10 replies to this topic

#1 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

Finally got some good weather! I've seen lots of people out on the floodwall trail today, and myself and the Mrs. went to Perrin Park earlier this morning and did 6.25 miles, it was perfect. Haven't been to Perrin for several years, and that place is just as nice as I remembered it.

Who else got out and took advantage of the great day?

• Donna likes this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

After the snow melt and rainfall, I went out and weeded the gardens.  Much easier to get the whole root when the soil is moist. 

I love spring.  Can't wait to plant peas, tomatoes and beans!

• grammy and littletommy like this

#3 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

I haven't done anything more than tomato plants for the last few years, but I'm planning on using my lettuce beds again this year, maybe put out some kale later in the season, oh, and cilantro, I had a large container full of cilantro last year, love that stuff!

#4 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, we love cilantro, along with basil, parsley, sage, thyme (no, haven't grown rosemary!) but we do grow mint, blueberries and strawberries. 

There are some lettuce plants that you can clip what you want from the plant and leave the plant to grow some more!  We also grow spinach, which is not only yummy & nutritional, it looks awesome! 

And, frankly, for the space, I'd rather visit the farmer's market on squash, zucchini, broccoli, corn, potatoes or cauliflower.  They also have locally produced honey, eggs & meat. 

#5 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Got my hands dirty this afternoon and it was grand!  Cleaned up a really bad muddy area off the patio; found a bunch of giantic earthworms in the process and they were relocated to the raised beds and a few to the compost tumbler.  Planted spinach, lettuce and carrots in the beds that have covers in case the weather turns too cold in the weeks to come.  Topped off the tumbler with some shredded paper.  My tomato seedlings under the lights are about 3" tall now; peppers just sprouting.  Can't wait for spring.  Really enjoyed today.  Hope all of you did too!

• kelley, Donna and Persona Non Grata like this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Hound dog, I bagged five bags of leaves today in Clarksville...in those big paper Home Depot sacks!

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

Whatcha goin' to do wid those leaf bags? 

HoundDog, if you don't want all of 'em, I'll take the left overs!

#8 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for thinking of me, Tina ! I'm still good on leaves from last fall. Have quite a stockpile left. They'll come in handy in a few months when all I have are grass clippings and no "carbon" materials. Donna, I hope you can use them.

Edited by HoundDog, 15 March 2015 - 11:18 PM.

• Tina and Donna like this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

Whatcha goin' to do wid those leaf bags? 

HoundDog, if you don't want all of 'em, I'll take the left overs!

They're on the street waiting to be picked up!

#10 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Tina..do you have a mulching lawn mower? Run it over the leaves and it shreds them up so that you don't have to bag them. It is really good for the grass to. I hate bagging leaves!
  • Tina likes this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

She's already bagged them and I'm picking them up tomorrow!

But a great future tip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users