I think that's common.

#22 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

You can appeal your property taxes! Most people are not aware of this!

And sometimes it works for your favor.  Ours was reduced based on an appeal that we filed on the advice of a very competent and knowledgeable person that frequents this board.

• LetsBeHonest and Bigfoot like this

#23 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

Unless you don't own property, I'd be finding out why..... That could be a nasty situation in a few more years.  

Every property in my subdivision that is owner occupied has had a zero property tax bill for 2013, 2014, and 2015.  Onlly the renter-occupied properties have tax bills.  Back in 2013 I called the Treasurer's office to confirm that it wasn't a mistake and was told that the zero bill was correct. 

#24 GOB

GOB

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

Every property in my subdivision that is owner occupied has had a zero property tax bill for 2013, 2014, and 2015.  Onlly the renter-occupied properties have tax bills.  Back in 2013 I called the Treasurer's office to confirm that it wasn't a mistake and was told that the zero bill was correct. 

What subdivision?

• kelley likes this

#25 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

What subdivision?

Village at Armstrong Farms.  Go to this site: http://www.in.gov/dlgf/4929.htm and for Clark County in 2015, look up the streets Haystack Dr, Hay Market Dr, Shepherds Run, Red Barn Loop, and Wheatfield Blvd and you will see just a few properties with tax nonzero tax bills.  A couple of those I know to be renter-occupied so that is my assumption about the rest as well.

#26 FatToes

FatToes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

We have to pay property taxes to have our Goverment services.

#27 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

We have to pay property taxes to have our Goverment services.

Oh gee, I had no idea.........
  • Bigfoot likes this

#28 Manny12

Manny12

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Good one Jiyabird. Lol

#29 EasternJeffResident

EasternJeffResident

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Ours have risen from $116K to $181.5K between 2009 and the one we just got, dated 5/26/2015. How's that for a bit of an increase? We called and asked them why it was so high a few years ago, and it dropped when they discovered we didn't have a finished basement, then it went back up. This year they left a door tag stating we apparently had a finished basement and I called as requested and explained we STILL don't have a finished basement (and invited them back to come look for their own danged selves), and they promised they'd take care of it, but it went up again. I'd appeal but i'm sure I'd just get on the list of 'get it next year'. We're marked as C+1 and C+2 on our house, so there's a 105% and 110% 'upcharge' for our efforts. We must have the 2nd nicest house in our subdivision based on the property report cards at GIS.

#30 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

For those of you concerned about your property taxes, be sure to follow the Schools and Education forum about the upcoming $119 million referendum which could raise your taxes above the 1% cap.

• kelley, karen and Donna like this

#31 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Ours have risen from $116K to $181.5K between 2009 and the one we just got, dated 5/26/2015. How's that for a bit of an increase? We called and asked them why it was so high a few years ago, and it dropped when they discovered we didn't have a finished basement, then it went back up. This year they left a door tag stating we apparently had a finished basement and I called as requested and explained we STILL don't have a finished basement (and invited them back to come look for their own danged selves), and they promised they'd take care of it, but it went up again. I'd appeal but i'm sure I'd just get on the list of 'get it next year'. We're marked as C+1 and C+2 on our house, so there's a 105% and 110% 'upcharge' for our efforts. We must have the 2nd nicest house in our subdivision based on the property report cards at GIS.

C+1 and C+2 grade just means that architecturally yours has something the average house doesn't.

If you are a B, that would jump you even higher.

Many of the newer constructed homes with dormers, extra angles, and multiple roof pitches get taxed more because they are considered higher grade.  Something to consider before building a home with fancy exterior features that don't really add much to the space inside.  A simple square/rectangle house, even if brand new construction, will be taxed less than the standard new house today.

http://www.in.gov/dl...orFactSheet.pdf

EJR, I would file the correction form at least.  You can take pictures down to the courthouse and show them it is indeed unfinished.  They had my old house as a finished basement, but accepted pictures that no, in fact, it wasn't.  It's not considered an appeal to correct their error.  I would not do this over the phone though, you need to file the form 133.

This link will take you to a downloadable form:

https://forms.in.gov/download.aspx?id=4728

Edited by Tina, 15 June 2015 - 02:54 PM.

• Donna and woo like this

#32 John Croucher

John Croucher

Tourist

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Our property taxes are a direct reflection of the request we as tax payers make on our elected official.  Each request to fund a project, utilize resources for purposes not intended, create a new program, create a new agency, build a park, install bike racks or subsidize a special interest has to be paid for.  Each time someone or group attends a meeting to plead their case for funding, they are asking for tax dollars.  Blaming any one specific government agency or program for increase assessments is not the problem. It is all the varous programs, building  and emotional driven programs requested by special interest or passed down byt elected State and Federal officials.  The next time you or a group you belong to wants the goverment to underwrite your cause, remember it has to be paid for.  These cost are directly related to our taxes we pay.

It would be nice if government stuck to what government is suppose to do and not spend our tax dollars on emotion driven projects.  Before we complain about our tax liabilities we should first stop and review what we/you/or I have ask our politicians to spend our money on.  One tax payers pet project may be anothers disdain. 

Personally, a higher assessed value on my properties makes my bottom line look better.  It inflates the value of my assets.  Which is much better than everyones property values being devalued of deflated.  That would indicate that the economy is suffering and retracting.  If someone does not like that their property taxes or taxes increase, they should devote time and attention asking for a reduction in governemt funded projects.  Increasing our Governments obligations means increasing tax revenue.  Be careful what you ask for, it will ultimately cost you and me. 

