10 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

http://www.newsandtr...html?mode=print

It's deja vu all over again (sorry, Yogi). 

The town manager issue is off the table, at least unless and until  the council that is seated in 2016 decides to move forward with it.

This makes the sixth flip-flop of the town council related to the possible hiring of a town manager.

Whose idea was it this time to reverse direction?  Councilmman popp...again.  The consensus was unanimous, with Tetley, Kraft, and Polston flipping direction from their previous position.  I have whiplash and an upset stomach from all these gyrations and sudden direction changes...perhaps an Alka-Seltzer will help...maybe just let me off this roller coaster. :sick:

Does popp do things such as this to assert his arrogance and make sure his 'followers' will continue to fall in line?  Or has he regained some common sense, after his recent unstatesmanlike tantrums?

JMO.

Edited by TomD, 24 February 2015 - 08:27 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Diogenes like this

#2 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

Common sense is seldom exhibited it power crazy politicians....

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Diogenes like this

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

I read the story on this today...it's been an hour or so. Brain hasn't totally recovered from the abuse.

Edited by kelley, 24 February 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#4 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

I'm sure all of us feel as though, surely, the other shoe is about to drop...wait for it, wait for it....

Regardless, if there are no strings attached somewhere, to someone, this is a good move. We lambasted the gang of 4 leader when, out of the blue, he wanted a group love session of this council, and the next elected council, to each have a word in it. The catch was that the decision would be made while the current council (i.e. gang of four) had the power to make the final decision, while the newly elected members only consulted since they had yet to take office.

So, I actually believe he did something good here...except, I'm still waiting for that other shoe....

:unsure:

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, TomD and 1 other like this

#5 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:01 AM

I read the story on this today...it's been an hour or so. Brain hasn't totally recovered from the abuse.

I know, "the pain, the pain" still recovering myself, six times this has been brought up for vote, cheese with crackers, "the pain, ooooh the pain"

#6 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

I'm sure all of us feel as though, surely, the other shoe is about to drop...wait for it, wait for it....

Regardless, if there are no strings attached somewhere, to someone, this is a good move. We lambasted the gang of 4 leader when, out of the blue, he wanted a group love session of this council, and the next elected council, to each have a word in it. The catch was that the decision would be made while the current council (i.e. gang of four) had the power to make the final decision, while the newly elected members only consulted since they had yet to take office.

So, I actually believe he did something good here...except, I'm still waiting for that other shoe....

I say we all wear hard hats till January 2016 just in case that shoe is a big, high in the sky, falling shoe that has reached max airspeed.

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

Ya know, I think most would agree that putting off consideration of hiring a town manager is best left to the council that is seated in 2016.

But waiting for 'the other shoe to drop' is a wise thing.

Here's why, IMO:

In the many years that I have observed the behavior of popp, one thing I've learned is that he is a wily politician who promotes ideas that seem altruistic on the surface, but really are intended to promote his personal agenda, his political party, or his pals (usually in that order).  This appears to be no different.

The whole 'on again, off again' fiasco appears to be popp's cunning use of his incumbency to create controversy, and an issue his party can use to 'divide and conquer'.

One thing you can be sure of.  If popp starts touting something as good for the citizens, good for the town, or good for the future...be very careful.  Most likely, you are about to be suckered. 

I believe that postponing the town manager issue, combined with the 'candidate fair' is merely an attempt to use the town manager decision as a wedge issue in the coming election.  He has already planted the seed of disagreement by attempting to give the impression that the cost of a town manager is astronomical...this 'cost consideration' coming from an elected official who has wasted many thousands of taxpayer dollars as head of our Redevelopment Commission. 

Folks, please don't fall for this political trick.  His hand-picked candidates will be attempting to divide the opposition (and town employees...that's the reason for the 'candidate fair') in hopes of gaining footing with this wedge issue.  I hope you don't fall for it.

Don't be fooled...it's just partisan politics.

JMO

Edited by TomD, 26 February 2015 - 08:08 AM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#8 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

Tom,

I agree on all of what you said...just as all readers should remember that on the night they decided to do away with the search for the town manager on their initial paranoia, they had discussed cuts and non-renewal items that would have paid for the town manager's position that night. AS A WARNING...anything said by any member of this Gang of Four, and some that are running from past administrations, should be taken with a grain of salt. They will say anything to promote their agenda.

#9 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

Who wants to take lessons from Mr. Popp?

Anyone???

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

Who wants to take lessons from Mr. Popp?

Anyone???

Kevin_Spacey_House_of_Cards.jpg

#11 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

Ya know, I think most would agree that putting off consideration of hiring a town manager is best left to the council that is seated in 2016.

But waiting for 'the other shoe to drop' is a wise thing.

Here's why, IMO:

In the many years that I have observed the behavior of popp, one thing I've learned is that he is a wily politician who promotes ideas that seem altruistic on the surface, but really are intended to promote his personal agenda, his political party, or his pals (usually in that order).  This appears to be no different.

The whole 'on again, off again' fiasco appears to be popp's cunning use of his incumbency to create controversy, and an issue his party can use to 'divide and conquer'.

One thing you can be sure of.  If popp starts touting something as good for the citizens, good for the town, or good for the future...be very careful.  Most likely, you are about to be suckered. 

I believe that postponing the town manager issue, combined with the 'candidate fair' is merely an attempt to use the town manager decision as a wedge issue in the coming election.  He has already planted the seed of disagreement by attempting to give the impression that the cost of a town manager is astronomical...this 'cost consideration' coming from an elected official who has wasted many thousands of taxpayer dollars as head of our Redevelopment Commission. 

Folks, please don't fall for this political trick.  His hand-picked candidates will be attempting to divide the opposition (and town employees...that's the reason for the 'candidate fair') in hopes of gaining footing with this wedge issue.  I hope you don't fall for it.

Don't be fooled...it's just partisan politics.

JMO

Or perhaps I give him credit for being much smarter than he actually is?  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users