93 replies to this topic

#1 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I last posted anything but I wanted to bring you an updatearrow-10x10.png on some of the things that have happened since I was elected to my position. I think elected officials should attempt to keep their constituents informed, so here is my post from my Facebook page:

"Since January 1st, the Charlestown Trustee Board has met three times. In these three meetings, I can proudly report, that we have been incredibly productive. In our short time together we have elected officers, reviewed the previous office expenditures, and set the annual budget. For quite some time the Trustee 's Office has operated in a deficit. This means that we have been spending money that we just don't have. However, we have structured the budget to get on track to a surplus again. We need to have money. If we get the Trustee's Office into a surplus we can have the resources to further assist the downtrodden in our community, support a "rainy day" fund, and begin to gather interest to make even more.

We are doing great things in the Office! A big thank you to Trustee Kendrick and the rest of the Board for their exhaustive efforts to get us back on track. We promised to make this community better, and we are on the right track!

Never hesitate to stop in to the Office next to the Copper Kettle or call me on my cell at 812-207-0944."

If you have something that you would like to bring up to the board, don't hesitate to contact me.

• kelley likes this

#2 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Sounds great! Do you have an idea of when you will achieve a surplus?

#3 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

This doesn't really make any sense considering that the office gets audited by the state.  Don't you think they would have been in trouble with the state if they were spending money they did not have?

#4 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

A surplus is possible this year but by next year we will have more leeway, as to operating at a deficit, you can spend money that had been saved without getting in trouble. So while technically the money was there, it remains a deficit.

#5 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Will the paper be publishing your budget like they did last year?

#6 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

In the first post you said that we have been spending money that we don't have. Now in the next post you said the money was there. I don't see what good comes out of trying to make it sound like the former trustee was doing something wrong and then admitting that he wasn't. I'm guessing there was a surplus at some point if it has been running at a deficit recently.

I'm sure Tom is doing a good job but how is creating a surplus by not spending what is given to the city by the state to help people out really helping the city? If there are people in need is he going to tell them we cant help because we need a surplus this year? If the prior trustee spent some of his surplus to help people out then isn't that the same thing Tom wants to do in the future? I think if the money was being spent to help people then we shouldn't be bad mouthing the previous trustee online.

Thanks for coming on here to answer our questions. It is very helpful.
  • CityBoy likes this

#7 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

This site will get you to the report before it is even published - according to the State Board of Accounts it must be published in the newspaper.

https://gateway.ifio...report_builder/  Go to Annual Reports !!!!

Edited by SIwatcher, 28 February 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#8 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

Yes, we submitted last years finance report to the paper either this week or it will be sometime this week.

#9 What the What

What the What

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

"Since January 1st, the Charlestown Trustee Board has met three times. In these three meetings, I can proudly report, that we have been incredibly productive. In our short time together we have elected officers, reviewed the previous office expenditures, and set the annual budget. For quite some time the Trustee 's Office has operated in a deficit. This means that we have been spending money that we just don't have. However, we have structured the budget to get on track to a surplus again. We need to have money. If we get the Trustee's Office into a surplus we can have the resources to further assist the downtrodden in our community, support a "rainy day" fund, and begin to gather interest to make even more.

This makes no sense to me.  I went to the link that Slwatcher provided and there is already a 2015 budget.  The 2015 budgets have to be done before the end of 2014.  The budget I found doesn't look like anything is out of the ordinary, can you explain what you cut to get this "surplus".  I also can't find what you mean by operating in a deficit.  Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Trustee's office for providing relief to the poor, taking care of cemeteries, and pauper burials?   What do you plan on doing with a Rainy Day Fund?  

#10 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:44 AM

Yes, the official budget was set at the end of last year, but the spending plan can be adjusted as we go and appropriations of funds can be moved around to compensate. It may not look like much of a deficit, but cashing in Investments doesnt count as actual revenue to offset expenditures. What use is a Rainy Day Fund? Should a tornado hit, the Trustee's Office could be of help. Think of us as a miniature FEMA.

#11 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

And let me explain where to look on Gateway, under SELECT BY UNIT click on "View all reports available for a specific government unit", type in the three criteria. You should be on a page titled CHARLESTOWN TOWNSHIP GATEWAY REPORTS, under CORE FINANCIALS, click on "Cash and Investmentsarrow-10x10.png".

Receipts are incomearrow-10x10.png, Disbursements are paymentsarrow-10x10.png. What the What, this isnt what a budget should be, naturally the Trustee didnt spend nonexistent money like the federal government does, and the Trustee had every right to spend it. We chose to take a different route, and we plan to savearrow-10x10.png up our reserves as we can. 

I keep trying to paste the data here but the numbers wont stay in their table. So, hopefully you can pull up the attachment.

Attached Files

Edited by FrGloverIII, 01 March 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#12 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Can you explain how much of the investments were cashed in vs how much are still left in the account?  I don't feel like the office could have been ran at a deficit for "quite some time" without running out of money.