• Tina likes this

#33 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

For those of you concerned about your property taxes, be sure to follow the Schools and Education forum about the upcoming $119 million referendum which could raise your taxes above the 1% cap.

If this referendum passes everyone, and I mean everyone, will get a tax increase. 

Mr. Melon loves to spend your money.

Say good bye to our neighborhood schools.

Edited by Big Bopper, 15 June 2015 - 03:15 PM.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, karen and 1 other like this

#34 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Are there any deductions for Storm / Tornado shelters?

I have a feeling that's why my assessment went up.

( They found my bunker )

#35 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Our property taxes are a direct reflection of the request we as tax payers make on our elected official.  Each request to fund a project, utilize resources for purposes not intended, create a new program, create a new agency, build a park, install bike racks or subsidize a special interest has to be paid for.  Each time someone or group attends a meeting to plead their case for funding, they are asking for tax dollars.  Blaming any one specific government agency or program for increase assessments is not the problem. It is all the varous programs, building  and emotional driven programs requested by special interest or passed down byt elected State and Federal officials.  The next time you or a group you belong to wants the goverment to underwrite your cause, remember it has to be paid for.  These cost are directly related to our taxes we pay.

It would be nice if government stuck to what government is suppose to do and not spend our tax dollars on emotion driven projects.  Before we complain about our tax liabilities we should first stop and review what we/you/or I have ask our politicians to spend our money on.  One tax payers pet project may be anothers disdain. 

Personally, a higher assessed value on my properties makes my bottom line look better.  It inflates the value of my assets.  Which is much better than everyones property values being devalued of deflated.  That would indicate that the economy is suffering and retracting.  If someone does not like that their property taxes or taxes increase, they should devote time and attention asking for a reduction in governemt funded projects.  Increasing our Governments obligations means increasing tax revenue.  Be careful what you ask for, it will ultimately cost you and me.

High words...want to pay mine?

#36 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

In theory, assessed value (which determines property taxes) and appraised value (which determines how much your property is actually worth) should rise and fall together at the same rate.  If this is true, then you are getting the benefit of increased property value as a trade off for your higher tax bill.  If your assessed value is going up but your appraised value isn't, then you are paying more taxes without any benefits in return.

• Tina likes this

#37 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have a question for the chatter community that pertains to the property taxes especially the caculation of assessed value.

Background:
We purchased a home in Covered Bridge for $375k in January 2015 with a current assessed vale of $271k. We just received our new assessment and lo and behold it went up to $375k, or an increase of 38%.

While I totally understand the calculation of the new assessed value, none of my immediate neighbors 2-3 houses in either direction have seen such a drastic increase and there assessed values are still in the $240k-300k range. I guess my biggest complaint is that my neighbors, who have very similar market valued houses are not seeing the same increase as my house. If the system is truly based on make value, shouldn't similar houses have the same assessed values?
  • jiyabird likes this

#38 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

I have a question for the chatter community that pertains to the property taxes especially the caculation of assessed value.

Background:
We purchased a home in Covered Bridge for $375k in January 2015 with a current assessed vale of $271k. We just received our new assessment and lo and behold it went up to $375k, or an increase of 38%.

While I totally understand the calculation of the new assessed value, none of my immediate neighbors 2-3 houses in either direction have seen such a drastic increase and there assessed values are still in the $240k-300k range. I guess my biggest complaint is that my neighbors, who have very similar market valued houses are not seeing the same increase as my house. If the system is truly based on make value, shouldn't similar houses have the same assessed values?

Yes.

Also, the state tax court does not look kindly on assessors "chasing" sales. 

If you want to message me your address I will take a look at this.  Not just as a tax rep, but also as someone running to be your town council representative.

• Egghead and Donna like this

#39 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Background:

Egghead...you have the very same concern as I, although I purchased my home in 2004 and all my improvements were made at that time. There have only been minor since.
It would be hard to compare houses around me but I want someone to explain how an increased assessment to me of nearly $60,000 in 2 years is justified....and I am going to get it!
Around me, nothing has sold comparable or of more value than mine
The house next door changed hands but stayed within the family. I have no idea of the financial circumstances of that situation and if it would have an effect on me since that house is not as large as mine anyway.
If I understand correctly, what the city has done/is doing should not warrant the increase in MY taxes. Surrounding homes with improvements that are internal are not counted in computing property taxes
We only have 45 days from the receipt of that paper to appeal by the way.
  • Egghead likes this

#40 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

This may help everyone:

http://www.taxhatche...on1214-proptax/

A 5%+ assessment increase is “aberrational” where the property has not substantially changed year-to-year, so the Assessor carries the burden of proof. I have previously posted about Indiana’s adoption of a burden-shifting statute in property tax appeals.  See, for example, my discussions Here: http://www.taxhatche...th-caution-xiv/ and here: http://www.taxhatche...op-tax-appeals/.  Why did the Indiana General Assembly create this rule?  The answer (according to the Indiana Board of Tax Review):  Because the assessor should lose the presumption that her “aberrational” assessment is correct.

The Board interprets the statute as a recognition by the Legislature that an increase in assessed valuation in excess of 5% from one year to the next, under typical market conditions, is aberrational. Consequently, under such circumstances, the assessor should lose the presumption that the assessment is correct. Similarly, the Legislature has recognized that an increase in an assessment in excess of 5% would not necessarily be aberrational if there were substantial changes in the property that were not considered in the prior year and, under such circumstances, the assessor should retain the presumption that the assessment is correct.

And I suppose I should remind everyone that I am a certified tax rep and can help you file the appeal if you need help!

Edited by Tina, 18 June 2015 - 04:29 PM.

• kelley and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users