I'll respond to this when I have time.

#302 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

fitz, there is a difference between a privately held business open to the public and a publicly held building open to the public. Can you explain to me the difference?

#303 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Why single out the Clarksville judge. Take on the Federal Judges and State CIrcuit Court judges.  You can't bring your bad donkey guns in these courthouses. That's just want we need, everyone armed during a jury trial.  Guns DONT belong in a courthouse.

#304 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Ray, because THIS. judge and HIS actions are what we are discussing. Have you read this entire thread? If you had, you would know that we are talking about a Town Hall not a Courthouse. Almost everybody is okay with the Judge securing his courtroom. It's the power hungry political gamesmanship of including the entire Town Hall in his order that we are opposed to.
  • miami vice and James-R-McClure-Jr like this

#305 fitz

fitz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Where does it say God in the Dec. Of. Ind.?

Where does it say God in the Constitution?

#306 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

It doesn't. What's that got to do with anything?

#307 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

Amazing how dead this thread was until I showed how the Town Council has the authority to reign in this activist judge. Could it be that he is afraid that someone may actually clip his wings?
  • James-R-McClure-Jr likes this

#308 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

Is that your election platform Mr. Brooksbank?  You are running to 'clip the wings' of the town court judge?  Good Lord!

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 18 July 2015 - 08:50 PM.

• Sleepy likes this

#309 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

No, that is not my election platform. I do believe, as do a lot of other people, though that he needs to be reigned in. He overstepped his bounds and I proved that the Town Council has the authority to do just that, despite a member of the bar declaring from on high something different. If I am elected I will push for and vote for the amendment that I proposed to make certain that the Judge stays within his boundaries. My platform is simple. Stop violating the people's rights.

#310 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

http://www.newsandtr...4304dd14c8.html

CLARKSVILLE — After a little more than an hour of discussion Wednesday, the committee tasked with finding a possible compromise to the current weapons ban at the town's municipal building came to some amicable starting points.

Council members Tim Hauber, John Gilkey and Jennifer Voignier, Clarksville Town Court Judge Jimmie Guilfoyle met at the Clarksville police station to discuss possible solutions. Hauber will serve as chair, Gilfoyle vice-chair and Voignier secretary.

#311 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

http://www.newsandtr...4304dd14c8.html

CLARKSVILLE — After a little more than an hour of discussion Wednesday, the committee tasked with finding a possible compromise to the current weapons ban at the town's municipal building came to some amicable starting points.

Council members Tim Hauber, John Gilkey and Jennifer Voignier, Clarksville Town Court Judge Jimmie Guilfoyle met at the Clarksville police station to discuss possible solutions. Hauber will serve as chair, Gilfoyle vice-chair and Voignier secretary.

I know I've been repeatedly bending the ear of the chairman! Maybe all my talking has had some influence. Either way, I hope they put guilfoyle in his place, those entrusted with the use of our tax dollars should most certainly NOT just impose their will as they see fit, and that is exactly what this guy did.

#312 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

I know I've been repeatedly bending the ear of the chairman! Maybe all my talking has had some influence. Either way, I hope they put guilfoyle in his place, those entrusted with the use of our tax dollars should most certainly NOT just impose their will as they see fit, and that is exactly what this guy did.

The committee will not have the authority to do that.  It would take an order from a higher court.  And then you have to look at other court houses local and federal.  Most don't allow firearms either, so it is unlikely a higher court would over rule him.  The answer to the question which has been discussed before is a separate court room/house for Clarksville.

#313 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

The committee will not have the authority to do that. It would take an order from a higher court. And then you have to look at other court houses local and federal. Most don't allow firearms either, so it is unlikely a higher court would over rule him. The answer to the question which has been discussed before is a separate court room/house for Clarksville.

Yeah, unfortunately I know you are correct, but it's nice to dream. The biggest issue I have with the whole deal is, this guy is Clarksville town judge, not circuit court, not state Supreme Court, not Supreme Court, he really doesn't rule on cases that anybody hears about, but he's been able to impose his will upon everyone who may need to go to town hall. That is way too much power for a town employee.

This isn't what Clarksville needs, but I'll admit, I'm surprised that the previous rulers didn't pull more of this type of garbage. Hopefully, our new council will aggressively work to undo this as much as possible, and work even harder to keep this sort of thing from happening again.

#314 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

The Town Council has authority over the Town Court. In order to see this we simply need to look at the Clarksville Code of Ordinances. Title III Chapter 32 Section 1 of the Clarksville Code of Ordinances creates our Town Court. Our Council wrote that, voted on it and agreed to it. Title III Chapter 32 Section 20 of the Clarksville Code of Ordinances establishes the election of our Town Judge. Our Council wrote that, voted on it and agreed to it. Title III Chapter 32 Section 23 of the Clarksville Code of Ordinances establishes the Power and Jurisdiction of our Town Judge. Our Council wrote that, voted on it and agreed to it. Our Council has the authority and ability to amend, repeal or rewrite any of our ordinances, including what I just listed. In fact, it's their job to do so. This Council does have the authority to reign in this Judge. I would like to propose to the Council an amendment to Title III Chapter 32 Section 23 to include a new Subsection E which reads as follows: The Town Judge shall have the authority to institute security measures for the courtroom only and only while court is in session. This authority may not extend beyond the boundaries of the courtroom. The boundaries of said courtroom are to be laid out by the Town Council. This authority and it's limitations are in effect regardless of the type of building said courtroom is housed in."

This amendment will do two things. It will return the decision making for the Town Hall security to the rightful place, the Town Council. It will allow Judge Guilfoyle to secure his courtroom as he sees fit.
  • kelley and James-R-McClure-Jr like this

#315 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

Peace be with you, all,

As the only un-elected member of the committee, I'm working to reach a reasonable solution and ensuring that our public servants serve We, The People not rule over us.  I am confident a solution is achievable.  Russell is correct that the Town Court was created by ordinance and the Town Council has the full Power to change the scope of the Court.  I encourage all concerned citizens of Clarksville to attend the next meeting on 23 Feb 16 at 1900.

#316 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

nuts

#317 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:03 AM

nuts

Yep. the judge sure is. 😉

#318 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

Mr. McClure 

Do you feel the audience (those in attendance) were given the 

opportunity to speak to the committee?

#319 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

My two cents. The meeting was open to the public, but that doesn't mean that the public gets to make comments during the meeting. I don't believe though that anything stopped anyone from addressing any of the committee members before or after the meeting.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 24 February 2016 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users