Photo

Could Danny Rodden be "off the hook" like a red snapper?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Lol. Read the paper. Came here looking for the "told you so."
  • Pesty Version 2 likes this

#42 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

I get that... but here's the thing. The day that Rodden started trading his work for tax payer dollars... he made his actions the taxpayers business. People should discuss it as much as they want...

Who knows... It may just help keep some other power broker that's sucking at the public teat on the straight and narrow...  :thumbsup:

This is exactly why this is public business-he was a employee of the citizens whose tax dollars paid his salary and sadly will continue to pay him with a pension. We already know what is going to happen here, he is going to get a slap on the hand-told he was a "bad boy", given a tiny fine and sent on his merry way!  Its how the good ole boy system works around here.  He knowingly did something that he knew darn well was wrong, he was just not thinking with the brain at the top of his body.  He knowingly and purposefully gave someone a badge and the permission to impersonate an officer-which to my knowledge is a crime in and of itself, so seeing as he was the one who gave her the badge and told her to impersonate and officer, should he not be charged with such?  Not gonna happen..as I said, he's gonna get a slap on the hand-he may even like that :whistle:.

• grammy likes this

#43 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

A lot of you jailhouse lawyers seem to know a lot about federal court as well as federal law. How many of you have actually practiced law in federal court! Federal court is entirely different from the county court good ole boy system.

#44 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

Agree Ray... Feds are not the good ole boys, whole different ball game!!
Jailhouse Lawyers... Good one🎓

#45 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

WDRB is reporting that Rodden got... 2 years probation... $4,000 fine... 

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - Former Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden has been sentenced after pleading guilty to charges that he lied to FBI officials.

Rodden was sentenced to two years of probation, community service and a $4,000 fine.

#46 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Well I called that one-slap on the hand!  Love the prosecutor's comments, "I think this sends a strong message to law enforcement officers"  yeah sure does-it says...You can break the law if you are a law enforcement officer and get you a high priced well televised lawyer.  What was up with the priests walking out around Rodden and Wilder while exiting the courthouse?  Is that supposed to make us have a higher opinion of Rodden and Wilder?

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#47 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

" The ruling could have been more severe, but a recent Supreme Court decision changed the sentencing guideline range he faced, tying the hands of prosecutors.

"They redefined 'tangible objects' to mean anything capable of storing records, as opposed to objects which are tangible, so when they did that, the sentencing guideline range changed markedly, and really we were with a probationary sentence in the case," said Brad Blackington of the U.S. Attorney's Office."- from the story cited by Quasar. 

i.e. a red snapper ain't a 'tangible object'.  

#48 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

" The ruling could have been more severe, but a recent Supreme Court decision changed the sentencing guideline range he faced, tying the hands of prosecutors.

"They redefined 'tangible objects' to mean anything capable of storing records, as opposed to objects which are tangible, so when they did that, the sentencing guideline range changed markedly, and really we were with a probationary sentence in the case," said Brad Blackington of the U.S. Attorney's Office."- from the story cited by Quasar. 

i.e. a red snapper ain't a 'tangible object'.  

The stars sure did align to save his bacon...

I don't know the man or his habits... but if he's a regular church attending type of guy it sure paid off... if not, maybe he should consider taking it up!  :yes:

#49 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

What does "tangible" mean? I thought I knew...

#50 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

Kelley, I caint 'splain it. But the SCOTUS can if you read the link I posted back there on page one.

#51 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

At least he resigned his position as soon as this came to light rather than continue until the end of his term.   Can't say the same for another elected official who refused to resign.   A new law is about to be signed which will remove elected officials after they plead guilty to a felony  so we don't have to suffer for another few years waiting for their term to end.

#52 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

At least he resigned his position as soon as this came to light rather than continue until the end of his term.   Can't say the same for another elected official who refused to resign.   A new law is about to be signed which will remove elected officials after they plead guilty to a felony  so we don't have to suffer for another few years waiting for their term to end.

Nope-he did not resign..he retired the day before he was charged...I am sure that was at the advise of his lawyer so that he could still get his pension if he was found guilty.  Personally I think that ANY individual who is a federal, state, local employee or elected official who is charged with a crime and found guilty should be ineligible to receive a pension.  If they contributed to a 401K or 403B, etc., then they can get their contributions but any contributions made by their employer or taxpayers is taken away!  I guess this just tells is that since it is ok for a law enforcement officer to give a badge to a hooker and tell them to show the badge and get a discount room rate, then its ok if joe blow buys a fake badge on the internet and impersonates a cop to get what he wants too.  Just tell your lawyer to bring up Rodden versus Feds

• firefly1937 likes this

#53 Buford T Justice

Buford T Justice

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

"Rodden vs the Feds"? Like Pesty stated, this ruling has nothing to do with Rodden (and local politics)per say. The ruling came from the Supreme Court. Rodden just needs to thank his lucky stars this happened because he benefited greatly. I agree its a disgrace to the Sheriff's Office, but I can't be upset with his sentence. Everyday local courts let people walk with light sentences. I can't expect it to be different just because it's a high profile case. Either way he's a convicted criminal and always will be from now on..

#54 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Danny got charged, admitted his crime, may have benefited from a clarification of the law, plead guilty, and was sentenced. Let the man and his family now live in peace.

• Donna and Big Bopper like this

#55 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

It's bothersome that his behavior has been categorized as an "affair"
It was solicitation in prostitution ...
  • grammy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic