34 replies to this topic

#21 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

Or maybe they should just show up. It's a "candidate fair", not a "specific candidate fair"
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#22 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

Is taxpayer money paying for this event in any way?

#23 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

Is taxpayer money paying for this event in any way?

Do you think a politician would spend his own money to provide a venue and pay the salaries of the town employees in attendance?

• Tina and Russell Brooksbank like this

#24 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

So that everyone is aware, I was contacted today by a nice lady at the town hall and both I and Greg are officially invited to the candidate fair. Invitations are in the mail. Thankfully, someone from the elections office called them to let them know that we were running. May I take some time to send out some praise to the people that work in that office? They have always been very helpful to me. They exemplify the title "public servant". Kudos guys. Keep up the good work.
  • Donna likes this

#25 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

FYI, here is a copy of the invitation sent out a few days ago to the others:

Attached Files

Edited by TomD, 01 April 2015 - 09:02 PM.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#26 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Tom.

#27 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

One thing I noticed about the announcement is that it is not an invitation to candidates, nor is it a press release.  It's somewhere in between.  IMO, it seems to be more of an informal press release than anything else.  Although touted as being hosted by the Clarksville town council, I have not talked to anyone on the council who has been consulted about it or endorsed it. There is no 'you are invited...' language...there is no explanation of why the event is being held...just the announcement of the event. 

With the above information, is this just a publicity cheerleading event help the anointed candidates, or is it really intended for the benefit of all the candidates?  I have my opinion...what's yours?

#28 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Is this sponsored by the entire council?

Mailings were received yesterday I am told.

This is a council event?

Tom are any sitting council members taking your call? 

Could you ask??

#29 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

Is this sponsored by the entire council?

Who knows?  When popp sprung this on the council, none of them spoke up in support.  You'd have to ask the individual members of the council if they sponsor it.

Mailings were received yesterday I am told.

This is a council event?

Who knows?  It appears to be popp who is driving this bus.

Tom are any sitting council members taking your call? 

Yes.

Could you ask??

I will leave that up to you.  Their cell phone numbers are listed on the town web site.

• Donna likes this

#30 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Honestly, all things being considered, candidates should attend. it couldn't hurt to find how the who's and why's the present administraton did some of the things they did. I say go, and ask a ton of questions. I would question any phrases such as "this is how its done", etc.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, TomD and 1 other like this

#31 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Let me get this straight.  A town council member ( Not the President)

Can set up a meeting (where council members will be paid) Without

getting approval from the council???  Odd

#32 Dee Shelton Jr

Dee Shelton Jr

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:16 AM

I shall be there and will bring a note pad due to having many questions.
  • kelley likes this

#33 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

Let me get this straight.  A town council member ( Not the President)

Can set up a meeting (where council members will be paid) Without

getting approval from the council???  Odd

You can do whatever you want if you know you have the backing of three other members of the council.  Between now an the end of the year, look for instances of 'over-reach' by the lame ducks on the council...they are not running for reelection so there is no further reason to woo voters.

Edited by TomD, 04 April 2015 - 05:39 AM.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#34 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

One thing I noticed about the announcement is that it is not an invitation to candidates, nor is it a press release.  It's somewhere in between.  IMO, it seems to be more of an informal press release than anything else.  Although touted as being hosted by the Clarksville town council, I have not talked to anyone on the council who has been consulted about it or endorsed it. There is no 'you are invited...' language...there is no explanation of why the event is being held...just the announcement of the event. 

With the above information, is this just a publicity cheerleading event help the anointed candidates, or is it really intended for the benefit of all the candidates?  I have my opinion...what's yours?

It looks like the verdict is in, and it is just as I suspected.  The announcement is an informal press release.  It was sent to media outlets, and the information appears in today's N&T (04/04/2015) almost verbatim as it was printed in the mailed out announcement.  It's a publicity stunt as much as anything else.

There is no need to send out media announcements for an event that is only for the benefit of candidates and town employees.  Why publicize an event at which the public will not be permitted to participate? 

#35 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

It looks like the verdict is in, and it is just as I suspected.  The announcement is an informal press release.  It was sent to media outlets, and the information appears in today's N&T (04/04/2015) almost verbatim as it was printed in the mailed out announcement.  It's a publicity stunt as much as anything else.

There is no need to send out media announcements for an event that is only for the benefit of candidates and town employees.  Why publicize an event at which the public will not be permitted to participate? 

Ummm....publicity? :shifty:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users