93 replies to this topic

#21 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the answers.  I think it is great that you are willing to come on here to answer questions that we have. 

I still think it is unwise to come on here and say that you are getting the office back on track when we do not know why it was ran at a deficit last year. I think it could be possible that Ernie did exactly what you are saying that you want to do by building a surplus over time and then last year spent some of it when people needed help.  

By looking at the city numbers on that same website, it looks like the entire city of Charlestown has been ran at a deficit the last few years as well.

I also think you did not address the fact that 146K was left to you all when that seems like a pretty nice surplus to me.

Edited by CtownMan, 01 March 2015 - 02:13 PM.

• Donna likes this

#22 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

That could possibly be the case, but that doesnt change the fact that by cutting spending to organizations we can still save money. Also, we have been trying to find ways to cut office spending and Kendrick assures me that the office will be investigating thoroughly to make sure the money is only going to people who absolutely need it. Also, thats not a surplus, but left over savings. Many people get Surplus, Savings, Deficits and Debts confused because politicians in the news say whichever one sounds better for their arguments, I am attempting to use the accounting definitions.

I cant comment on the City and Im not sure this is the place for such a discussion. However, I have studied several stacks of paper the size of text books to prepare for this office and I am excited to do what I can to help this office run as efficiently as possible. I didnt bring up the deficit as a way of bashing Ernie, but merely to explain where we are and how the current administration plans to move forward.

Edited by FrGloverIII, 01 March 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#23 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Ditto to Ctown Man:  Thanks for the answers.  However, all of us don't know how to get on Gateway.  So, would you please fill in the blanks when you have the information in front of you:

Secretary is Ruthie Jackson; her current salary is _____

Investigator is John Spencer; his current salary is ____

Attorney is __________________; his/her current salary (or per/hour rate) is _____

Edited by CityBoy, 01 March 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#24 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Attorney is Tom Lowe, Ill get back to you when I have definitive numbers for salaries.

#25 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

I don't know why else you would bring up the prior trustee other than to say they weren't doing a good job.  I think we would all be better off just focusing on the current plan since we were not there during that administration.

I am pretty sure I understand what savings are vs. what a surplus is.  I know you want to have a surplus to add to the savings.  So my question is what amount of savings do we need if you do not think the 146K is not enough?

• Donna likes this

#26 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

If you look at my first post, all I said was that a deficit existed, everything after that was explaining questions. I didnt actually mention the previous trustee. I entirely want to focus on what we can do.

Well, the goal is to always break even or, better, add to savings. There is no clear number of what amount of savings is good. Our goal is to at least attempt to break even this year and then work on growing our savings in the next. It would be great if we could leave our term in office with savings that would last several years.

#27 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

If you look at my first post, all I said was that a deficit existed, everything after that was explaining questions. I didnt actually mention the previous trustee. I entirely want to focus on what we can do.

All you said?  Here is what you said:  "For quite some time the Trustee 's Office has operated in a deficit. This means that we have been spending money that we just don't have. However, we have structured the budget to get on track to a surplus again. We need to have money."

Looks like you did mention the previous Trustee and said for quite some time it has operated in a deficit and then you later said that wasn't true.  I don't understand the point of bringing that up at all if you are focused on going forward.  I really hope Tom can do what he says he wants to do but things like this do not help anybody. 

I feel like there should be more of a plan instead of just adding to savings to be adding to it.  I don't want to make it seem like I am arguing with you but if you are reading all of these stacks of papers to prepare for the office then I think we should expect the office to have a long term goal past saving money.  

• Donna likes this

#28 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

I mentioned the Office ran at a deficit, but whatever, and I didn't recant the fact that it was a deficit. I posted several instances of numbers backing up my statement. As to why bring it up? Because it is necessary to provide perspective for our current situation and how we should move forward.

I have posted in this thread several of our goals. We plan to stabilize the budget, cut spending as appropriate, create investments that can help fund the office in future years, assist individuals who truly need assistance, and stockpile savings that can help the office in the future should some large disaster strike, renovate the building the office is in so as to meet the building code and help save money on heating and cooling(doing this as funds are available since this will be a long and possibly expensive process). If these goals are not enough for you, then please let me know what else we should focus upon.

#29 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

No reason to get angry about it.  I just don't agree with you saying that the office ran in a deficit for quite some time when in 2013 it did not.  I totally agree that the spending in 2014 could not be sustained but I am sure Ernie knew that as well based on how much money was in the account.

I am still wondering about the large disaster strike...  Is this something that this office is truly responsible for and we are assuming the federal government will not help?

I think those goals are fine if that is what you told everyone you were going to do when you all ran for office.  If you ran on a platform stating that you wanted to help out more people that needed help... then I'm thinking fixing up the office doesn't benefit many people but the trustee.  Well I guess it benefits the Trustee's secretary since the Trustee still has a full time job and isn't at the office all day.

I don't think two people will ever agree on how the money is spent and that is why we elect someone to take care of it.  I think you shouldn't get mad when some of us might disagree with some of the plan.  I am glad that you are willing to come on here to discuss your plans though and I think this is helpful for others to see what the office is doing.

Edited by CtownMan, 01 March 2015 - 05:11 PM.

