17 replies to this topic

#1 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

Coming up soon, couple weeks...   we had talked about doing an Irish theme, sausages, cabbage, mashed potatoes.

If we go with this I can do the sausages and a big bowl of mashed potatoes.

oh yeah, i was gonna cook the sausages at the church and then do gravy with the drippings... easier to just do all that down there.

Edited by snowman, 26 February 2015 - 08:12 AM.

• kelley, Tina and Donna like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:27 AM

I may make a crock of Lucky Bean soup.

Cornbread would go good with all.

How do you all feel about having the second group Paul brought in to help us with drinks and desserts?

Edited by Tina, 26 February 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#3 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

I will bring all the snack items -- and some tablecloths.

• Donna likes this

#4 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

I honestly wasn't happy with Paul's last minute decision to bring in another team.  We already had the drinks and desserts taken care of for the last meal and did not need the extras.  I think Paul should have asked us ahead of time before doing this on his own.   I hope we will have a group discussion before another team is used for this meal.   I like it being a Chatter event and am willing to help buy desserts if need be.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#5 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

i guess paul thought that since our group had dwindled we needed some help. not knowing that ahead of time made it confusing.  i'd prefer keeping it just a chatter group too, mainly because communication of what we are bringing has always worked. what if someone drops the ball and we don't know that ahead of time?

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 2 others like this

#6 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

While it is nice to have a hot meal in the winter months, I sometimes think we don't have to make it so hard on ourselves.  Perhaps we should have a month where we just have sandwiches and chips along with dessert.  That should be fine.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and Donna like this

#7 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

We will bring the cabbage.  

• kelley, Tina and Donna like this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

I agree, Snowman.  Our communications are pretty spot on and worry that one month's helpers may be a no show the next.  A two hour (or less) window the day of the dinner does not give us much room to back up and punt. 

But, I also understand that if a group wants to get involved in the Exit 0 ministry, Paul would, rightfully, be hesitant to say "No."  This ministry needs all the help they can get.  Paul can help channel their efforts where needed, but may have introduced them with us because we do carry the show with lots of help from his "crew."  Let the new volunteers get their feet wet.  It's a step on a path, I'm reluctant to deny them. 

However, I will be carrying lemonade, and in honor of St. Patrick's Day, Limeade . . . just in case!

• IntegrityMatters, snowman and Tina like this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

I'm concerned that we (chatter team) are short handed and if one of us has to miss for illness or vacation, it's a lot of slack to pick up.

So, like Donna, I'm willing to give new people a chance only because maybe after we get to know them, we'll like 'em & get 'em to join chatter! :)

It's either this team or we all recruit!  I think we need about 3-4+ more people just to have good coverage.

#10 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

I will bring corn muffins! I will try to help but I generally have 2 meetings that afternoon and evening.
  • Tina and Donna like this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

What is Lucky Bean Soup?  Sounds interesting!

-and-

What can I bring?  More sausage and what kind (I was originally thinking Polish Kielbasa - but that's not Irish!)?  Cabbage?  Taters?  Desserts?

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

http://readynutritio...p-mix_14122010/

iStock_000013760382XSmall.jpg

• Donna likes this

#13 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

http://feastontheche...eve-traditions/

Along the way, I was told that I needed to eat “bean soup” on New Year’s Day if I wanted good luck. Annoyed, I ignored the advice as I thought it was my good friend’s excuse for giving me a bag of dried beans for Christmas…

I learned a few interesting facts and have decided to list them in case some of you out there might want to heed superstition’s advice and usher in the change in calendar with an arsenal of New Year’s traditions!

• Symbolizing prosperity, Black-eyed peas, popular in the South, represent pennies, while cabbage or leafy greens signify paper currency, and cornbread signifies gold. In the South, it’s traditional to serve black-eyed peas with leftover Christmas ham or a ham hock and cornbread dipped in honey as the first meal on January 1st. Apparently the key is to eat the peas, no matter what, and absolutely they must be the first thing you ingest after midnight.

I figure since the theme is St Patrick's day, it works for it as well!

Edited by Tina, 27 February 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#14 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

If these new people would like to help, I don't think they should be limited to desserts.  We always seem to have plenty of desserts and snacks. Perhaps Paul could get them to help with the main course and serving.   If one of us has to miss for illness or vacation, the desserts/snacks are easy to cover because there is little or no preparation.  If I am gone, I would always buy the snacks and give them to someone else to deliver.  Same way with desserts and fruit.   It is the main course where the help is needed if they want to help.  jmo

• snowman and Tina like this

#15 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

What is Lucky Bean Soup?  Sounds interesting!

-and-

What can I bring?  More sausage and what kind (I was originally thinking Polish Kielbasa - but that's not Irish!)?  Cabbage?  Taters?  Desserts?

i was thinking those breakfast links. i can get all that we need. maybe bring some mashed potatoes... i'm gonna do some also.

• Donna likes this

#16 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

I'll drop off some fruit. Do we know for sure that the other team will be doing desserts this month?

#17 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

So far we have for this Thursday line up:

Snowman - Sausage

Runnergirl - Cabbage

Tina - Lucky Bean Soup

Rosie the Riveter - Corn muffins

Donna & Snowman - mashed potatoes

Donna K - Fruit

IM - Snacks

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#18 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Donna will be glad to cover desserts ....
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users