8 replies to this topic

#1 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

An experiment to see whether people would recognize their own loved ones if they were homeless.

http://www.sun-gazin...zed-tore-heart/

Edited by kelley, 23 February 2015 - 05:21 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Bikerdude and Donna like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Amazing.  

I know this is so cliche since there's a song by the name but...

What if Jesus came back like that?

Matthew 25:40

Edited by Tina, 23 February 2015 - 06:31 PM.

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#3 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

I was strongly counseled this past weekend that if we turn a blind eye and stop feeding "those people" they will magically disappear. 

This on the same day we learned that a four year client of a Louisville men's homeless center was found frozen on their steps.  This from people who claim to be Christians. 

WWJD? 

Apparently, they believe He would've thrown the "bums" out! 

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#4 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

I was strongly counseled this past weekend that if we turn a blind eye and stop feeding "those people" they will magically disappear. 

This on the same day we learned that a four year client of a Louisville men's homeless center was found frozen on their steps.  This from people who claim to be Christians. 

WWJD? 

:hmm: ......

It like I've said a'fore in here........MOST of'em......think it CAIN'T happen to'em........ :hmm:

I hope they don' ever have ta find out........jus' how easy it can......... :whistle:  

Edited by Bikerdude, 23 February 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#5 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

WWJD? 

Unfortunately this is a shining example of how NOT to help someone!  This poor man was a client of this shelter for 4 years and STILL froze to death.  Fixing homeless people meals and volunteering at shelters may make people feel good about themselves but the fact is in many instances you are simply not helping these folks.  You only postpone the inevitable unless you can somehow teach them to be self-sufficient.  This poor man should have been institutionalized.  Our parents and grandparents were smart enough to know that don't turn incompetent people out on the street and expect it to turn out well.  Carter and Reagan made a big mistake by de-institutionalizing our mentally ill and incompetent.  Society's focus should be more on helping those with short-term needs instead of using limited resources on people that should not be on the street in the first place.  

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Unfortunately this is a shining example of how NOT to help someone!  This poor man was a client of this shelter for 4 years and STILL froze to death.  Fixing homeless people meals and volunteering at shelters may make people feel good about themselves but the fact is in many instances you are simply not helping these folks.  You only postpone the inevitable unless you can somehow teach them to be self-sufficient.  This poor man should have been institutionalized.  Our parents and grandparents were smart enough to know that don't turn incompetent people out on the street and expect it to turn out well.  Carter and Reagan made a big mistake by de-institutionalizing our mentally ill and incompetent.  Society's focus should be more on helping those with short-term needs instead of using limited resources on people that should not be on the street in the first place.  

I can tell you that Paul with Exit 0 is not an enabler.  I wouldn't serve with them if I felt he was a pushover.

• Donna likes this

#7 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

Correct if if I'm wrong please but wasn't the shelter he passed away at a day shelter only? So they don't open for clients at night during these freezing temps?

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

The article in Saturday's CJ did not describe the shelter as a day shelter only, but I do not know of any shelter that does not extend their services on white flag nights. 

Oldgoat, your post just made me sad.  

#9 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:29 AM

The article in Saturday's CJ did not describe the shelter as a day shelter only, but I do not know of any shelter that does not extend their services on white flag nights. 

Oldgoat, your post just made me sad.  

That was not my intent Donna!  It's very obvious that you have a very kind heart and truly want to help these people.  I'm just a realist!  If you live on a busy highway and have a dog or other pet that you love dearly, you better put up a fence to keep them in or it won't end well.  If we contain and protect our pets for their own safety shouldn't we at least do the same for our human brothers and sisters that cannot or will not take care of themselves?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users