#1 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Peace be with you, all,

I just returned from the Clarksville Town Council meeting.  Tonight Judge Guilfoyle requested the Town Council spend money on a metal detector and approve an ordinance to prevent law abiding citizens from carrying their legal, private property (firearms) in the town hall (public property).  Judge Guilfoyle stated that the Second Amendment was "open to interpretation."  The judge also said that violation of the ordinance would lead to seizure of the legal, private property with no possibility of the property being returned.  This is a direct attack on the Second Amendment Rights of the citizens of Clarksville.  Chief Palmer was asked if there was ever an incident of a weapon being used to attack or threaten anyone in the town hall.  He stated that such an incident had never occurred.  I feel that I must strongly speak out against this erosion of My God-given Rights.  If the Clarksville court (which handles only misdemeanors) has security problems, those security issues can be addressed without denying law abiding citizens their Rights.  Several members of the Town Council seemed in favor of this unconstitutional ordinance.  Those members must explain to their constituents why they do not trust them to be responsible gun owners.  Every candidate for Town Council should be asked if they trust their constituents to be responsible with their own property.  We are citizens not subjects.  In what other ways is the heavy hand of government needed, because their constituents, who cannot be trusted with our own property, are irresponsible children to be ruled over?

• Diogenes and Russell Brooksbank like this

#2 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm thinking Indiana law already bars carrying in municipal buildings containing courtrooms. So I guess I would object to this on the basis of it being a waste of time, as a law already exists covering what the judge is requesting.

Edited by littletommy, 16 March 2015 - 08:32 PM.

• Donna likes this

#3 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

Which verse of the bible notes that God gave us the right to carry and own an M16?  Missed that class in Sunday school I guess. 

• RiverFox and Donna like this

#4 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

Ray, the Bible's purpose isn't to discuss rights. What James is speaking of are the inalienable rights endowed to us by our creator that our Declaration of Independence describes. God gave us the right to defend our life, liberty and justly acquired property from anyone who would take them from us. This includes members of our government. We have a right to do so with any means available to us. That means an M-16 if you've got one. To answer your question James, I trust my neighbors. I would disagree with that Judge. The second amendment was written in very clear language. We have a right to keep and BEAR arms.

• James-R-McClure-Jr likes this

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

Some of you guys need to seriously re-read your Bible.  

• RiverFox likes this

#6 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:32 PM

Where in the Bible does it say we don't have the right to defend ourselves? It says we should choose not to, but it doesn't say we don't have the right to.

#7 MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:25 AM

Little tommy, I don't believe that's correct. IC 35-47-11.1-4 seems to indicate that the State will not stand in the way if a local jurisdiction chooses to enact such an ordinance for their court.
If it were the case that State law already existed banning firearms form a building housing a court then there would not have been a call from the Judge to consider such an ordinance.

James, I'll be writing more when time allows but I'll take a big bite right now. I'm totally pro 2nd Amendment and would NEVER, under any circumstance, vote to pass an ordinance that infringed on ones Constitutional rights! Ever! Again, more to come but have other issues at the moment.
  • James-R-McClure-Jr, Russell Brooksbank and Dulcimore Dan like this

#8 MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

Back to finish my bite, James, I didn't read the Councils reaction to the ordinance portion the same way you did, not to say you're wrong and I'm right. My take was that they were very receptive to hearing all the information presented. The only member I recall giving his take on the issue was Hauber who definitely appeared pro 2nd Amendment. I did not get a full read from anyone else during the work session only that they were listening to the presentation. We shall see what happens from here.

I am totally with you that the 2nd Amendment, nor any other Amendments are not "open to interpretation". Our Constitution is not a living document to be toyed with at will, in my opinion.

#9 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:11 AM

Peace, Donna,

Some of you guys need to seriously re-read your Bible.  

Some of you girls need to seriously re-read your Declaration of Independence.

