224 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

What do you folks think about this?

Obama is making a deal that permits Iran to have nukes. 

Iran's stated objective is to annihilate Israel. 

Israel says it can't allow this. 

Anyone see or hear Netanyahu today? He made a lot of sense... obviously hit a lot of nerves.... the Democrats are flipping out... 

I believe that we should be standing with Israel... 

• jiyabird and apirateatheart like this

#2 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Iran's stated objective is to annihilate Israel. 

Israel says it can't allow this. 

'Nuff said. Good luck Israel. Let us know how it works out.

• kelley, Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

http://m.foreignaffa...gling-alliances

#4 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

Sorry Tina... this isn't about you specifically... many others do the same thing... 

I simply won't click on a link that is posted with no introduction or description to gain my interest... 

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

Netanyahu is the Israeli version of Dick Cheney.  Both warmongers and both compelled to lie to achieve war.  Remember, Netanyahu assured the US that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction that included bio-chemicals, and that the US must invade. 

Netanyahu's sole purpose in speaking to Congress was to offer a better plan, except he forgot to have a plan.  Nada!  Nothing!  His only plan is to get re-elected.  In an unpatriotic, if not downright treasonous act, Boehner "invited" him or succumbed to the desire to oppose POTUS. 

Dems are flipping out with glee!

• snowman and Persona Non Grata like this

#6 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Netanyahu is the Israeli version of Dick Cheney.  Both warmongers and both compelled to lie to achieve war.  Remember, Netanyahu assured the US that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction that included bio-chemicals, and that the US must invade. 

Netanyahu's sole purpose in speaking to Congress was to offer a better plan, except he forgot to have a plan.  Nada!  Nothing!  His only plan is to get re-elected.  In an unpatriotic, if not downright treasonous act, Boehner "invited" him or succumbed to the desire to oppose POTUS. 

Dems are flipping out with glee!

That's a pretty amazing view. I listened to a lot of the speech today... I don't believe this man wants a war... I do believe that he thinks that Iran will follow up with their stated intention of attempting to destroy Israel. I agree that our actions appear to be giving Iran a path to the bomb. I do not understand why we helping Iran get the bomb... Did you watch or listen to the speech? Read the transcript? Just wondering if you are commenting on his speech or just the propaganda surrounding the speech?

You may have forgotten that the legislative branch of government is a coequal part of our government, in other words Congress does not report to the king... yet.... treasonous huh? geez...  Boehner was well within his rights to do what he did... I'm glad that we got to hear the other side of the story... 

Dems are flipping with glee? We obviously read different publications... Netanyahu spoke a lot of hard cold truth today, I hope that maybe some people that want to arm Iran with nukes will give his comments some serious consideration. 

Lets not forget the fact that Iran is a terrorist country that is interested in promoting terror. I don't see how anyone can support a nuked up Iran... 

• caroltype6, CityBoy, jiyabird and 1 other like this

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:30 PM

No one is supporting a "nuked up Iran" or any other country.  That's why the US was engaged in diplomacy.   What other side of the story?  Netanyahu wants to be re-elected, Boehner wants to embarrass the POTUS, invites Netanyahu to speak on the House floor, putting diplomatic efforts at risk.  If you think we have the ability to completely deny ANY country seeking nuclear capacity, you are wrong.  "Let's not forget the fact" that Netanyahu claimed Iraq had nuclear capabilities and bio-chem warfare.  That didn't turn out so well, for US or the Iraqis and it was a LIE!

Yes, I read the transcript.  Where did he state his "plan?"  What is "the other side of the story?"  Israel feels threatened, wants the US to do something about it.  When hasn't Israel felt threatened?  What can the US do about that?  Another war?  Spearheaded by the US at a cost to our military and treasury, based on lies?  What was Netanyahu's "cold, hard truth?"  Nobody wants to "give" Iran nuclear weapons.

Q, I suspect the two of us will NEVER agree on politics and "we obviously read different publications" but don't try to diminish my input by suggesting that I just read propaganda.

• snowman likes this

#8 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Q, I suspect the two of us will NEVER agree on politics and "we obviously read different publications" but don't try to diminish my input by suggesting that I just read propaganda.

I agree.

I wasn't trying to "diminish" your input... I thought it was a legitimate question given the content of your post. I'm sorry if you were offended, that was not my intent. 

#9 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

2015-03-02-b7e7208f_large.jpg

• Quasar, Lady Phoenix and woo like this

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Sorry Tina... this isn't about you specifically... many others do the same thing... 

I simply won't click on a link that is posted with no introduction or description to gain my interest...

Sorry, I was on my phone when I posted.

