can get this audit done on these two departments to start off with it might shed some light on the problem. Are these two departments afraid of an audit? If an audit was done by an agency outside the city would the mayor call them a "Non Credible Agency"? I want to know!

• JenS likes this

#4 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

We have had a deluge of rain this month.  Has your area flooded? 

Has there been improvements made, to alleviate some of the problems, in that area?

Are their more improvements on the horizon to cure the downtown town flooding?

#5 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

What I took from this, is that the Canal was really a good idea and a cheap way to handle it. 

#6 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:44 PM

But Moore can never admit it.

• Kruger87 likes this

#7 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

What I took from this, is that the Canal was really a good idea and a cheap way to handle it. 

70 million was cheap?

#8 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

70 million was cheap?

From my understanding, the canal was never part of the consent decree.

The canal was not designed to alleviate the flooding.  I have heard that if they had built the large retention pond

it would be a POO Pond.  Imagine a canal with the flooding going into it.

They could rewrite Andy Williams big hit and record a lovely ballad.  POO RIVER !

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Kruger87 and 2 others like this

#9 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

This is the best solution to the sewage problem that I have seen.

http://www.wdrb.com/...-beer-in-oregon

#10 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

But Moore can never admit it.

Why should he ?  Enough people in the city did not want it.   I voted for him to stop it.  Before the money was spent.   That's one reason he was elected.

It may have been a good idea in some's opinion. Not mine.

Edited by TLIES, 20 April 2015 - 01:12 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, snowman, grammy and 1 other like this

#11 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

This is the best solution to the sewage problem that I have seen.

http://www.wdrb.com/...-beer-in-oregon

Some of you complained about the treated sewer water running through the proposed canal and here is a community drinking the same water. And they say it is good! Once again other communities advance while Jeffersonville lags behind.

#12 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Why should he ?  Enough people in the city did not want it.   I voted for him to stop it.  Before the money was spent.   That's one reason he was elected.

It may have been a good idea in some's opinion. Not mine.

Some voted for Moore as a way to protest the canal, some as a way to protest the annexation, and others just to protest Galligan. Moore was elected on the anti vote. The canal has been stopped, Galligan is gone,and it looks like no one has successfully contested the annexation in court so it is here to stay. It will be interesting to see how all the anti voters vote in this election.

#13 Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Might want to actually read the article.
The current administration is trying to LOWER sewer bills by renegotiating the consent decree.

When the sewer rates were increased I asked if they would be lowered after 30 years when all the bonds are repaid. The answer was no. I was told the EPA has more demands for Jeffersonville, and sewer rates will not decrease for 90 years. I wish anyone good luck on lowering the rates,they are only fooling themselves.
  • Kruger87 likes this

#14 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Some of you complained about the treated sewer water running through the proposed canal and here is a community drinking the same water. And they say it is good! Once again other communities advance while Jeffersonville lags behind.

. I'm glad I don't drink beer. Lol .

Edited by grammy, 20 April 2015 - 06:37 PM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

Drink some and report back.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Kruger87 and 2 others like this

#16 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Moore may have been elected on the "anti-vote" as you say Mike, but aren't most politicians?   People become dissatisfied with the current person in office for one reason or another and they vote for someone else thinking the grass will be greener.  Sometimes it is -- sometimes it isn't.   That's politics.

• GrumpyGranny and grammy like this

#17 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

Some voted for Moore as a way to protest the canal, some as a way to protest the annexation, and others just to protest Galligan. 

I was 3 good reasons for me !        :shifty:

• grammy likes this

#18 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

We have had a deluge of rain this month.  Has your area flooded? 

Has there been improvements made, to alleviate some of the problems, in that area?

Are their more improvements on the horizon to cure the downtown town flooding?

Hey BB sorry for the delay in an answer. Yes we have flooded there in our area. Water has gotten up to the my steps again. The improvements made under the last administration are helping a little bit for my neighbor across the street. Now the water does not come into his basement like a waterfalls. A lot of the problems are these sewers just can not handle the flow.  As for future improvements your guess is as good as ours. The city tells us nothing. When Galligan was here we would see him drive around in his Chrysler 300 and see the water. I see our councilman out all the time when it rains and he checks in on the neighbors as well to make sure everything is ok. As for Moore, I have never seen him down here in a rain storm. He may have driven by and I was not outside and seen him. All I know is when the new downtown bridge opens up I wonder were that water will run off to?

#19 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

From my understanding, the canal was never part of the consent decree.

The canal was not designed to alleviate the flooding.  I have heard that if they had built the large retention pond

it would be a POO Pond.  Imagine a canal with the flooding going into it.

They could rewrite Andy Williams big hit and record a lovely ballad.  POO RIVER !

You are correct BB and we were calling the pond a lagoon for the longest time when Tom was in office. Moore wanted to do the same thing with the interceptor line as well. His plans were to connect the interceptor line to it and when it got too full they could release it through they system and let it drain out into the Ohio. We would still have the Poo problem there. When I asked him about the problems with the Mosquito's and West Nile virus and about the budget to clean out the pond when it is contaminated he gave me the look like I was bothering him.

The funny thing is that we want to build something that will hold the storm water long enough to be in agreement with the EPA and in the meantime we have an empty plant behind the old Colgate plant that could hold water long enough to meet the requirements. Instead of having an eyesore that sits there dormant we could have a use for this.

#20 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

You are correct BB and we were calling the pond a lagoon for the longest time when Tom was in office. Moore wanted to do the same thing with the interceptor line as well. His plans were to connect the interceptor line to it and when it got too full they could release it through they system and let it drain out into the Ohio. We would still have the Poo problem there. When I asked him about the problems with the Mosquito's and West Nile virus and about the budget to clean out the pond when it is contaminated he gave me the look like I was bothering him.

The funny thing is that we want to build something that will hold the storm water long enough to be in agreement with the EPA and in the meantime we have an empty plant behind the old Colgate plant that could hold water long enough to meet the requirements. Instead of having an eyesore that sits there dormant we could have a use for this.

The old Colgate sewer plant is in Clarksville.  Maybe someone should check into purchasing it for Jeffersonville's needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users