4 replies to this topic

#1 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

It came to my attention yesterday that two years ago, someone with a Facebook profile of "Nancy Willenborg" claimed to be Tara's mother, requested money and apparently set up a GoFundMe account. We don't know if they raised any money as the page is now down.

Colleen found it yesterday while bored and googling her own last name. At first, she just saw someone on FB with the same last name and Tara as their profile picture and sent them a friend request. Then she saw the claim about being Tara's mother and the GoFundMe link. She tried to share it, but the friend request must have alerted the person that created it as she couldn't share it and can no longer access the page. We do have a screen capture that it existed.

If anyone sent money to such a fund - to my knowledge no web payment sources were used in legit efforts to help - please let me know.

I've left a message for Jamey asking for guidance as I don't even know who in law enforcement to talk to or if there's anyway of tracking the individual down.

I am in communication with gofundme and have sent them the screen capture.

If anyone knows anything else helpful, please get in touch.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

I am so sorry, Kelley. It would take a real low life to do something like this; to make money on your heartbreak. I hope you and the authorities can get this gal and prosecute her for her actions.

• Cheryl L Ross, Tina and Donna like this

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

I am so sorry, Kelley. It would take a real low life to do something like this; to make money on your heartbreak. I hope you and the authorities can get this gal and prosecute her for her actions.

Thanks.

Don't know for sure it's a gal. Could be anyone. Though, sad as it is, a particular gal came to mind. If it was a sickness thing rather than just a money thing...
  • GrumpyGranny and Cheryl L Ross like this

#4 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

I read about this on your facebook page last night. I didn't comment then because I was angry and knew better than to type words that I might later regret. *BUT* the first thought that came to my mind was the "particular gal" that also came to your mind.

How could anyone be so heartless as to do something like this?

I hope you are able to find the source of this fraud but I know it's fruitless to ask for help from facebook.

Angry, angry!

• kelley likes this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

Update: just heard back from law enforcement. They followed things as far as they could and it doesn't look like any money was collected. The IP address used appears to be out of Minneapolis, so it also doesn't seem this was personal, just plain old greed. Thanks to the Clark County Sheriff's Department for being aggressive and efficient in looking in to it. It still sucks someone did this, but it's good to know no one was bilked and to have some reassurance it probably wasn't someone with creepier intentions.

Edited by kelley, 28 April 2015 - 05:02 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, HopingforMiracles and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users