32 replies to this topic

#1 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

When I opened tonight's paper, I was dumbfounded to read the article about Sheriff Noel appointing Councilman Matt Owen to the Sheriff's Merit Board.  Owen works for Noel at the New Chapel EMS and has for quite awhile.   This is a gross example of a conflict of interest.  But what is even worse is that both Noel and Owen apparently can't see it!! 

Noel said, "The bottom line is, it's a Republican appointment...... Matt's a Republican, and it's my choice.  I'm within statutes to do it, and that's my pleasure.  I don't feel there's any conflict at all."   

Owen echoed Noel's sentiment that the business relationship between the two would not create a conflict of interest."

My goodness, do neither of them know what a "conflict of interest is"??   Or do they just not care?   After all, Noel said, "it's my choice".  Basically, the rest of us can go to you know where.   How arrogant!

This is another sad day for Clark County.   No wonder we are the laughing stock of the State.   

:no:

(I couldn't get the link to the article to post -- perhaps someone else can post it.  Thanks)

• GrumpyGranny and downtowner like this

#2 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

http://www.newsandtr...3a8fc88a14.html

Owen, a Republican and At-large member of the Jeffersonville City Council, works for New Chapel EMS as a marketing representative. Noel is the president and CEO of the nonprofit organization.

“There’s a conflict of interest right out the wazoo because Jamey Noel’s paying him, so he’s going to do whatever Jamey Noel tells him to do,” Galligan said. “I don’t think that’s what a merit board’s supposed to be about.”

Marketing representative?

(That's funny...)

• IntegrityMatters and GrumpyGranny like this

#3 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

marketing representative?  How do you market EMS service? Do you chase accidents and ask the victims if they need a ride to the hospital?

#4 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

I wonder what being a lapdog marketing representative pays?

• CityBoy and downtowner like this

#5 Fact Checker

Fact Checker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

I am sick of Galligan whining about what the GOP is doing and he can't get his way.  He better pay attention to the Clark County Dems who are clueless about what is going on. Noel is accountable to the electorate and he won and Galligan's guy didn't.  Maybe he should ask for advice from Mike Marshall on what to do.  Hope the Dems never replace ole Tommy as their chair.  Please don't

#6 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

As far as I am concerned -- this isn't about party.  It's about doing the right thing.  Period.   And when a conflict of interest exists (which it clearly does), I would think the new Sheriff would want to avoid any perception of a conflict.   Matt is a fine young man and I applaud him for being involved (I voted for him!) -- we need more young people in politics. But  I just don't see how neither Noel nor Matt cannot see that a clear conflict of interest exists in this appointment.   Matt has a full-time job working directly for Noel at the New Chapel EMS.  He is also on the City Council and active in the Republican party and was Noel's campaign manager.   While those who know Matt believe that he will speak his mind and do the right thing, there will always be the underlying perception that he was doing as he was instructed by Noel.  There will always be doubt.    This is just not the right appointment for someone who works directly for the sheriff.  The merit board needs people who are independent and have no direct ties to the sheriff. 

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 03 April 2015 - 08:37 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Donna, Sleepy and 2 others like this

#7 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

As far as I am concerned -- this isn't about party.  It's about doing the right thing.  Period.   And when a conflict of interest exists (which it clearly does), I would think the new Sheriff would want to avoid any perception of a conflict.   Matt is a fine young man and I applaud him for being involved (I voted for him!) -- we need more young people in politics. But  I just don't see how neither Noel nor Matt cannot see that a clear conflict of interest exists in this appointment.   Matt has a full-time job working directly for Noel at the New Chapel EMS.  He is also on the City Council and active in the Republican party and was Noel's campaign manager.   While those who know Matt believe that he will speak his mind and do the right thing, there will always be the underlying perception that he was doing as he was instructed by Noel.  There will always be doubt.    This is just not the right appointment for someone who works directly for the sheriff.  The merit board needs people who are independent and have no direct ties to the sheriff.

Let's look at this from the Sheriff's perspective and forget the names.
The Sheriff has 3 appointments. He will naturally choose those that he knows.
He or she would want appointees that he has faith in.
The rank and file will choose people that they trust and have faith in.
What is the big deal. As far as Mr. Galligan's opinion goes, his opinion and a dollar will
Get you a sweet tea at McDonalds. When it comes to ethics, I agree with Fact Checker, maybe he can check with
Mike Marshal. Galligan wouldn't know what ethical was if it jumped up and bit him on the Butt!
  • grammy likes this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

I agree with IM.  To name one of your (Noel) employees to the Clark County Sheriff's Merit Board is a problem.  I like Matt, find him to be very earnest, but this isn't right.  Don't have a problem with "naturally choose those that he knows" so long as it's not an employee.  Easy to "trust and have faith in" those who's livelihood you control.  But, apparently, ethics is a partisan issue.

• GrumpyGranny, Sleepy and downtowner like this

#9 downtowner

downtowner

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Clearly a conflict of interest and a big mistake from Noel.
  • Sleepy likes this

#10 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

Let's look at this from the Sheriff's perspective and forget the names.
The Sheriff has 3 appointments. He will naturally choose those that he knows.
He or she would want appointees that he has faith in.
The rank and file will choose people that they trust and have faith in.
What is the big deal. As far as Mr. Galligan's opinion goes, his opinion and a dollar will
Get you a sweet tea at McDonalds. When it comes to ethics, I agree with Fact Checker, maybe he can check with
Mike Marshal. Galligan wouldn't know what ethical was if it jumped up and bit him on the Butt!

Bopper -- the "big deal" is that we thought things would be different and ethics would now matter with the newly elected.   While you may think that Galligan lacked "ethics", that should not be an excuse for others to follow suit.   Let's clean up Clark County politics ---- conflicts of interest (like this one) should be avoided if we want to gain (or regain) the public's trust. 

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 04 April 2015 - 08:33 AM.

• Sleepy and JenS like this

#11 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

I'm having trouble understanding the conflict. It's assumed the person appointed answers to the person that appointed them to some extent. If Matt is essentially and openly representing Jamey on the board anyway, where is the conflict?

Edited by kelley, 04 April 2015 - 09:07 AM.

• Oldgoat and grammy like this

#12 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

The conflict exists because Matt is an employee of Jamey's.  There is a possibility that his impartiality could be undermined because of his self-interest (that of pleasing his boss and retaining his job) versus the public's interest in a merit board case where he may be faced with disagreeing with Jamey. 

A conflict exists when a person's responsibility to a second person limits his/her ability to discharge his/her responsibility to a third party. 

#13 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

It just seems the responsibility to the second party is a given in board appointments.

#14 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

No ethics in politics
  • IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#15 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

No ethics in politics

We have a winner, close the thread !  

#16 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

No ethics in politics

Disagree, you seem to be painting everyone with one brush stroke

#17 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

....avoid perception of a conflict of interest.....this is the key. Some say there is no conflict, some say there is, but many will perceive there to be potential for a conflict.....and that is why it should have been avoided!  Appointing someone else that is not an employee or relative would have been a better choice.

• IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#18 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

To the victor...go the spoils.

• Oldgoat likes this

#19 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

The merit board has always been a pawn of the existing sheriff. I am certain Sheriff Parker, Becher, and Rodden never appointed anyone that they could not control. It is tough controlling the personalities that exist in any county police department.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#20 Glad I came

Glad I came

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

I understand from employees that this is not the only questionable thing that has happened down there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users