Photo

Illegal Computer Checks to Enter a GCCS building/Senior Law Enforcement Officials Say It Does Not Provide Safety

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Operation Raptor
Central Government Check Points

Law enforcement and attorney sources are saying that retired
officers will be hired to maintain these "central government check points".
The cost will be substantial and ongoing.
NCIC and IDACS  checks will be run
instantaneously against persons
at the check points.

There is no reasonable suspicion  nor probable cause test applied.
Each entering person will be detained and forced to submit against their will.
This is not a weapons scan like at an airport, but a background search!
Lawyers and law enforcement officers with
long time experience are shocked.

Edited by Savile Row, 13 March 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#22 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Operation Raptor
Central Government Check Points

brought to you by:
Greater Clark County Schools!

Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS):

The Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS) is a computerized law enforcement/criminal justice communications and information storage and retrieval system. This system is designed to serve as a tool in providing more effective and efficient law enforcement for both the citizens of this State and, through interfacing with the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer, and the International Justice and Public Safety Network (Nlets) computer, the Nation as a whole.

http://www.in.gov/idacs/

No probable cause. No reasonable  suspicion. You are just entering a school.
Remember no one is allowed entry now unless they go through the office and are picking up their child, etc.
These are not hardened defensible positions that armed personel can defend.
A deranged active shooter just blasts his way in.
Only the average person going to the school will be impacted.
Will this be subsequently expanded to include all school functions?
It is shocking.

Edited by Savile Row, 13 March 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#23 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Armed SRO's (School Resource Officers) are very important in many schools.

They can be vital to enhance security. They may not actually deter an armed crazy but allow a quick response.

The idea for these Central Government Check Points to be used against citizens

does not provide safety and is an unwarranted intrusion.

Many persons in law enforcement think this

"background check point idea" is terrible and does

not provide real safety.

Why was this withheld from the public and not discussed?

Edited by Savile Row, 13 March 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#24 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Wow.  It keeps getting stupider. 

• grammy likes this

#25 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

What kind of information will a background check like this show?  
This will NOT prevent violence.  Are they going to provide security after school hours when anyone can walk into the gym?  What type of offenses will lead to a person being denied access?

Edited by karen, 13 March 2015 - 04:55 PM.

• Tina likes this

#26 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N69f8TsMqCk

Looks to me like the only one gaining from this system is Raptor.    They must have some really good salesmen.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 13 March 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#27 hoppy

hoppy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

New Albany-Floyd has had the system since 2011.

#28 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

So how many "bad guys" has New Albany Floyd caught?     Just because NA/FC does it, does that mean GCCS has to?   "Monkey see ---- Monkey do"???

#29 hoppy

hoppy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Just stated a fact. Sorry I gave some info.

#30 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

No --- don't be sorry.   Do you know when this was approved at a Board meeting?   I looked back through several months agendas and could find nothing.  Perhaps I overlooked it.   Would like to know when it was approved and what the cost is.

#31 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

This just about takes the cake. Stupid as it gets.

I was at Charlestown High School today and there was a group of people looking at a computer on the main desk. They were learning something and bet this is it. Hope they felt real safe as I followed a student in without ringing the buzzer. Don't usually do that but was wet and cold.
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#32 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

This just about takes the cake. Stupid as it gets.

I was at Charlestown High School today and there was a group of people looking at a computer on the main desk. They were learning something and bet this is it. Hope they felt real safe as I followed a student in without ringing the buzzer. Don't usually do that but was wet and cold.

Word is they were reading ClarkCountyChatter.com.

Edited by kelley, 13 March 2015 - 08:24 PM.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Quasar and 3 others like this

#33 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

Are many secretaries that maintain the "front desk" at GCCS's
19 schools  being required to do these Mandatory Background Checks
on Monday morning..... This is in addition to
their current responsibilities?

Are some players in the school power broker game  "excited" about this?

:phone:

The secretaries may be somewhat less than thrilled.....Do they have certified IDACS/NCIC
clearance to run these checks and view the results? Law enforcement statutory "authority"
to deny access to the building or their children
or teachers for meetings?
Standards?
Basis?
Have they
attended
the academy
and been

certified?
Legal consequences....?

