• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

We've got two recent things going on... first was his accident with an elastic band which really has messed him up. Broken bones in his face... damaged his eye... broken ribs... Then we have the recent announcement that he is retiring and won't seek re election. Reid then suggests Schumer as his replacement... I think Schumer is just awful and has a record of wanting to ban just about everything in America... 

Reid of course says he's not retiring because he is out of power and not likely to regain any power anytime soon. I do think that he's taking his ball and going home for this very reason... I've always thought the guy was dirty so I think we are better off without him... 

I've always thought that his serious injuries from a rubber band were unlikely but nobody seemed to be reporting about it or asking questions. I recently found two articles by John Hinderaker offering his thoughts on the matter. 

So what do you folks think about Reid's announcements?

http://www.powerline...-harry-reid.php

http://www.powerline...reid-part-2.php

• Tina likes this

#2 Beerguy

Beerguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Without getting into any of political side of this story, I can attest to the damage one of those elastic workout bands can do.  I was using a 45lb band to simulate pull ups (If you've ever done P90X, you'd know what I'm talking about) and it snapped on me.  The right side of the band shot back at me like it was shot out of a gun. The part of the band that hit me caused a hairline fracture in my wrist, and I fell back like a sack of potatoes as I was using all of my balance with the bands.  One of these bands could definitely break his eye socket, or what ever it was on his face, and if he lost his balance when the band snapped, he easily could have broken his ribs falling on equipment.

Again, I could care less about the political side of this, but he could have gotten injured from using a resistance band to work out.

#3 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Anything is possible I guess. But I would think he might be in age denial . Those type of injuries can happen to the elderly when they fall.

#4 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

Harry who?

#5 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

Is he the nice old guy that lives on Maple street?

#6 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Well... it appears that Dirty Harry was not roughed up by the mafia after all... which is kind of a bummer because that was a really good story... however this one sounds like it could be the real deal and probably is a lot closer to the truth... 

Easton Elliott didn’t think much more about Larry until, several weeks later, he saw a newspaper story about Larry Reid, Harry Reid’s brother, being arrested for DUI and assaulting a highway patrolman. The story was accompanied by a photograph, and Elliott immediately recognized Larry Reid as the “Larry” who had attended the AA meeting on New Year’s Eve. Putting that fact together with news stories about Harry Reid being admitted to a hospital on New Year’s Day, and with Larry’s references to the Secret Service, he concluded that the family member with whom Larry fought was Harry Reid. He also knew that Harry Reid’s home is within a short distance of the location of the AA meeting.

http://www.powerline...reid-part-3.php

UNLESS... maybe Larry Reid is in the mafia...  :D

Sen. Harry Reid’s brother, Larry Joe Reid, will be charged with drunken driving and a gun charge among others after a run-in with a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper, the Clark County district attorney’s office said Thursday.

He faces one count each of driving under the influence, battery of a protected person, possession of a firearm while intoxicated, failing to comply with an officer and not wearing a seat belt.

#7 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

This is an interesting topic and discussion. I don't really want to weigh in on the underlying situation, but I do have one observation/question. In making his disclosure, is Easton Elliott violating some sort obligation to maintain the confidentialy of others in attendance at AA meetings? I have never attended an AA meeting, and I don't know what the protocols are, but as a general matter it seems to me that someone shouldn't publicize the names of other attendees. Perhaps there's an exception since Larry Reid got into legal trouble and was in the news anyway? Just curious about that aspect of the story.

#8 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

The big lie: Las Vegas man watches as his Harry Reid tale takes off

Larry Pfeifer, a 50-year-old former consultant in the nightclub and entertainment industry, said he fabricated the story after becoming appalled that right-wing political blogger John Hinderaker published a rumor that Reid’s injuries stemmed from an assault by a Mafia enforcer. Pfeifer said he pitched his fake story about the Reid brothers’ supposed fight to Hinderaker, author of the Power Line blog, to test whether the blogger would publish it, as well. When Hinderaker reported it and the rumor was subsequently spread by others in conservative media, Pfeifer says he began plotting to self-report it as a lie to show the lack of credibility and journalistic standards among partisan media figures.

"They had no problem using a story that had nothing but some guy’s word,” Pfeifer said. “Not one of them knew my real name. I didn’t even give them my phone number.”

IMG_0706_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6

http://lasvegassun.c...eid-tale-takes/

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 29 April 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#9 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

Larry Pfeifer, a 50-year-old former consultant in the nightclub and entertainment industry, said he fabricated the story after becoming appalled that right-wing political blogger John Hinderaker published a rumor that Reid’s injuries stemmed from an assault by a Mafia enforcer. Pfeifer said he pitched his fake story about the Reid brothers’ supposed fight to Hinderaker, author of the Power Line blog, to test whether the blogger would publish it, as well. When Hinderaker reported it and the rumor was subsequently spread by others in conservative media, Pfeifer says he began plotting to self-report it as a lie to show the lack of credibility and journalistic standards among partisan media figures.

"They had no problem using a story that had nothing but some guy’s word,” Pfeifer said. “Not one of them knew my real name. I didn’t even give them my phone number.”

IMG_0706_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6

Who really cares how it happened.  It is a shame it didn't happen sooner

#10 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

Who really cares how it happened.  It is a shame it didn't happen sooner

Ummmm...Whoever started this thread?

#11 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

That's interesting... makes me wonder if the guy was lying... OR... was he paid off or threatened to change the story... regardless, I just can't believe Reid's original story... or his second story... because we know for certain that Reid is a liar...

From John Hinderaker:

I, of course, couldn’t vouch for the veracity of Elliott’s story, and I didn’t. In the linked post I wrote: “That is Easton Elliott’s account. I can’t vouch for it, of course….” Later, I said: “Is Easton Elliott telling the truth? I have absolutely no idea.” But I did check him out to the extent reasonably possible. Among other things, that included spending a couple of hours with him in multiple telephone conversations. He told his story consistently and with seeming sincerity, and swore repeatedly that it was true.

Now, however, he has told the Las Vegas Sun that it was all a lie. Elliott/Pfeifer says he made up his story and went to great lengths to persuade me and others to publish his lies out of pure civic-mindedness: he wanted to “show the lack of credibility and journalistic standards among partisan media figures.” [Footnote: Not sure why he invested so much effort. He could have “show[n] the lack of credibility and journalistic standards among partisan media figures” by noting that virtually every “mainstream” news outlet repeated Harry Reid’s fabricated charge that Mitt Romney didn’t pay taxes.]

#12 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

That's interesting... makes me wonder if the guy was lying... OR... was he paid off or threatened to change the story...

...and his name!
  • Quasar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users