34 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Question if I may (you may, you may) since when did it become the responsibility of the Town Council to make available an opportunity for the department heads and their assistants to meet with the Candidates of both Party's and on "The People's" property and at "The People's" expense and then exclude "The People" from having the chance to question or interject their thoughts by both the Department heads and Candidates, forgive me am I in the old USSR?

And if I may continue (you must, you must) this was proposed by whom again, Mr. Popp?, the same Mr. Popp who only just a few weeks ago at a town council meeting had a major melt down about the department heads being seen with and pictures taken and put all over social media (which by the way the minutes did not reflect his entire comments and seemed too.... tilted, {another argument for electronic recording of all public meetings}) by attending the Republican meet and greet and as such could be (only in his mind) seen as a way for forcing these department heads to attend and support since these will be their future boss's and he stated that as such. 

Has Mr. Popp forgotten the 1st Amendment and what document it is from, (here's a hint Mr. Popp you took an Oath to support and defend such document every time you were sworn into office) he must have since he wished to deny those same Rights to those people but now wants to present an opportunity that promotes his personal candidates and his behind the scene agenda.

Come now Mr. Popp do you truly (and I type this with a straight face :no:) think for one second that your proposal would get all candidates some free TV and print media exposure just because you want "fairness" :sick:, for all, as you have stated and the press reported? I don't think so and you know better too, your worried and your worried good that not only will you no longer be able to be a player but that all you have been a part of will come to light and may not be as innocent of agenda's contrary to what has been put out there by yourself and others. 

I understand the "Gang of 4" bowing out on a winning office record and not losing in the re-election process, but do just that "bow out" and leave things to the soon to be Town Council alone, cause it appears not to be very statesmen like, after all let the Candidates be responsible for their campaign and whether they win or not, are up to speed on operations or what duties are what, those things are on the web let them go there and learn for themselves.

If they were asking this citizen of Clarksville for a vote of support for Candidates Fair it would be a resounding "NO!!!"

And now back to our previous schedule chatter fest.... :hyper:

• TomD likes this

#2 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

http://www.newsandtr...12f5ae72f8.html

From the N&T article:

Billing it as possibly the first of its kind, Popp proposed holding an “election fair” to allow candidates for office to learn more about the town government’s departments and get up to speed on their respective projects.

The election fair would be held on a Saturday before the primary, Popp proposed, and each department would be present and represented by a department head or a deputy.

I had to think about this 'candidate fair' for a few days before commenting.   I've spent some time weighing the pros/cons, implications, and possible benefits and possible pitfalls.

My conclusion is that although on the surface this seems like a good idea, it's really an area that is outside the responsibilities and concerns of government.  In other words, why is it the responsibility of government to endorse and participate in partisan political activities (a 'candidate fair')?

Some things that should concern every citizen:

Is it okay to compel town employees to take their personal, off-duty time to attend?

Should this type of activity be held using town property and resources?

Shouldn't town employees seek out candidates if they want to 'educate' them about their job?

Shouldn't political candidates be responsible for their own enlightenment about the jobs/responsibilities of town employees?

Why did popp insist this be done prior to the primary election, instead of after the slate for the general election is finalized?

When popp proposed the 'candidate fair' at the work session, none of the other council members seemed aware of what he was about to propose, and none spoke up in support.  I talked to some councilmen after the meeting and they told me they had no idea what was going to be proposed. He did exactly what the council had recently decided not to do...have one councilman spring something on the others without previously informing them about the details of his proposal. When a person agrees to something and then does just the opposite, what does his behavior say about his honesty and integrity? Sometimes it's hard for others in a group to say 'no' to a bully when he springs something on them without any prior notice.  

popp went ahead, without formal approval, making preliminary plans to move forward.  It was a slick political move.  (He's a slick one, ya know)  No votes are taken at work sessions, so there was virtually no way to stop his arrogance.  He instructed the council secretary to work on coordinating the affair.  Oh, BTW, popp has been on the council for over 23 years now...don't you wonder why he has not proposed something like this in all that time? Yeah, me too. Do you think he's up to something nefarious? Yeah, me too.

What is his end game? Who knows? But you can be sure of one thing...it has a lot to do with helping the political candidates he supports. Pure and simple partisan politics.

popp's team apparently is behind...he's using his incumbency as best he can to help them. Pure and simple partisan politics.

JMHO

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#3 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

This was promoted as an event to "to allow candidates for office to learn more about the town government’s departments and get up to speed on their respective projects".  In other words, an event for the benefit of candidates and town department heads.

If those who puched for this event are sincere, it will not be ballyhooed to the media to get them to cover it...that would only be a publicity stunt.  So if a press release or press notification goes out, you will know it's just another publicity ploy...an opportunity for someone's groomed candidate(s) to get some 'face time' by being provided with and asking the right questions in front of the media.  You know, the type of dog and pony show the old town council is infamous for.

Who would plan such a thing?

Edited by TomD, 25 March 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#4 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

I hear crazy talk..Popp is helping the REP party...............Hmmmmm

#5 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

I hear crazy talk..Popp is helping the REP party...............Hmmmmm

Now that's funny!! 

If popp did anything to help the GOP, I feel certain it was purely by accident.  He is such a partisan that I don't think he would ever assist the 'evil' Republicans in any way.

• Sleepy likes this

#6 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Would they be inviting all candidates?

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Would they be inviting all candidates?

Haven't you been contacted yet?  Must be an oversight by mr, popp.  Has the other Liberterian candidate been 'overlooked', too?

#8 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

I have not received an invitation. At a minimum I would have expected someone to notify our County Chair.

#9 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Who is the organizer for this event? Is it a firm thing with a set date?

