26 replies to this topic

#1 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

If two wrongs make a right and anyone's current hero commits a wrong for which you can think of a previous wrong that absolves him/her, this is the thread for it.

You're welcome.

Edited by kelley, 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• Tina likes this

#2 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

If two wrongs make a right...

...then what do two Wrights make? An airplane!
  • kelley and JHS1982 like this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hilarious thread topic Kelley!

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

I'm confused...   :unsure:

#5 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

I thought two lefts made a right?

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

For example, if HRC sends some guys to break into the office of political enemies, and when some here condemn her for it or express concern while never claiming they think it was swell when Nixon did it, yet you still feel an urge to point out "Nixon did it too" as if it's relevant and makes what HRC did ok, this is a place for that.

Edited by kelley, 14 March 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#7 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

I'll start with a real example. Obama has wiped his butt with the Bill of Rights with NSA spying.

However, W. and Abe Lincoln were Republicans and also wiped their butts with the Bill of Rights on occasion and no one here is calling for their heads, so, no biggie on Obama.

Edited by kelley, 14 March 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#8 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

What if you just want to point out that it's been done before but you don't claim that it absolves anybody of anything? And what if you admire someone but they aren't necessarily your "hero"?

Speaking of heroes, did you hear that Dakota Meyer is engaged to Bristol Palin?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 14 March 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#9 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

What if you just want to point out that it's been done before but you don't claim that it absolves anybody of anything? And what if you admire someone but they aren't necessarily your "hero"?

Speaking of heroes, did you hear that Dakota Meyer is engaged to Bristol Palin?

Who is Dakota Meyer?

Well, if it doesn't absolve anyone, and no one here is claiming the past wrong was skippy in order for the pointing out of hypocrisy to be the point, I'm not sure what the point is, but knock yourself out.

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

Had to Google the fiancee and now feel guilty for assuming he was some young celebrity guy I was too old to know about.

http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/Dakota_Meyer
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#11 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

Who is Dakota Meyer?
Well, if it doesn't absolve anyone, and no one here is claiming the past wrong was skippy in order for the pointing out of hypocrisy to be the point, I'm not sure what the point is, but knock yourself out.

Knock myself out where? Do I have to post it over here or am I allowed to stay in the original thread?

#12 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

You're allowed to do whatever you want unless you're bossing me around as far as I'm concerned. However, after the discussion heads that direction, we often end up off topic. We got in trouble on the presidential projections thread for it.

#13 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

However, W. and Abe Lincoln were Republicans and also wiped their butts with the Bill of Rights on occasion and no one here is calling for their heads

It would old and mushy by now, kinda gross.

Edited by woo, 14 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#14 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

It would old and mushy by now, kinda gross.

You forgot to bold W. too.

#15 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Fixed...

• kelley likes this

#16 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Peace, Kelley,

I'll start with a real example. Obama has wiped his butt with the Bill of Rights with NSA spying.

However, W. and Abe Lincoln were Republicans and also wiped their butts with the Bill of Rights on occasion and no one here is calling for their heads, so, no biggie on Obama.

Yes, the President has directed the NSA to violate our Fourth Amendment rights.  Our congressional sock puppet, Todd Young, has voted to support such unconstitutional actions, so there is blame on both sides.

I spoke out publicly against George W. Bush's unconstitutional acts (Patriot Act, bailouts).  I have also said that Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents for his repeated violation of citizens' Rights.  Destroying the Constitution to "save the Union" was and always will be wrong.

• kelley likes this

#17 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Do you realize you said, "Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents for his repeated violation of citizens' Rights. "

Thinking you must have made some sort of typo or something.

• Persona Non Grata likes this

#18 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Maybe interesting, in the context of this thread and the disagreement about precedents in another.

"If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty--four, and give the earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; And the sixteen being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they do now, on oatmeal and potatoes, have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; But be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains around the necks of our fellow sufferers; And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for a second, that second for a third, and so on 'til the bulk of society is reduced to mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering...and the forehorse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression." -- Thomas Jefferson

#19 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Had to Google the fiancee and now feel guilty for assuming he was some young celebrity guy I was too old to know about.

http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/Dakota_Meyer

I stand in awe... 

