20 replies to this topic

#1 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

So Emery Crossing Road has been closed.  The reason given, erosion and road collapse again.  I looked and looked over the site.  Saw very little new erosion and nothing even close to the road.

Could there be an ulterior motive to this closure?

Also appears the town has pushed the flood debris back into the river, just as Louisville did, which, BTW is Illegal.

#2 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

I think we ought to close that section to automobile traffic permanently. Then we should continue, according to Google maps, Miller Rd. over to Sames Rd. Same access. No erosion problems for a very long time.

#3 Bradley Cummings

Bradley Cummings

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

Woodslover,

Emery Crossing is closed due to erosion and road failure. 

The area of concerns begins at the west side of the bridge and proceeds west down Emery Crossing for approximately 275’. We currently have a bank failure of approximately 12’ by 18’ which is within 12’ of Emery Crossing along with identifying an additional 6 potential bank failures sites. The Concerns that we have with Emery Crossing is the close proximity of the bank failure to the road and the road failure. To the untrained eye, Emery Crossing would appear just like any other road that we travel on everyday but it’s simply not the case. We have what is called alligator cracking (an area of cracks that resemble the pattern on the back of an alligator which is cause by base failure), asphalt settlement (is a vertical distortion from the pavement which is another sign of base failure) and some minor shoulder trenching on Emery Crossing that is in line with the bank failure. Individually, these failures are somewhat common and wouldn't result in a road closure but combine the two within their close proximity of each other and we now have a potentially dangerous location and the responsibility of protecting the Towns investment in Emery Crossing. Once engineering test are complete and or the road is deemed to be secure for traffic we will re-open the road.

The clean-up of the area was a joint effort by the Clarksville Parks Department and Clarksville Street Department. All debris that we could get to with equipment without getting stuck was brought to the road and hauled to the Clark Floyd Landfill. The debris was co-mingled with trash and couldn’t be recycled and was definitely not pushed back in to the river.

If you have other concerns please feel free to give me a call or send me an email.

Thank you,

Bradley Cummings

Clarksville Street Commissioner

812-283-8233 ext. 111

bcummings@townofclarksville.com

• GrumpyGranny, technology overloaded, Bigfoot and 3 others like this

#4 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

I heard Gilkey wants to close it permanently. That's fine, but they better come up with a new route out of the west end of town. During the hurricane winds in 07' there were numerous power lines down along Harrison Ave, we had to move trees from the roadway on Emery, but we got home. With no other way out down here, other than Emery, there needs to be a plan before we just start saying "close it". (my comments aren't directed at the emergency closure of the road, I understand the need for that, just saying maybe somebody needs to start looking at other options).

• kelley likes this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

You're right. There are dead end streets - Emily, Falls View, Hills - and streets west of them that wouldn't have another way out depending on where Harrison was blocked.

Besides the safety issue, as someone who doesn't do change well, I hate to see it close.

I'm not sure of the solution though. That one area has caved in repeatedly.

#6 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

If you look at Google maps there is a roadway that runs parallel with the river part of Emery Xing. It borders the wooded area to the north. If that road were made to continue along the woodline and meet up with, I think, Miller on the other side then that would provide the same access but it will sit far enough north of the river for our grandchildren's grandchildren not to have to worry about erosion.

#7 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

Are you talking about the road that comes down over the hill?

#8 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

It will be easier for me to explain what I mean if I can draw a line on a map and post it here. If you come down Emery Xing past Marshal's to their second lot and turn left on that road, I think it's Sanes? Where that road does a 90 degree turn make it go straight and meet up with the little road on the other side of the woods.

#9 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

I think that's private. Goes back to a quarry or something.

It's Sames that runs back there. Maybe could be done. Much of that area is flood wall, wetland, or otherwise unsuitable for building a road though.

Edited by kelley, 10 April 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#10 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

And an eroding bank is good too? Roads are built through flood walls all the time.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 10 April 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#11 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

It's sorta swamp then floodwall then creek back there.

I was stunned when looking at the area on eGIS how much shows up as town land. Did they buy up all the area on the hill where the fish processing place was too, or am I looking at the map wrong (entirely possible; I comprehend words better than pictures).

#12 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

I haven't looked on eGIS. The only other option I can see is to tell the Feds to stick it where the sun don't shine and do whatever is necessary to shore up that bank. If that means building a concrete wall at the edge of the river and filling it up level with the road then so be it. I just think extending that existing roadway might be less expensive in the long run.

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

You're reading the map right, Kelley.

I'd hate to see this road closed permanently. We use(d) it regularly...the scenic route home from Kroger...

• kelley and littletommy like this

#14 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

I haven't looked on eGIS. The only other option I can see is to tell the Feds to stick it where the sun don't shine and do whatever is necessary to shore up that bank. If that means building a concrete wall at the edge of the river and filling it up level with the road then so be it. I just think extending that existing roadway might be less expensive in the long run.

The newspaper article made it sound like they'd let the town fix it - on their own huge dime.

#15 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, from what I gathered at the meeting that land is owned by the Feds.

#16 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

I think it's ACOE that has the say in what is done to the river bank itself, but yes, the town does own a lot of that land around the boat ramp area, and across the road from it. Clarksville owns the houses and surrounding property on the hilltop, and also owns the field on the North East side of the bridge, where the split rail fence is. All of that property around there is where the original town existed, and there are hopes that sometime in the future that will be a large park.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#17 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

Here is what I was thinking. The yellow would be new roadway. The blue would be made to handle two lane traffic if it doesn't already do that. The red would be closed to automobiles. What do you think?

Attached Files

#18 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Get an estimate for an elevated roadway the necessary length to negotiate the creek basin, research the issues with driving on or through a floodwall and get back with us. I'll donate another $50 when you're done. Oh, and the details involved with acquiring the needed property.

Edited by kelley, 11 April 2015 - 12:33 PM.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#19 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

Well, the flood wall already has a road on it. I imagine it's no different than any other elevated roadway. New Albany's floodwall handles train traffic. . You do not have to put a hole in the flood wall. Just build a ramp up to it to connect with the road that's already on top of it. You could even start at the existing road grade at the beginning of the yellow section and go up slowly from there until it meets the floodwall. Any creeks or waterways it goes over can be handled with culverts. Right now, we are spending money on core sample drillings and archeological digs in order to determine what we can do to fix that section of Emery Crossing or even if we can fix it. I say that the road is always going to need fixing unless a very expensive permanent solution is put in place such as building retaining walls. Why not invest that money to build a road that we will never have that problem with? Just one mans opinion though. As soon as I have the authority to gather quotes in the name of the citizens of Clarksville I will be more than happy to post them here.  :smile:

#20 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

I don't like change orders Kelley. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users