• Donna likes this

#30 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

Also, 104,170.14 was paid out with 11,490.32 coming in for general in 2014, 97,520 for paid out with 29,071 coming in in 2013

I wouldn't say mad, merely frustrated when I post something like this and it is ignored. Asides from this I also layed out several things that I have to repeat, but thats usual in public areas of debate.

Large disasters can be taken care of by the State or Federal Government, but we are the first line of defence in many cases. Say there is intense ice and people have problems paying their heating bills, this would be a simple example.

Fixing the office is more than 'self-serving', there is an ill placed fuse box, two heaters, bad windows which let in the cold, and holes in the ceiling. These are basic things that require maintenance.

Thank you for your support, I appreciate it.

#31 mrsrebel

mrsrebel

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Please can we just say what needs to be done for the citizens of Charlestown and not bring up what others did when they occupied that office. It truly serves no purpose to do that.

#32 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

I am sorry to have made you frustrated or have you feel like something is being ignored.  I would be glad to go back through my posts and show you all the things that I think you ignored as well if you want me to.

The total money coming in to the trustee's office per that report said $215,742 coming in and $289,753 going out so your numbers are correct but a little misleading.  I think if Tom is taking the same payroll that Ernie took then his numbers will look similar to the ones you posted since his salary would be out of the general too... and especially if the building is being updated.

Thanks for the information on the disasters.  I think that is a good example of where having money built up could help.  

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying it was self serving... I was merely stating that it is strange based on other comments.  If you are telling us that the budget is that tight then why worry about fixing the office up as soon as you get in.  

I want to thank you again for coming on here.  I have been coming to the Clark County Chatter for a long time but never thought about posting until it last night when I felt like you were doing something against what I VOTED FOR YOU ALL TO DO.  I don't understand why we can't just ignore what was done before and focus on what Tom is doing that he promised he would do.

I hope that you are not ending this topic even though it sounds like you are by your last response.  I saw that a user named "Tom Kendrick" was reading this post earlier around 5:40 but no response from him either.  I hope that we can keep this going and that Tom will respond as well.

I think we all have questions for him if he would be willing to respond on this forum.  My one main question at the moment that still hasn't been answered is that if someone that qualifies for assistance comes in after the budget runs out but we have a surplus... will that person be denied assistance.  I think that is a simple question.

• Donna likes this

#33 mrsrebel

mrsrebel

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

I'd like to think that someone runs for the trustee's office because they want to help our community. I never heard anything bad about the past trustee and I trust we'll hear nothing bad about the newly elected trustee. Can we just say that this office will endeavor to do what is best for our citizens ,thank Mr. Thompson for his service, and just get on with it?

#34 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

mrsrebel,there is "NO CHANCE" that anyone from the TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE'S office will ever say "THANK YOU" to Ernie Thompson,even if they decide he did an excellent job during his tenure as Trustee. Tom Kendrick is obviously going to let Bob Hall run his office. His two employees, Ruthie Jackson (who worked for Bob Hall and is a stonch supporter and who ran for Trustee and was defeated by Ernie twice) and John Spencer(who is employed full time by Bob Hall) are the reasons that no person,no matter how naive could deduct otherwise.

Charlestown needs to realize that Bob Hall has to have and will not stop until he has "TOTAL CONTROL" over everything that has to do with Charlestown.

The Mayor's Office is not enough,now it seems he has control of the Charlestown Township Trustee's office as well. (there are many other areas where Bob Hall proves he is a control freak,but I will save those for a latter post)

It's a sad day for people who need help from the Trustee's office,(especially if you live in Pleasant Ridge)if Bob Hall's recent history is any indicator, he has no compassion and will only aid those who he thinks will vote for him.

#35 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

Ctownman, from what I understand, yes we will continue to help people as long as we can. We merely hope to never reach such a position.

As to the past, I would be glad to focus on our current work. Honestly, I do thank Ernie, running an office can be difficult and we are much better off than New Washington where there hasnt been a budget at all for a while.

Im rather insulted, we are our own governing office. The Trustee and staff have done much to help modernize the office and expand the amount of help that people who come to us can get by recommending them to various charity organizations. Our office has nothing to do with the City except that the hard working people here have been involved in the Republican Party and perhaps the city in order to help Charlestown wherever they can. John Spencer is actually making it easier for people to access us by designing a website and linking various local Charity groups to it.

#36 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

And dont worry, ill be here from time to time. Though I do have to eat and continue studying for College haha so I naturally cant be on 24/7.

#37 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:15 PM

To Ctownman --- I know for a fact that Tom does not have another full time job - he teaches 1/2 day at Jeff Hs --- and has been on the boards minutes to retire at the end of the school year .

• FrGloverIII likes this

#38 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Just spoke with Kendrick, he's up in Indy for training. He has been following the thread but he is waiting on an account before he responds, it may be a day or so as he finishes up the seminar. He will be on to answer any questions you may have.

#39 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

Yeah Frank I think college is a little more important. Hope that is going well.

I sure don't want to get in to talking about the mayor and all of that but that is how these conversations usually turn out.

I appreciate the answers this weekend and hope we can keep getting updates from you in the future.

#40 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thank you for making an effort to keep us informed, all too often elected officials don't care.

Just stay humble and worry about the future rather than past administrations when you discuss policies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users