46 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

The Scott County HIV crisis is not confined the Scott County. Drug use does not stop at County Line Road. We should be thankful that Clark County has a functioning Health Department!

We need to help those that can not help themselves. Make sure that you love those in crisis and try to get them to the right place for help. Do not be afaraid to draw boundaries, I will only do this if you do that!

do not forget to pray for your loved ones.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, JHS1982 and 2 others like this

#2 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Excellent comment.  What we are seeing is the tip of the iceberg.  Only when our society sees these people as victims and not as criminals will any progress be made.  We are losing an entire generation due to a draconian drug laws and intolerance.  When people begin using Heroin the first priority should be to save these peoples lives.  We need comprehensive health care, a safe needle exchange and treatment on demand.   This problem will not go away on its own. 

• Tina likes this

#3 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

The Poloticians need to make soe hard choices. I dout that they have the guts to make them. I have been told that Scott County Jail inmates are not tested for HIV because if the jailer knows that an inmate is a carrier, then the jailer has to provide treatment. The sheriff believes that ignorance is bliss. 

I have been told that inmates have sex and drugs in jail. If you do not know who is ill, is the jail just an incubator to spread the epidemic? Does anyone know what the policy is in Clark County? Floyd County? Washington County? 

The governor's needle exchange lasts for only thirty days. After thirty days a needle will again be considered to be drug paraphanialia. In 45 days the defense will be, I got it from you. 

Scott county has now identified over 100 cases. No one is providing care after diagnosis or a plan as to how to obtain care. The patient will probably not be sexually or drug abstinent. Does the State or our local Board of health have a plan to stop the spread?

Interesting questions with hard answers.

• kelley likes this

#4 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

We can put all the help out there clean needles, detox and rehab centers , HIV treatment etc. but how do we get the addict to help themselves. As a parent going through it detox worked for a month , she refused rehab center , etc. how do we get the sickness to stop until the addict them self is ready to commit.
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

I agree with grammy.  With all this talk of HIV in the news, if a drug addict is STILL willing to share needles, is there really anything that is going to stop them?

I mean, if that drug is more important than your life itself, or any hope of a future...  :no:

I just don't see the solution.  A longer needle exchange isn't going to help.

For Pete's sake... if the fear of AIDS isn't enough to get one to stop... I really don't know what the answer is!

Edited by Tina, 31 March 2015 - 11:35 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, ctownmom, firefly1937 and 1 other like this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

Indiana is again in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.c...ivs-spread.html

The line that saddens me the most:

r89o1s.jpg

The sheriff also mentioned houses where all they do all day is lay around shooting up.  I cannot imagine a life so unworthy of living that it makes that escape from it more appealing than living.  That's not life.  That's just waiting to die, one day at a time. :(

#7 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

Austin is exactly as described. No hope for any one. Lousy schools; lousy politicians; mayor in Florida during this crisis. We attacked Meth; dopers turned to heroine; we need somehow to give hope

#8 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

I don't feel it's completely fair to blame a entire community for ones addiction. My child grew up in Jeff and has the same issues. She came from a 2 parent home and had the same opportunities as everyone else. Individuals make their own choice to shoot up. Yes it becomes a community problem when so many uses and then catch or spread disease or commit crimes to maintain the addiction . Even though this all breaks my heart . These were the choices the individual made . Yes we try to help them but it's up to them to get it together. And pursue jobs or education even if they have to drive to surrounding areas. But it's not a community fault . Jmo
  • GrumpyGranny, TLIES, ctownmom and 2 others like this

#9 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:30 AM

Stopping the disease from spreading has to be first short term priority. Long term prevention next.
  • kelley and LetsBeHonest like this

#10 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:39 PM

You are so right Mr Voelker... Agree with you 100%

Edited by LetsBeHonest, 09 April 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#11 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:51 PM

Protecting people from themselves has always been a largely futile endeavor.  People I have known and cared a great deal for have struggled with drugs over the years.  Thankfully, a couple were able to save themselves.  Most were not.  Natural selection can be an insurmountable force. I pray for these people as there is not much else you can do. 

• grammy likes this

#12 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:05 AM

so "let them die and infect others",  is the answer?

Edited by Stephen Voelker, 11 April 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#13 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

so "let them die and infect others", is the answer?