You'd think someone with so much supposed knowledge of government would know the filing deadline for some candidates is after the primary. This is the second dumb idea popp's had (first was forming a committee comprised of the winners of the primary) that by their nature exclude eligible Independent and third-party candidates.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#10 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Who is the organizer for this event? Is it a firm thing with a set date?

You'd think someone with so much supposed knowledge of government would know the filing deadline for some candidates is after the primary. This is the second dumb idea popp's had (first was forming a committee comprised of the winners of the primary) that by their nature exclude eligible Independent and third-party candidates.

The event is scheduled for April 11, 9AM to 11AM at the Clarksville town hall.  As far as I know, it's a 'firm thing with a set date'.

Last I heard, it is popp's baby.  He's a former  gummint  teacher, ya know.  Perhaps a call to the town council office at 812 283-1504 might provide more insight.  Perhaps you'd like to call popp directly at 502 724-3478.  He surely has some reason for leaving out third party and independent candidates...I wonder what it is?

Edited by TomD, 26 March 2015 - 07:51 AM.

• Donna likes this

#11 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

I would like the chatters opinion.

Should candidates attend this ?

Or steer clear?

Are those who attend going to be lump in with the good ole boys?

#12 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Sleepy, do you want candidates to weigh in or the voting public?

#13 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

All of the above.....

From what I see any candidate seen with or

working with or agreeing with the old members is

viewed as a negative.

If Mr Popp is doing his own thing why attend??

#14 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

IMO, all candidates should attend if they wish. I believe the citizens who attend can talk to the candidates, ask questions, and determine for themselves whether the candidates are hanging close to the gang of 4 or working the room on their own. I believe by listening closely to what the candidates have to say, the average voter can recognize the usual gang of 4-speak from new opinions and insights. I certainly would not judge any candidate just by whether or not they chose to attend this event. Popp may have an agenda in holding this event, but if the other candidates attend, express themselves honestly and are seen in a good light, Popp's agenda just might blow up on him.

• MARVIN BOSTOCK JR and Russell Brooksbank like this

#15 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

While I agree that some sort of "transition team" scenario might be a good thing, I believe that something like that might be more beneficial after the election and before those newly elected take office. I would also think that it would be wrong to require city employees to be "captive" audiences for the purpose of politicking and for said politicking to take place on the taxpayers dime. If the stated purpose is for the department heads to meet with their new bosses and get them "up to speed" on things they are working on then why is a "candidate fair" even necessary? This can be accomplished by having one council meeting where all department heads show up and give a report. I do not believe for a minute that this was the intent. However, believing that God is the only one who truly knows what is in a man's heart I will not speculate as to what his true intentions were. As a candidate, I am very much interested in meeting with the department heads. I would like to speak to them individually, away from the crowds and in a setting where they feel they can speak with me candidly. I would like for them to give me input as to what they think is working and what isn't working, what changes they would like to see, and I would like them to be able to do so without fear of political repercussions.

As far as how showing up at this thing would be viewed, I guess it's a toss up. Some may think that it means that the new folks are being corrupted by the old folks. I can see that. Others may ask why a candidate didn't care enough to show up. I can see that also. I can tell you this, if I show up it will be for three reasons. 1). To stand for the right of the Libertarian Party candidates to be invited to such events. 2). To meet the other candidates and get to know the people I might be working with. 3) To look for areas that need improvement and projects that may need to be halted. I will not be there so that the old guard can tell me what they want to see accomplished. I have my own visions.

• kelley likes this

#16 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

As to the reasons that some candidates were apparently snubbed, there seems to be only a few possibilities.  Ignorance or partisanship seem to be the most obvious reasons.  Pick the one you thinks fits.

If I were a candidate, I would attend if at all possible...and I'd be prepared for partisan nonsense, even though the event has been promoted as a non-partisan event.  Pay close attention to who the emcee/facilitator/leader happens to be.

#17 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

While I agree that some sort of "transition team" scenario might be a good thing, I believe that something like that might be more beneficial after the election and before those newly elected take office. I would also think that it would be wrong to require city employees to be "captive" audiences for the purpose of politicking and for said politicking to take place on the taxpayers dime. If the stated purpose is for the department heads to meet with their new bosses and get them "up to speed" on things they are working on then why is a "candidate fair" even necessary? This can be accomplished by having one council meeting where all department heads show up and give a report. I do not believe for a minute that this was the intent. However, believing that God is the only one who truly knows what is in a man's heart I will not speculate as to what his true intentions were. As a candidate, I am very much interested in meeting with the department heads. I would like to speak to them individually, away from the crowds and in a setting where they feel they can speak with me candidly. I would like for them to give me input as to what they think is working and what isn't working, what changes they would like to see, and I would like them to be able to do so without fear of political repercussions.

As far as how showing up at this thing would be viewed, I guess it's a toss up. Some may think that it means that the new folks are being corrupted by the old folks. I can see that. Others may ask why a candidate didn't care enough to show up. I can see that also. I can tell you this, if I show up it will be for three reasons. 1). To stand for the right of the Libertarian Party candidates to be invited to such events. 2). To meet the other candidates and get to know the people I might be working with. 3) To look for areas that need improvement and projects that may need to be halted. I will not be there so that the old guard can tell me what they want to see accomplished. I have my own visions.

Have you been contacted...invited to attend?

#18 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

I have not as of this time.

#19 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

I ran into a candidate yesterday.  He has not been invited.

Who has been invited.

#20 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

I ran into a candidate yesterday.  He has not been invited.

It was my understanding that all candidates were to be invited.  Feel free to call mr. popp at 502 724-3478.  He seems to be the contact person.  Perhaps he can explain why your candidate has not been invited. 

Perhaps candidates need to say "Mother, may I?". :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users