93 replies to this topic

#81 Tom Kendrick

Tom Kendrick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

That is great Tom. I look forward to your responses.

I agree that the old administration did things differently so no reason to talk about them even though everyone will.  He had different hours but he also put his home phone number on the building and would meet people whenever they wanted to outside of the office hours.  It would be interesting to know how often people really come up there outside of the normal hours that were listed before.

That is interesting that it is the 2014 budget that you are working under.  I guess pretty much everything we were discussing with Frank about how you were changing what money was spent on wasn't appropriate if the budget was set to a "surplus" by the previous administration already.

Not the 2014 budget --- we are working off the 2015 budget set in 2014 -- by the previous administrator and board . What do you mean by a "surplus" ?

#82 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Not the 2014 budget --- we are working off the 2015 budget set in 2014 -- by the previous administrator and board . What do you mean by a "surplus" ?

First comment on the board by Frank was this:

"Since January 1st, the Charlestown Trustee Board has met three times. In these three meetings, I can proudly report, that we have been incredibly productive. In our short time together we have elected officers, reviewed the previous office expenditures, and set the annual budget. For quite some time the Trustee 's Office has operated in a deficit. This means that we have been spending money that we just don't have. However, we have structured the budget to get on track to a surplus again. We need to have money. If we get the Trustee's Office into a surplus we can have the resources to further assist the downtrodden in our community, support a "rainy day" fund, and begin to gather interest to make even more.

Looks like he is saying that you all structured the budged to get to a surplus again but you are saying you are using the prior trustee's budget.  

Yeah I said 2014 but I meant the budget they set for you for 2015.

Edited by CtownMan, 10 March 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#83 Tom Kendrick

Tom Kendrick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

I just hope the board realizes that the office of the trustee is tho help the citizens of Charlestown not to get into the savings and investments business,remodeling or rental property business , I have no doubt Tom will do the right thing for the people as for the others, Ruthie I have known her my whole life she has always tried to help people regardless of her political affiliation I believe instead of studying books from the state Mr Glover would find himself much more efficient if he studied the people of Charlestown and what can be done to help them now such as job banks etc so the office doesn't find themselves assisting some of the same citizens, stop giving them a hand out give them a hand up.

Thanks - Ron for the positive comments - the office will not be remodeled to be a "taj Mahal " only functional ---- we have general maintanence issues -- ie the toilet leaks - we have mold - ceiling tiles out - only 2 lights work (hard to run an office when you can't read the files)  - water leaks - furnace issues ---cracks in the wall /paint peeling -- the front door is cracked -- I will give anyone a free tour - walk by and look at the side of the building - front door side - cracked brick- I believe it would be irresponsible not to repair an asset -- repairing will be more cost effective - long term than - selling and renting ---- but that option is being explored !

We are also not in the investment or savings business -- but a surplus is necessary -- you have to keep enoughin reserve  to make it until the money comes in 2x's per year ---Dec and June .  

Now as to the upstairs - I would like for it to create an income --- to help fix up the office or --- to use for township assistance --- I don't want to be in the rental business --- but I am charged with tryng to find every available resource --- income from that (upstairs rental) - maybe use for building maintainence - which makes more money for assistance.

#84 Tom Kendrick

Tom Kendrick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Ctown man I'm about to be done - for tonight - I have no problem engaging in public discussion - but I will stay positive. Hard for me to speak for Frank and had I gotten on here sooner - the issues would have been clearer- I had an issue w/ being able to get access - then laptop trouble. Again I won't venture to speak for Frank ---- but I'll put some budget numbers up

I'm sure changes would have been made ---- but you can't keep spending down your surplus ---- I believe you ask in an earlier post - how much $ do we need --- yes $146,000 sounds like plenty --- but according to the budget thats about 6 months of operating expenses --- most of the money to run the office comes in 2 chunks --JUNE and Dec ---- this has to last - if there would be a funding problem -(ie June taxes late) then we would not be able to assist -- because we would not have the funds ------ this has been a long term problem - yes there was a good surplus - not any more --- The link below will get you to all the numbers -- Sorry I couldn't get the numbers to line up - our 2016 budget has to change - -- We will not take away from Township assistance -- everyone is being helped - our monthly average asst. will be equal to or greater than it was --- except for a couple of months.

https://gateway.ifio...report_builder/                      

Beg Cash
& Inv Bal
Jan 1, 2012
$339,140.46

End Cash
& Inv Bal
Dec 31, 2014

$146,450.82

Edited by Tom Kendrick, 10 March 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#85 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the transparency Tom.

#86 RuthieJ

RuthieJ

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

I would like to clear up a few misconceptions. The Trustee's office would NEVER give out information of our clients to anyone . To insinuate that I or anyone in the office would do that is wrong.

I would never give out information to help someone further their political career, my self included.

I am a Bob Hall Supporter and I did work for Bob. But that does not mean I do not think on my own and make my own decisions.

