woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

I remember it well.

http://www.wdrb.com/...ornado-outbreak

This is why ALL schools should be built with a shelter in the center of the building.

http://www.safesheds.com/

Edited by woo, 02 March 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

I too remember it well...

I had two kids attending Henryville Jr/Sr High School... I remember being surprised that around 7am that morning seeing the National Weather Service forecast tornado activity between exit 16 and exit 19 for that afternoon. I had never seen anyone predict a tornado that far in advance and with what turned out to be such extreme accuracy... I called the school to ask what their plan was... they said it was business as usual. I still had a bad feeling about the weather so I went and got my kids at noon and took them to a relatives home in New Albany... I didn't want them at our house which was in the forecast target zone... Our house was fine... didn't even lose a shingle... 

My brother however... lives in Pekin and his house was completely removed from his property... matter of fact, we never did find the roof... even after a search of all nearby properties we never found it... that still amazes me... 

• Oldgoat, JHS1982 and Tina like this

#3 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

After the 74 tornado, I found cancelled checks on our farm between charlestown and Sellersburg from Brandonburg, ky. Also a perfect stop sign, ripped off the post.
  • Quasar and JHS1982 like this

#4 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

The power of Mother Nature is unbelievable. Had a cousin go through the '74 tornado in Hanover. He was a school teacher who had just gotten home from school, pulled in the driveway, got out of the car, & saw the storm heading across the field towards his new home & development. With no basement, he had just enough time to grab the family cat & take shelter in a closet in the center of the house. The ONLY thing left standing of his family's home was the four walls of that closet......everything else was leveled!! Fortunately, he was the only one home at the time. He didn't realize it, but the family cat TORE HIM TO SHREDS while he held it as the tornado destroyed his family's home. A guardian angel was watching over him & the family cat that day. How they survived is beyond our wildest imagination!!

Besides the four walls of the closet being the only remaining portion of the home left standing, I saw one other thing that STILL to this day amazes me: My cousin's Chevy Impala sitting it the driveway with a 2x6 driven through the driver's side door, all the way through & out the passenger side door as if it were a pair of wings for the car. It was as if the holes for the 2x6 were precision cut through both doors and the car. The wind speed to do that (and not have the 2x6 disintegrate) had to be tremendous!! Yes.......Mother Nature can be beautiful........but she can be a mean B I T C H, too!!!

Stay safe in this winter storm, Chatter friends. Hopefully it will be a bust!!!

Rod Daily
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users