46 replies to this topic

#21 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

There's no math I can imagine in which restricting access to clean needles could help stem an epidemic being spread by dirty needles.

Kelley,  We are obviously comparing apples to oranges.  Perhaps free needles MAY help prevent some junkies from getting HIV or one of the several types of hepatitis.  I am more concerned with children, police and other innoccent victims of needle sticks.  More needles = more contaminated needles lying around.  Are you using Common Core math?

#22 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

I know of no one that has the answer to addiction. I have seen the statistics on clean needles. When possession of a needle became a felony shared needle use rises. Hep C and HIV use rises.
The population of Austin lack hope.
  • kelley and Oldgoat like this

#23 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

For those inclined to help:
"The Needle exchange needs volunteers to help with the health dept office personnel. There's only 3 employees trying to cover the Sburg office as well as the One Stop Shop in Austin so they need someone to sit with whoever is working in Austin so they are not there alone. Contact Patti Hall from health dept 812-498-0103, if you can work."

#24 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:54 PM

Seeking information: does anyone know of locations NA groups meet in Scott Co.? Are there churches, other organizations or individuals that are entirely privately funded and doing especially good work in Scott Co.? How can folks at a distance best support private efforts on the ground? Thanks.

Edited by kelley, 02 May 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#25 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

An exchange normally involves someone giving something to get something. 1 dirty needle exchanged for 1 clean needle equals 1 useable needle.
  • Persona Non Grata likes this

#26 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

I wonder how often... Ron Grooms and Jim Smiths anti doctor / patient legislation regarding narcotic drugs have been responsible for pushing people towards intravenous drug use?

I can see that at some point.... someone living in unimaginable pain... might turn to heroin if they are desperate enough... 

If so... Grooms and Smith may be partially responsible for what we are seeing take place with our neighbors... 

#27 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

I wonder how often... Ron Grooms and Jim Smiths anti doctor / patient legislation regarding narcotic drugs have been responsible for pushing people towards intravenous drug use?

I can see that at some point.... someone living in unimaginable pain... might turn to heroin if they are desperate enough...

If so... Grooms and Smith may be partially responsible for what we are seeing take place with our neighbors...

There's no doubt addicts outside Scott County switched from something made under lab conditions to something they get from their user buddy who got no telling what from no telling where.

Edited by kelley, 05 May 2015 - 09:14 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#28 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

There's no doubt addicts outside Scott County switched from something made under lab conditions to something they get from their user buddy who got no telling what from no telling where.

Not to mention... that if an addict is hooked up with stuff that's been running about 25% pure...

then someone messes up and the bag missed a cut and was delivered at 80%... well... you wake up dead... 

• kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#29 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

HIV must be attacked from multiple angles. It doesn't just spread through IV drug use. I believe that to make any in roads we must begin to concentrate on the root problems. I will echo Tina's concerns. What is going on that is causing these people to devalue themselves to the point of not caring whether or not they become infected or infect others? What is causing them to choose a life of addiction? Is it the depressed local economy? Is it a pervasive "nothing matters" attitude? What can we do to give these people hope? 

#30 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

Over history, many scholars expressed the belief that the human soul is "programmed" to seek God or a "higher power".  In the absense of God, we seem to find replacement deities, be it obsessive alcohol, drugs, politics, extreme sports, climate change or  any number of other things that supplant our need for belief in something greater than ourselves.  None of these are very successful substitutes for time proven Judeo-Christian value systems nor is trying to "teach" something (self-respect) which can only be earned through personal discipline and accomplishment.   It is goiing to take Someone much greater than us to solve this problem!

• Tina, Russell Brooksbank and Dulcimore Dan like this

#31 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Kelley,  We are obviously comparing apples to oranges.  Perhaps free needles MAY help prevent some junkies from getting HIV or one of the several types of hepatitis.  I am more concerned with children, police and other innoccent victims of needle sticks.  More needles = more contaminated needles lying around.  Are you using Common Core math?

But does the program really result in more needles? I was under the impression that it was a needle exchange with the old needles being disposed of properly.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#32 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

But does the program really result in more needles? I was under the impression that it was a needle exchange with the old needles being disposed of properly.

Last word was 3000 dirty ones have been turned in.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#33 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

Last word was 3000 dirty ones have been turned in.

That would be good news!

#34 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

That would be good news!

That's the good news the rest of us were hoping for/expecting when you were dissing the exchange.

I learned recently that along with reducing the spread of disease and not increasing drug use, exchanges have been shown to increase the number of users who enter rehab. The contacts involved with the exchange are opportunities to share information and encouragement regarding treatment.

Edited by kelley, 06 May 2015 - 02:30 PM.

• Persona Non Grata and Russell Brooksbank like this

#35 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

That's the good news the rest of us were hoping for/expecting when you were dissing the exchange.

I learned recently that along with reducing the spread of disease and not increasing drug use, exchanges have been shown to increase the number of users who enter rehab. The contacts involved with the exchange are opportunities to share information and encouragement regarding treatment.

The jury is still out!  And...you might want to re-read my posts.  I never said that I was against it but rather expressed another point of view and possible outcome.  The program has had mixed results worlwide.  A large study in Australia showed virtually little impact on the number of improperly discarded needles and referenced frequent sharing of the NEW needles which virtually negates health benefits.  I'm not opposed to trying it here but it should be closely montored and frequently evaluated.  There has been a multitude of issues with mismanagement associated with exchange programs.  We don't need that here.

Edited by Oldgoat, 08 May 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#36 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

A large study in Australia showed virtually little impact on the number of improperly discarded needles and referenced frequent sharing of the NEW needles which virtually negates health benefits.

Virtually? I don't know what study you are referring to becuse you opted not to provide us with a link. But a quick Google search yielded a study from Austrailia with the following conclusion...

"The results demonstrate that, across all measures of effect used in the study, NSPs have yielded a significant
public health benefit,
and that continued investment will result in further financial savings to government and
improvements in both the quantity and quality of life of injecting drug users accessing NSPs.
"

https://www.health.g...File/roisum.pdf

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 09 May 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#37 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Not to mention... that if an addict is hooked up with stuff that's been running about 25% pure...

then someone messes up and the bag missed a cut and was delivered at 80%... well... you wake up dead...

Our best guess is that's something like what happened to my sister-in-law. She'd been an addict for decades but during the crack epidemic made a distinction about her use of medicine doctors gave people to make them better and crap a fellow addict had whipped up. Then it got harder to get pain meds, and the addiction threw that distinction out the window.

#38 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

How would a freemarket handle this situation?

#39 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

How would a freemarket handle this situation?

A truly free market would throw the needles in for free with the purchase of a gram of heroin.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 10 May 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#40 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

A free market would allow the user or the family to sue. It's unlikely the product was advertised as likely to kill you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users