"The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

CORPORAL DAKOTA L. MEYER
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

For service as set forth in the following

A light blue neck ribbon with a gold star shaped medallion hanging from it. The ribbon is similar in shape to a bowtie with 13 white stars in the center of the ribbon.
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Embedded Training Team 2-8, Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-7, in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on 8 September 2009. Corporal Meyer maintained security at a patrol rally point while other members of his team moved on foot with two platoons of Afghan National Army and Border Police into the village of Ganjgal for a pre-dawn meeting with village elders. Moving into the village, the patrol was ambushed by more than 50 enemy fighters firing rocket propelled grenades, mortars, and machine guns from houses and fortified positions on the slopes above. Hearing over the radio that four U.S. team members were cut off, Corporal Meyer seized the initiative. With a fellow Marine driving, Corporal Meyer took the exposed gunner's position in a gun-truck as they drove down the steeply terraced terrain in a daring attempt to disrupt the enemy attack and locate the trapped U.S. team. Disregarding intense enemy fire now concentrated on their lone vehicle, Corporal Meyer killed a number of enemy fighters with the mounted machine guns and his rifle, some at near point blank range, as he and his driver made three solo trips into the ambush area. During the first two trips, he and his driver evacuated two dozen Afghan soldiers, many of whom were wounded. When one machine gun became inoperable, he directed a return to the rally point to switch to another gun-truck for a third trip into the ambush area where his accurate fire directly supported the remaining U.S. personnel and Afghan soldiers fighting their way out of the ambush. Despite a shrapnel wound to his arm, Corporal Meyer made two more trips into the ambush area in a third gun-truck accompanied by four other Afghan vehicles to recover more wounded Afghan soldiers and search for the missing U.S. team members. Still under heavy enemy fire, he dismounted the vehicle on the fifth trip and moved on foot to locate and recover the bodies of his team members. Corporal Meyer's daring initiative and bold fighting spirit throughout the 6-hour battle significantly disrupted the enemy's attack and inspired the members of the combined force to fight on. His unwavering courage and steadfast devotion to his U.S. and Afghan comrades in the face of almost certain death reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

http://en.m.wikipedi..._Honor_citation

#20 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

Peace, Pesty Version 2,

Do you realize you said, "Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents for his repeated violation of citizens' Rights. "

Thinking you must have made some sort of typo or something.

No, I wrote exactly what I meant, "Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents for his repeated violation of citizens' Rights."  Please, allow Me to educate you on the many unconstitutional acts by President Lincoln:

1. Lincoln ordered Northern newspapers who dared to speak out against him to be shut down, e.g.: The Journal of Commerce and The World.  The owners and editors were arrested for disloyalty and their property seized.  This is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment (Freedom of the Press).

2. Suspension of Habeas Corpus.  On April 27, 1861, President Lincoln, fearful that Southern troops might overtake the capital, suspended the writ of habeas corpus and declared martial law in Maryland. Shortly afterward, Union soldiers captured John Merryman, a cavalryman who had burned bridges and destroyed telegraph lines. Merryman challenged his military detention. On May 26, 1861, Chief Justice Roger Taney, sitting circuit, ruled that Lincoln had acted unconstitutionally — only Congress could suspend the Great Writ. Lincoln ignored the order and continued to seize and hold adversaries without a hearing. He did likewise in other states, such as Missouri.

3. Arrest and trial of private citizens for speaking out against the Lincoln administration, e.g.: former Ohio congressman, Clement L. Vallandigham.  Clement Vallandigham was a diehard Copperhead and a vigorous defender of State Sovereignty. Though personally opposed slavery, he felt the national government could not constitutionally compel the states to end what was called the “peculiar institution.” On May 1, 1863, Vallandigham gave a speech in which he labeled the Union war as “wicked, cruel, and unnecessary.” This conflict, waged by “King Lincoln,” was a “war for the purpose of crushing out liberty and erecting a despotism.” He then called for Lincoln’s removal from office.  Vallandigham was convicted by a military tribunal and was sentenced to “close confinement” until the end of the war. 

4. How about arresting a sitting member of Congress?  Henry May of Maryland was elected as a Unionist to the 37th Congress (4 Mar 1861 – 3 Mar 1863).  In September 1861 May was arrested without charges or recourse to habeas corpus on suspicion of treason.  May was eventually released, but no charges were ever brought or evidence produced.

5. Federal takeover of a whole city?  Lincoln ordered the arrest of Baltimore police chief George P. Kane, police commissioner Charles Howard, as well as fellow commissioners: William H. Gatchell, John W. Davis, and Charles D. Hinks. Baltimore Mayor George W. Brown was arrested and sent to Fort McHenry. The men were incarcerated because they dared to publicly disagree with Lincoln.  Baltimore was placed under federal control and a military police force was formed.

6. Making war without declaration of war by Congress.  Lincoln issued the Proclamation of Blockade of Southern Ports on 19 Apr 1861.  Naval blockade is an act of war.  Lincoln did not seek congressional approval for the blockade nor did he ever seek a declaration of war against the Confederate States.

• Persona Non Grata likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users