#10 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:12 AM

Peace, Russell,

Ray, the Bible's purpose isn't to discuss rights. What James is speaking of are the inalienable rights endowed to us by our creator that our Declaration of Independence describes. God gave us the right to defend our life, liberty and justly acquired property from anyone who would take them from us. This includes members of our government. We have a right to do so with any means available to us. That means an M-16 if you've got one. To answer your question James, I trust my neighbors. I would disagree with that Judge. The second amendment was written in very clear language. We have a right to keep and BEAR arms.

Thank you for your response as a candidate. 

Love your sig!  Jeffersonian Anti-Federalism for the win!!

#11 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

Peace, Marvin,

Back to finish my bite, James, I didn't read the Councils reaction to the ordinance portion the same way you did, not to say you're wrong and I'm right. My take was that they were very receptive to hearing all the information presented. The only member I recall giving his take on the issue was Hauber who definitely appeared pro 2nd Amendment. I did not get a full read from anyone else during the work session only that they were listening to the presentation. We shall see what happens from here.

I am totally with you that the 2nd Amendment, nor any other Amendments are not "open to interpretation". Our Constitution is not a living document to be toyed with at will, in my opinion.

I spoke with four of the council.  The four of them seemed 'receptive' to erosion of our God-given, inalienable Rights.  I don't consider that to be a good sign.

I concur with you that the Constitution was written in plain English so that citizens would know when their government acted unconstitutionally; no interpretation by black robed mystics or our elected overseers is required nor is the Constitution a "living document."

#12 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

Which four were receptive to the idea?
  • MARVIN BOSTOCK JR and Diogenes like this

#13 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

I agree James,  my concern is how dare any elected official even consider taking away any rights what so ever from FREE CITIZENS is beyond obscene it is Tyranny and those whom are in an elected position should be removed from office by the citizens even before they dare put that thought to a vote. This kind of infringement of our GOD given rights is a pure criminal act of the highest caliber, I've had enough of this lame duck crap and any want to be Gang of 4 replacement. From what I see this is an attack against what all God fearing, hard working people stand for. Disarm the law abiding and that will thwart what? I think we should have it for the record for all time and history that those in office today publicly declare where they stand on 2nd Amendment as well as the US Constitution they swore an Oath they feel it is as good today as was when it first came out or that they don't believe in it and swear allegiance to some Stalin / Mao dribble and further more so should all those that are running for 1st time office. You want our votes, our support well then I say declare that you are a staunch supporter of "the Republic for which it stands", if not get out of the race NOW we have had enough Mussolini wanna be talent already. I tell you my fellow Clarksvillians if the Court of jaywalkers and other non issues has that much of a security problem shut the thing down and do it now, let the County take over like Jeffersonville and any other towns that closed their courts, heck they have in the State House right now about getting another Magistrate here for Clark County so CLOSE IT DOWN. Beside all law abiding License to Carry know you can't have a fire arm while court is in session sounds to me like lets make a cure for a non issue objective.

Now onto more enlightening matters, it is warm again Amen !   

#14 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

Diogenes, I am one of those candidates you spoke of. I took an oath when I was 17 years old to defend the Constitution of these United States. That oath does not expire until I do. I stand firm in the defense of our Bill of Rights and the Republican (not the party) form of government that we are guaranteed, and I would appreciate your vote in November.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 18 March 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#15 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Oh and yay warm! I would much rather sweat than freeze.

#16 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

Well Russell thank you for replying, I know the rest of you who do post will and the rest that are lurking out there and haven't quite figured out how to reply or even if it would be pruident to get yourself on the record be advised your silence will speak volumes and all of CCC will know what you're true intent is, I and about 20,000 other fellow Clarksvillians are waiting.............

Edited by Diogenes, 19 March 2015 - 02:46 PM.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#17 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

Are you guys saying you think it's against the constitution to ban guns in the courtroom?

#18 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Nobody is arguing about carrying guns into a courtroom. This is about carrying guns into a public building like the town hall. If the Judge wants to keep guns out of his courtroom then the metal detector ought to be put at the courtroom door.

#19 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for your answer. 

#20 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

You guys are scary!  No thanks to your ideology.

And, yes, us "girls" do know our Declaration of Independence.  A "well regulated militia" does not mean carrying a weapon wherever you choose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users