You can't make this up.
Did NO ONE currently on the school board question this or publicly address this issue?

:poke: :no:

Edited by Savile Row, 13 March 2015 - 11:16 PM.

• karen likes this

#34 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Well, I went back through the Board Docs for the past few months and found the details:

First, at the 3/3 meeting, the claims register shows that a check was issued to Raptor Technologies in the amount of $33,600 for screening equipment.

At the 2/3 meeting the Superintendent made the following recommendation to purchase the Raptor system for all schools:

"The Raptor Security System would be used by the schools to screen visitors and print visitor badges.  The visitor will present their driver's license to the secretary who will scan it into the system.  The system does a quick background check on the visitor.  If the visitor has a record for putting students at risk, the system can telephone, e-mail or send a text to the principal and SRO.  It prints the badge with the current date on it so the visitor can't use it to get in via another door on a different day.  Scott Stewart, Steve Hobgood and Tom Dykiel viewed this system at New Albany/Floyd in December and were impressed with what it does.  It's an internet hosted subscription which utilizes local hardware such as scanners and printers.  The total cost for 21 units is $33,600 and there will be an annual access fee of $480 per location or $10,080."

What this REALLY is, in my opinion, is a waste of time and money to give someone a false sense of security.  The only one gaining from this system is Oscar Parada (the owner of Raptor!).

#35 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

The school system has no right to ask me for my drivers license, if they interfere with me picking up my child, I will be tempted to call the police.

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#36 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

http://illinoisrevie...l-security.html

As I said -- the ONLY one gaining from this is Oscar Parada!   He must be laughing all the way to the bank at how stupid our educators are.

I wonder if GCCS plans to do this at every theater performance, band concert, school program, basketball game, etc. etc.    Has GCCS had a problem with sex offenders in schools in the past???   Will certain school board members be denied access to buildings due to criminal backgrounds?   Will we allow people on probation into the schools?

#37 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

"If the visitor has a record for putting students at risk..."

To how many people could this possibly apply? Seriously. How many individuals is this expensive, intrusive set-up going to screen out? Does it have to be GCCS students that were put at risk? Will all previous school shooters - you know, the dead and/or arrested ones - be kept out? Who else?

Edited by kelley, 14 March 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#38 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

As I said,.......Oscar is laughing all the way to the bank!!    :yes: :yes:

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 14 March 2015 - 10:52 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#39 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Well, I went back through the Board Docs for the past few months and found the details:

First, at the 3/3 meeting, the claims register shows that a check was issued to Raptor Technologies in the amount of $33,600 for screening equipment.

At the 2/3 meeting the Superintendent made the following recommendation to purchase the Raptor system for all schools:

"The Raptor Security System would be used by the schools to screen visitors and print visitor badges. The visitor will present their driver's license to the secretary who will scan it into the system. The system does a quick background check on the visitor. If the visitor has a record for putting students at risk, the system can telephone, e-mail or send a text to the principal and SRO. It prints the badge with the current date on it so the visitor can't use it to get in via another door on a different day. Scott Stewart, Steve Hobgood and Tom Dykiel viewed this system at New Albany/Floyd in December and were impressed with what it does. It's an internet hosted subscription which utilizes local hardware such as scanners and printers. The total cost for 21 units is $33,600 and there will be an annual access fee of $480 per location or $10,080."

What this REALLY is, in my opinion, is a waste of time and money to give someone a false sense of security. The only one gaining from this system is Oscar Parada (the owner of Raptor!).

You have the votes handy? Count and who?

#40 Newbomb

Newbomb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

The school system has no right to ask me for my drivers license, if they interfere with me picking up my child, I will be tempted to call the police.

So you would rather the school allow your student to leave with anyone who walks through the door that requests to sign out your child than to show your ID?  The schools are required to confirm that the person signing the student out is legally allowed to have them.  I do not know all of the details of the Raptor system so I do not want to comment on it yet, but I do not see a problem with the school requiring to see your ID to confirm your identity to sign out your child.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users