Photo

Illegal Computer Checks to Enter a GCCS building/Senior Law Enforcement Officials Say It Does Not Provide Safety

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

Also, Holy Cow, while you support the admin and perhaps work for the schools, you still have ignored the questions about whether this has been a problem INSIDE the schools at any time.   I agree it is a problem OUTSIDE --- sexual predators lurking around school grounds; snatching children while walking to/from school, etc.  But I honestly have never heard of an instance where a sexual offender was a problem within a school building unless, as grammy said, it is a teacher.   I just think this money could be put to a much better use.     But Oscar is certainly getting rich from being a slick salesman and making schools think they are spending their money wisely.  

What about protecting children from murderers, rapists, drug addicts, drug salesmen, thieves, etc. etc.   Can the schools "protect" against everything??

#82 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

That is a question you may want to ask the ditrict. Regardless of how many times you repeat your position, I philosophically disagree with you and believe this is good.

I mistakenly posted to the wrong thread in response to your statement about people in the school sharing this info. Why would that bother you? It is after all public information and you are one who is always seeking full disclosure.

#83 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

I wasn't the one who said anything about people sharing info.  You have me mixed up with Karen.   You have the right to believe it is good, but unfortunately you have not let us know why you feel this is necessary or if there has been a problem in the past.  

I don't know what you mean by "always seeking full disclosure" ---- I gave up on this district giving full disclosure.

#84 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

Ah, the second (okay, third!) cup of coffee kicks in! 

We do jones on full disclosure, but all too often, we don't get it, or the story changes, or the obfuscations pile up.  It's not just GCCS, although they are a secretive lot, but also other governmental entities.

What part of IM's postings do you "philosophically disagree with?"  (Gee, where have I heard that phrase before?)

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#85 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

Would this be one of those instances where say a Town Council might pass an ordinance banning such things in the schools within the town boundaries?

#86 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

Russell, That is an interesting idea, but on a practical basis, I am not sure how it would work. Please allow me to simply ask some questions. I want to be sure I state that I am asking these as a basis for discussion and I am not doing so to advocate any point.

What would be the town's enforcement? If a school, let's say hypothetically, Parkwood Elementary (because it is within the town's limits) chose to ignore the ordinance, what would the town do? Would the council want the principal or clerical office staff who oversees the implementation at the building level cited or fined? Let's take it another step, and say that those people were acting under the direction of the superintendent or school board. With that direction, the superintendent and/or board have violated the ordinance. Would the town want the superintendent and/or school board members cited or fined? 

On another path, what would such an action do to relations between two governmental units? Let's hypothetically say the town council took such an action, and as a result of the town council being perceived by the school corporation as unnecessarily involving itself in school corporation business, the school corporation denies the town any use of corporation facilities. What would the town council do then, and who ultimately wins and loses? This could go on and on, but you could say that the council could pass an ordinance that prohibits any school within its boundaries from denying the town use of its facilities... And the beat goes on!

I know all of this seems pretty far-fetched, but I wonder what happens when one governmental unit takes action that is in direct opposition to another unit of government. One could say that the state does this all of the time with school corporations, but we have to remember that the relationship of the state to the school corporations is that they ultimately have the power of the purse because the general assembly determines school funding every two years.

Edited by Holy Cow, 20 March 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#87 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

http://www.aol.com/a...Lid=-1132230103

This is why I think the RAPTOR system that is being put in so many schools is absolutely worthless.   Raptor screens primarily for sex offenders ----- I have never heard of a sex offender going into a school and molesting a child.  There are just too many adults around -- teachers, administrators, custodians, etc.  Not saying it hasn't ever happened, but in my opinion there are far greater threats to teachers and students than a sex offender.   Most of the time you find the sex offenders lurking outside a school or a play area or grabbing a child on their walk home from school --- they don't go into a school and molest a child inside.   And in the video posted above, a security screening system didn't work anyway because the person just walked on by the office area and into the school.   Anyone who wants to go into a school to do harm to a teacher or a child is NOT going to stop at any screening point and give someone their drivers license.   They will either just walk on by or shoot their way in.   Perhaps money should be spent on additional security officers in schools rather than a useless computer screening system. 

#88 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

What happens if the parent / visitor just says ......no?

#89 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

IM, I neither work for GCS or any other school system for that matter, and I try to be careful to not promote the administration or condemn the administration regarding the work done in schools. I am simply saying that while you are entitled to your opinion that the system is not of value, I too am entitled to provide narrative otherwise. 

We agree on supporting the SRO program that places police officers in schools and believe that we should have as many schools staffed with SRO's as possible. 

#90 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

Yes, we agree about the resource officers.   At least they might be able to stop someone wishing to do harm to a teacher/student.  A computer program won't stop anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users