If I was someone who thought they might need help this year, I would be very concerned that "we chose to take a different route" to save up the reserves instead of worrying about people who are in need today.  If the office is set up for poor relief, I think that would be way more important than the remote possibility of a tornado - which we would get federal assistance for.

• Donna likes this

#13 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

For quite some time the Trustee 's Office has operated in a deficit. This means that we have been spending money that we just don't have. 

So while technically the money was there, it remains a deficit.

Huh?  This makes no sense.

#14 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

I agree with CityBoy.  To come on here and say that "for quite some time" the office has been running in a deficit is very misleading.  If you look at 2013, the receipts were 199,596 vs. disbursements of 199,678.  I guess that deficit of 82 dollars in 2013 is counting in your statement of quite some time.

If the money was in the fund, which you have agreed that it was, then I don't believe that it does anyone any good to come on here and imply that something was done wrong.  I think everyone will agree that you were implying that as well.

I know that a lot of my friends voted for Tom because he said that Ernie was not helping enough people and that he wanted to.  Your argument here is that Ernie was helping too many people and that Tom is going to help less to build a surplus.

It looks like there is still 146K left at the beginning of the year for your office as a surplus.  How much do you all think that you need?  

#15 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Mr. Glover,

I wish you and Mr. Kendrick well in your new positions.  But the following statements you made are very disturbing:

• "We have structured the budget to get on track to a surplus again." 

Please give us some details. Are you going to provide less relief to our needy citizens, so you can boast that you created a surplus?  If so, what service(s) will you cut?  If not, please explain how you will get to the surplus.

• "The spending plan can be adjusted as we go and appropriations of funds can be moved around to compensate.

‚ÄčCompensate for what?  I just don't get it.

I'm sure it's unintended, but you should realize that these statements sound like they came out of Mayor Bob Hall's playbook.

#16 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

There seems to be some confusion as to what a deficit and what a surplus are. A deficit is where you spend more than you take in, a surplus is where you dont. Saved money isnt considered. We operated at a deficit And I have access to emails from the State Board of Accounts backing this up.

As to what we have decided to cut, that would largely be the donations to various groups until such a time as we have an operational budget. Individuals will become the main priority. Having savings is always a good policy when operating an office like this. There are literally millions of things that could affect the community widespread that we may need excess funds in order to assist.

As to what money will be moved, there are a few income sources that will be moved from Assistance and into the general. After discussion with the SBA and as a group we decided these things would be most beneficial.

You may say that we should spend every dime we have to help anyone we can, but I dont agree that that is a sustainable course of action. Spending all now may mean that someone, perhaps whose needs are greater, will not receive help. This is why we have investigators, to see who really needs it and who can survive without it.

I believe I have addressed everyone's concerns, but if I missed something, please point it out.

#17 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Is there an investigator on the Trustee's payroll?  If so, who is it?  How much is he or she paid?  Besides the trustees, are there others on the payroll?  If so, who are they?  How much are they paid?

Edited by CityBoy, 01 March 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#18 CtownMan

CtownMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Can you address how moving funds from assistance to general will benefit the poor people that you are supposed to be helping with this office?  I agree that having a surplus is a good idea in case something comes up.  I just think taking it from the assistance fund is a bad way of getting there if the general fund is going to be spent on salaries and the office.  

Can you let us know if Tom is changing his salary from what Ernie was taking?

I still think you have not addressed that this office has obviously ran at a surplus in the past or it would not have been able to run in a deficit last year.

Actually I'm not sure you have answered anything I have said really.

#19 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

There is a Secretary; Ruthie Jackson, and the investigator who works evenings so as not to conflict with his city job: John Spencer. As to how much they make, I dont have that information in front of me but it will be on Gateway under "public employee compensation" once it has been updated. Currently the records show last year. I believe Ruthie makes roughly as much as Marc Thompson did. There is also a lawyer on the payroll, we negotiated cheaper terms than the previous lawyer held.

Well yes, the office must surely have run at a surplus at some point. I never said that it didnt and that it never did under Ernie. However last year was a heavy deficit. Moving funds from assistance to general is beneficial because we will be able to invest and renovate the upstairs of the Trustee's office in order to get a tenant up there who can help add to our income. Also, 104,170.14 was paid out with 11,490.32 coming in for general in 2014, 97,520 for paid out with 29,071 coming in in 2013, it was possible last year and the year before because of the savings, but we cant do it again. As to cutting assistance, it may sound bad considering the goals of the office, but allow me to give an example. Silver creek township pays out 70,590.97 and takes in 89,702.84 for general, pays 20,636.46 and takes in 48,475.54 for assistance. Sure they are smaller, but not by such a significant amount. We are confidant we will be able to help people while still cutting spending. One way of cutting spending without cutting spending for individuals would be to cut funding to churches, charities or other groups. Kendrick has talked with several of the groups, explained where we are financially and many of the organizations reported that they could operate fine without our added assistance. We believe this will make a large difference in the balancing of our budget.

I believe Kendrick was advised against cutting his pay of 30,000.

#20 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

Oh and I believe one the side titles for Trustee is also Chief Investigator or something similar. Basically, Kendrick will be assisting with the Investigating as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users