My family and I have done everything we can to help those in need, be it through the NCOC, the Elf Tree, Coat Giveaway, Bike Giveaway, through fires, tornadoes, ice storms, hurricanes and family tragedies.

I do not do this for the glory or for any other individual. I do it because I know what it's like to need a hand up. I cannot fathom the thought of a child or adult going to bed hungry or cold due to no cause of their own.

That's why I do what I do.

I am very happy to be a part of Tom Kendrick's team. We have the same goal and drive. To help those in our community who need a hand up.

If you have a different opinion of me, that's your right. But please do not insinuate that I would help further some ones political career at the expense of someone in need.

I look forward to the next 4 years and working at the Trustee's Office.

#87 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

RuthieJ,I must have missed the part where someone insinuated that you did or would do something wrong in the Township Trustee office.
There is no need to defend yourself,when no one has accused you.
I ask Tom a question, he was gracious enough to answer,he stated that Bob Hall has nothing to do with his office and that hiring you and John Spencer had nothing to do with Bob Hall.(despite the amazing coincidence that in a township as large as ours,both of his hire's happen to have worked or now work for Bob Hall)(Tom himself stated he would ask the same questions)I thank Tom for giving me an answer and as far as I am concerned, I will believe what Tom has stated,until proven otherwise.
Good Luck in the next 4 years.

#88 RuthieJ

RuthieJ

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

City Boy,I think you may be correct in the reasoning that Mr. Spencer will give information in the Data Base to Bob Hall.

I am certain that Bob Hall will use the names of the people who have requested help from the Trustee's Office to further his own political ambitions.

Watch out Charlestown,there is an old adage that says "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

There is no question that Bob Hall wants absolute power!

For Charlestown's sake I sure hope Tom Kendrick will re-evaluate his help and realize that he was the person elected to the position of Township Trustee and not Mayor Hall!

This is the insinuating I was speaking of.

#89 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

I ask Tom a question, he was gracious enough to answer,he stated that Bob Hall has nothing to do with his office and that hiring you and John Spencer had nothing to do with Bob Hall.(despite the amazing coincidence that in a township as large as ours,both of his hire's happen to have worked or now work for Bob Hall)(Tom himself stated he would ask the same questions)I thank Tom for giving me an answer

As far as I am concerned, I will believe what Tom has stated,until proven otherwise.

Contradictory statements.  It's obvious you don't believe Mr. Kendrick, but act like it under the veil of respect for his father.

It's also possible for Person A to support Person B and be their own individual as Ruthie noted.  Guilt by association shouldn't apply to judging someone's integrity..

#90 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

RuthieJ,the above post was made before Tom responded and despite the amazing coincidence that of all the people in Charlestown Township he picked both you and John,without influence is nearly beyond belief.

I am not a betting man,but I would love to see the odds of that happening and have had a chance to place a small wager.

I may have been able to donate my winnings to the needy of Charlestown and all the Township Trustee monies could have been kept for your Rainy Day Fund.

Again,I am taking Tom as a man of his word.

RuthieJ,sometimes when a person defends themselves too much,it can be preceived as being guilty,even if they are not.

Best of luck.

#91 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

NotBanned,just because something is obvious to you,does not mean it can not be oblivious to others.

A person who continues to support Bob Hall,despite his lies and the way he treats those who disagree with him,maybe need to question their own integrity.

#92 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

Feel free to discuss issues and ideas, however if this has become nothing more than beating each other up I'll have to lock the thread. The choice is yours... 

• GrumpyGranny and RuthieJ like this

#93 RuthieJ

RuthieJ

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

Well, I've only defended myself once, if that's too much for you and you think I look guilty, I feel your opinion was made a long time ago, so I'll move on and keep doing what I'm doing for this great place I call home....

#94 Newbomb

Newbomb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

Mr. Kendrick, I have a few questions that I believe need clarification after reading through the previous posts.  The following are quotes from Frank on a previous post:  

"As to what we have decided to cut, that would largely be the donations to various groups until such a time as we have an operational budget."

"As to what money will be moved, there are a few income sources that will be moved from Assistance and into the general. After discussion with the SBA and as a group we decided these things would be most beneficial."

Tom, can you please explain which charitable groups have been cut from the budget?  Are there any groups that will now be getting a donation instead of the groups in the previously approved budget or will those funds be placed into the "rainy day fund" as previously mentioned by Frank, or possibly somewhere else?   

I do not understand how money could be moved form the "assistance" budget into the "general" budget, but Frank stated that after speaking with the State Board of Accounts that they allowed the office to do that.  Can you please explain the reasoning behind cutting assistance and placing money into the general budget as allowed by State Board of Accounts, as I thought once the budget was approved, the funds could not be transferred between the two funds or is that incorrect?  

Also, could you give us a little more information about the website that is being created?  Do you know how much the start up costs will be for the website and how much the site will cost to maintain monthly/yearly?  Thank you in advance for your answers and clarification on these topics.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users