Photo

HELP? Dryer too deep for laundry room space. Too late to return.

Poor engineering

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

In early February I purchased a matching Maytag washer and dryer.  The date of delivery the guys couldn't get the dryer to fit and still close the door to the back porch.  They thought, as did I, if I simply moved the washer and dryer down about 7-9 inches I would be ok.  So..I spent about $700.00 on a new utility sink and installation of a new sink base cabinet.  Over the weekend we attempted to install the dryer but ...as fate would have it it appears there is still about an inch or two needed to get the door to open and shut.  Interestingly when we attempted to install the dryer we found out that the internal hose was not connected to anything so I have to wait until Maytag comes tomorrow to "fix" a dryer that has never been used and see if there is any possibility that the periscoping vent I purchased for close spaces will possibly work.  Anyone out here have any ideas on what I can do if that doesn't work?  The dryer is vented to the outside wall and the exterior of my house is brick. I am pretty darn desperate. 

#2 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Pickle, I don't know much about this sort of thing but can you recess the venting into the space between the studs and then run it out through the existing vent?

newconst.jpg

• Little Pickle likes this

#3 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Hounddog, maybe.  It would probably be my luck there would be some studs or something funky behind the plaster walls and I would have a bigger mess than I have now.  I just think it is some pretty sorry engineering to engineer a dryer that is that much larger than what had been around for decades.  When I measured, I meaured width, but did not consider depth.  Crazy me. 

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#4 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Have you considered stacking them? :yes:

#5 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

No, I have wall cabinets above and stacking these larger machines probably would not work.  BUT---I did get success today.  Maytag was here to connect the collar to the exhaust hose and was able to get the periscoping vent on the back.  It clears.  Not by much but....who would have ever thought I could be this dang happy about doing laundry!!! 

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Bigfoot and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users