It's an article written for Foreign Affairs magazine in 1970.

The reason I linked it:

"It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world": it was George Washington's Farewell Address to us. The inaugural pledge of Thomas Jefferson was no less clear: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none."

Given that Thomas Jefferson is my favorite President, I have to say his words are wise.

#11 usmcdd

usmcdd

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'm not sure exactly in history when it became okay to allow a foreign leader to come in our Congress and lecture us about the decisions we make as a country to protect our best interests. Netanyahu is backed into a corner and pleading for a way out. He knows he has pull and attempting to get the US to fight his war for him, another "Holy War" at that. Both countries have religious terrorism issues and are not liked in much of the international community. This happened previously in 2007 with Syria and Israel just bombed it into oblivion. They're very capable of handling their own wars.

We should continue to work with Iran with realistic expectations and. Nuclear technology is 70 years old. Iran will figure it out one way or the other and I believe it best if were informed and aware of when that happens so we can react appropriately and informed. 

Edited by usmcdd, 03 March 2015 - 07:41 PM.

• snowman, Donna and Persona Non Grata like this

#12 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

I think you make a valid point.  However, I wasn't pleased when British Prime Minister David Cameron lobbied congressmen to refrain from passing Iran sanctions.  Hope you were equally exercised over that meddling on behalf of Obama.

#13 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

Why does Israel spy on the USA?  I never understood that from a 'permanent ally'. 

http://www.newsweek....document-262991

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 03 March 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• Donna likes this

#14 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

Why does Israel spy on the USA?  I never understood that from a 'permanent ally'. 

I agree... but then again... it's proven that the United States spies on everyone... 

• apirateatheart and Donna like this

#15 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Just bugs me.  With all the aid we give Israel.   Plus, I haven't actually heard of the US spying on them like the J. Pollard case and stuff. If we do spy, I kinda think it's ok since we pump so much money into the place. 

On another front,  I watched the first half of the speech.  He was quite clear that Obama had provided massive immediate support when asked.

Ok, I found this: LINK

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 03 March 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#16 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

Meanwhile,  I challenge the claim that "Obama" is 'making a deal to let Iran develop Nuclear weapons".    The diplomatic initiative has been

going on for a long time and before the Obama administration.  I'm no foreign policy brainiac, but it seems pretty obvious that the wise course

is to maintain a situation where you try to both limit what Iran develops and maintain the ability to verify what is going on.  

Russia borders the north of Iran and it's a difficult course. I don't think you can turn Iran to glass without starting WWIII with Russia.  

Then there is the fact that inside Iraq ...you have some of the most Western thinking people in that region. (mostly those who claim

Persian ethnicity).  Iraq is not a hopeless case. They offered to help us viz the Taliban in 2002. 

One thing for sure, I am not smart or informed enough to call it.  The good news is we have masters in the State department. 

• RiverFox, snowman and Donna like this

#17 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

This polling from the Times of Israel...  looks like the people of Israel aren't all that concerned with the Iranian threat. 

Article-3-Chart-6.jpg

#18 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

And when he argued that Iran and ISIS are heads of the same beast, it began to sound awfully familiar, much like when George W. Bush argued that al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein must be working together (and let’s not forget that Netanyahu was an enthusiastic supporter of the Iraq War, which dramatically increased Iran’s power and influence in the Middle East).

This is the Republican foreign policy perspective, as much now as it ever was: there is only black and white, no complexity, no compromise, and all enemies are the same. Iran is literally fighting ISIS in Iraq right now, but Netanyahu wants everyone to believe that they’re going to join together to take over the world. “When it comes to Iran and ISIS, the enemy of your enemy is your enemy,” he said. Matt Duss, the head of the Foundation for Middle East Peace, called it the Islamist Voltron Theory.

http://www.washingto...ies-any-favors/

This has to be it, Bibi is worried that he will not get re-elected... his countrymen do not consider Iran the big threat that he does. His accepting the invitation to speak before Congress, despite all of the reasons why he should not go, was his way of trying to scare up some voters back home.

• Donna likes this

#19 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

And exactly when did Mr. Netanyahu share his motivations with you?

#20 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Did he come to Washington to reveal any new information?  No

Did he come to reveal some grand plan?  No

The whole world was his stage and... nothing.

His election is in 2 weeks... polls don't look good. His opponent has been making the economy his main focus, and that's what the majority of Israelis want. His opponent believes in peace with the Palestinians... a 2-state solution.  It's the only way really for Israel to co-exist there. They've made all their neighbors their enemy.  Bibi got big problems, and I'm glad.  He needs to be gone. Bring on the new guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users