. No I don't believe that is what Old Goat meant at all. No matter how much support a addict gets it's up to them to change . We may be able to slow the spread of HIV. But at the end of the day it's up to the user to seek help and want to make the commitment to stop.
  • GrumpyGranny, Beading Lady, Oldgoat and 1 other like this

#14 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

so "let them die and infect others",  is the answer?

Just stating that that for every action there is an equal reaction.  Handing out free needles has a down side.  My brother lives in a large city in Canada and in a pretty nice area. (His next door neighbor is McGill University) Canada has handed out free needles for years.  There is a beautiful park near his home where his kids used to play.  It's now unaffectionately called "Needle Park".  Several people got sticks there and people fear taking their children there because needles are everywhere.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't offer help to these people but we should not allow an increased risk to the rest of society in doing so.  We simply cannot "mainstream" individuals that present a threat to our families until they make committed changes to their lives that reduce that risk.

• firefly1937 likes this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Needles don't need to be legal or provided for free to be left in public spaces. There have been images from Scott Co of exactly that. With an HIV epidemic going on and access to clean needles prohibited by law, the odds are higher those strewn-about needles are deadly.
  • grammy likes this

#16 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

In the late 1970s and early 80s I worked for a very gifted and savvy small business owner.  He had two very close friends that were minority partners in his company.  I was doing skilled labor and at first didn't spend a lot of time around the office.  I saw some strange goings on and on one evening pulled into the lot, saw the office door open and started in, only to stop when I saw the owner "shooting up".  I backed out the door and didn't say a word.  Over time, his "Jones thing" as he called it was about to cost him his business.  At one point he was blowing $1000- 1200 a day on his habit.  His two friends were also addicts.  These people have a very close subculture and over time I saw him leave to make scores with doctors, lawyers and some fairly important local people.  This made it very clear to me that addicts are not always down and outers living in places live Austin but rather include many movers and shakers and so-called pillars of the community.

He eventually sat down with me, told me it was out of hand and that he was going to get help.  He asked me to take over the day to day operations of the company, hire someone to hold the purse strings and save the company while he tried to get straight.  I agreed and for a short time it seemed that he was really working at getting better.  He checked into rehab for about a month and came out looking much better. Soon, however, checks started coming up missing, then one day he asked to borrow my car while his was in the shop,  That evening I got a call from an LPD police officer friend that I had known for some time.  After some stumbling around he just came out and asked me what my car was doing at Papa Charlie's on Cane Run that day as it was under surveillance and it was known to be selling drugs.  As a friend, he asked me if I had a "problem" and could he help me in any way.  I assured him that I did not and that someone else had been using my car.  The next day, the bookkeeper and I started an audit and found that numerous checks had been cashed that week and the week before where her name had been forged on the signature in the owner's very identifiable handwriting.  The bookkeeper and I both resigned shortly thereafter.  In time, I found out that his wife had smuggled drugs into him while he was in rehab and in-fact he had never been "clean".  The last I heard of this very gifted person he was living in an old travel trailer on a friends property in Arizona  His partners both died years ago from hepatitis.

The purpose of this long-winded rant is to emphasize that these people are rarely capable of making sound decisions.  The drugs control their life.  They will lie, steal, subvert, and in some case harm others when they are "Jonesin'".  They truly cannot be trusted to be around others in ALMOST all instances.  The more affluent ones that can afford their habit may be able to function and appear completely normal and productive but they are only one hard withdrawal away from doing whatever they must to make it go away.

• GrumpyGranny, TLIES, Lady Phoenix and 2 others like this

#17 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Needles don't need to be legal or provided for free to be left in public spaces. There have been images from Scott Co of exactly that. With an HIV epidemic going on and access to clean needles prohibited by law, the odds are higher those strewn-about needles are deadly.

Absolutely true but there is no question that more needles mean more needles laying around. Simple math!  I might add that a Jonesin' junkie doesn't give a da*n where they throw their needles.

#18 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for sharing your story ( #16). My buddy Greg always said, " you cannot trust a junkie"

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

There's no math I can imagine in which restricting access to clean needles could help stem an epidemic being spread by dirty needles.
  • Stephen Voelker likes this

#20 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Old Goat for sharing. . My daughter always said when I would confront her , "You would be surprised at who the users are in Jeff".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users