5 replies to this topic

#1 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

How do you liberterians feel about Rand Paul's statement that the first amendment was to keep government out of religion not to keep religion out of government and America needs a religious revival.  Do you really want to go down that road? 

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'm a liberty Republican, but why do you disagree that the first amendment was to keep government out of religion?

The British monarchy, the government, declared what religion (denomination) their country was to be.  Do you know how bad people were persecuted for trying to practice freedom of religion? 

I personally like a wall between religion and government.  Most anybody who has read my posts on this board knows I don't believe in using the government to enforce morality.  Huckabee makes my skin crawl.

But I don't believe the founders ever intended us to be where we are now, either.  Where we've basically turned the first amendment from the freedom OF religion to the freedom FROM religion.  To me, there is a difference.

I do think this nation needs a spiritual revival.  Not religious revival.  Religion is laws and legalism and rules and pride (Pharisees).  

I serve because I love.  I love because He first loved me.

• Quasar and apirateatheart like this

#3 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

I believe religion should be a matter of ones choice.And Govt should have no place in it. You can have morals without being religious. Just as there are radical Muslims there are radical Christians. And both are equally dangerous. Spewing their hate and intolerance of anyone who doesn't agree or live the way they believe you should. The Jesus I serve is compassionate loving , forgiving who accepted and loved everyone from thieves to prostitutes. And even as he was painfully dying he asked his Father to forgive them for they know not what they were doing. Now you can't get more tolerant than that . Jmo
  • GrumpyGranny, JHS1982, snowman and 3 others like this

#4 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

How do you liberterians feel about Rand Paul's statement that the first amendment was to keep government out of religion not to keep religion out of government and America needs a religious revival. Do you really want to go down that road?

I think that apple got some rotten spots when it fell from the tree.

Seriously, I don't know the context of Rand's comments. He's had me scratching my head a few times lately.

#5 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

Yes, I can picture it now... "In Aqua Buddha we trust".

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yes, I can picture it now... "In Aqua Buddha we trust".

You're going to have me taking back my rotten spots comment.

It's Aqua Buddha and criminal justice reform and calling Hillary a war hawk and stuff I like about him (and he's adorable [for a short guy]).

Then he tries to impress Republicans and blows it.
  • Tina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users